Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

stone chips

Old 07-08-2015, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stone chips

right, not a great start on the cosmetic front.

Picked a little chip in the pass door within a week, looks through to metal to me (it's tiny, 1-2mm) and last night my wife leg go of the door in the wind and it blew into a brick wall. Only a light tap, but enough to take a few specs of paint off the leading edge, again to metal it seems.

so, just called dealer who advised best to get it smoothed and painted as if water has already touched the metal (obviously has rained) it could corrode under the touch up.

Seems a bit extreme to me, I assumed a touch up pen would do the job to protect it, so long as it's dry and clean on application?

Any suggestions? (considered divorce, but more expensive than fixing up the door).

As for the car, it's unexcitingly rapid and business as usual, remains a good buy.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Dab of kurust on the metal if you must and then a touchup pen. Me ... if it was clean and no signs of corrosion, i'd clean it up and just use a touchup pen before the winter / tin worm gets at it.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 AM

cheers, that's what I was thinking. had another look and may not be down to bare metal anyway, is very small and might just be undercoat I can see and not steel.

next Q, would you get VW or take the halfrauds kit (looks pretty good pen / fine applicator rather than the 2" brush most touch up paints have.

cheers UF
Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If there was any doubt that you'd breached their paint warranty requirements by using non approved ..... i think ( for the sake of 20 quid or whatever ) i'd use the VW stuff and keep the receipt for it.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:08 AM

fair point.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Plus - it won't rust immediately. If you touch it up after cleaning it up, it may take a couple of years, maybe more to appear. By then, you won't have the thing.
I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a new stone chip on the white GTD bumper, I heard it strike whilst on the way back from Kent last week. When I CBA, I'll use any old white touch up pen. They're unlikely to be charging (the lease company) for that on hand-back, its fair wear & tear. But like you, I like to mask any small damage.
The only headache running these things on lease, are door dings. Better to collect them all up, then repair just before handing back. So far, touch wood, none whatsoever.
Which I find extraordinary with Maude being the clumsier of us both.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 AM

i had a little look at the fair wear and tear guidance. surprised what was allowed, I think it's 2 door dings per panel accepted?

but as you say, better wait til a month before you are due to give it back and get it looked at and sorted in one go. We did same with CRV, big dent in door within a week of owning. drove around for 2 years with it and got sorted before handing back, typically, not another mark on it in that time.

incredible.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That's Normal for Nick...

I find that the water-based paint usually falls off at the galvanising, so you'd be unlucky if you've breached that. If you build up the touch-up paint & flat it back & polish up, they'll probably not notice anyway.

I've touched-in a couple of small nose chips on the 86 using Honda Supermarine Blue(!) and it only notices right up close.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Even if the galv layer under the paint is breached galv is,self sacrificial and will repair it's self .

Paint doesn't like sticking to galv in any case need special primers and etch bond
Old 07-13-2015, 12:47 AM

ok, so a few light coats of basecoat on has done a decent job but obviously is a 'bubble' effect as the new paint has 'edges'... I am NOT taking wet and dry to it, would a decent scratch repair (meguirs) be any use to try and blend it in? I'd rather not take a cutting agent to the paint, but guess that is the only way.

Assume I'd need to do this before applying the clear coat otherwise woul just cut that back aswell?

gave the whole car a nice wash and wax on the weekend, looks lovely, but by god red paint shows imperfections. Was a bird shit on roof for 2 days (I didn't even notice it really) and when cleaned, it's left a mark. Will give it a good go with wax, barely visible really, but you can see it's had a go at the paint.

This sort of thing either didn't notice, or I simply didn't care on the CRV

I mean is it really feasible to take an emergency car wash kit in case a bird poops on your car? I left our old Civic at the airport for a week a few years back and it got 'abused' by a flock of osterich's I assume... sat there all week with it and don't recall that marking the paint.

Quick Reply: stone chips