Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Speeding Ticket

Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Speeding Ticket

Had read that Humberside Police weren't going to prosecute people caught doing up to 39mph in a 30 zone but just received the following letter from Avon and somerset Constabulary:

On Tuesday 12 July 2010 between 13:16 and 147:01 a Speedwatch operation was in place on the A403 west to at Easter Compton an dwere recording vehicles and their speed, this stretch of road is within a prescribed 30mph zone.

The above vehicle which is registered to you was seen to be traveling along that road at 39mph which was exceeding the prescribed speed limit.

On this occasion this is a WARNING letter. The details have been recorded and if this vehicle is identified contravening the prescribed speed limit in the future the driver could face Court Proceedings.

Two questions really:

1. What's the point of having a 30 speed limit if they aren't going to prosecute until you hit 40mph?

2. This is a van and the drivers swap so how do you show that it was a different driver, should the need arise?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

1. I think this is good, maybe they applied sense?
2. I believe you can declare this and end up with just a fine (but it's looked at carefully because mr loophole used to try it on).
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 AM

I don't actually have to complete any details and send it back so don't have to inform them of the driver.

So say the van gets caught next week doing 39 in the same place, they will automatically assume it is the same driver and send a ticket rather than a warning letter.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM

I think they assume that the owner of the van has spoken to all drivers and therefore everyone has had a warning!

I must say having got 3 points and £60 fine for doing 32mph in a 30 limit I am most upset!

M
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 AM

That's the lowest I've ever heard of someone getting a ticket (other than 15mph in the Rotherhite Tunnel during works)!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I would question their 'in the future' i.e. how long do they plan on keeping the record?

Were it an actual 3 points you would at least know where you stand.

As it is I doubt if there is any statute in place for this.

It sounds like local desk jocks getting large.

---------------

Given the current Gov't plans to abolish speed cams ....
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by arsie,Jul 26 2010, 01:59 PM
I would question their 'in the future' i.e. how long do they plan on keeping the record?
That's a good point - how long is 'in the future'?

It's a bit like the Section 59 (think that's the right one). Where if you get two on the vehicle, then the vehicle can be taken from you. But what if you were to sell it on and then that driver get one - does the previous one still count?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by surfymark,Jul 26 2010, 12:52 PM
I think they assume that the owner of the van has spoken to all drivers and therefore everyone has had a warning!

I must say having got 3 points and £60 fine for doing 32mph in a 30 limit I am most upset!

M
Was that from a fixed speed camera or from police standing with a handheld or what?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 AM

I think this means that a volunteer was brandishing a speed camera and recording data, therefore this cannot be used as a method of fining / endorsing license merely as a warning

In the future I think can be literally any point in time, it is data which is not destroyed.
I also think that the assumption is there should be a mechanism for determining who was driving when, which is verifiable.

I'd be tempted to get some advice as to what happens, it might be if you didn 't tell them about the possible situation then its a bad thing, but I suspect thier answer will be it's down to you as the owner of the vehicle to assertain such info.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 AM

I like it.
It's the written equivalent of a cop telling you to slow down without actually giving you points, you get the shock and awe style warning without having 3 of your 12 points marked.

Perhaps the person doing the speedtrap wasn't a cop, and perhaps wasn't fully trained.. I remember a recent court case that got a load of tickets thrown out.
Maybe this way the potentially innacurate speed check data can still be used to send a letter of warning.
Potentially it's no different to you or me phoning the police to report a dangerous driver.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket