Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Speed limit to be reduced 60->50mph

Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Speed limits used to be set using the 85th percentile method.

This has been abandoned, since drivers are too reckless to be able to judge what is a safe speed along a given stretch of road, and thus these prunked-up prats now judge what is a safe speed along a given road.

Obviously, the 30-40 MPH to which Jo refers is 'too fast' so it will be reduced to 30 for no other reason than it'd 'too fast'. Then a few weeks later Kojak gets out his Kodak and Kerching!!

Another good specs wheeze would be cloning S2000s, thus proving they can actually do the speed of light. Other car clubs could join in and jam up the system as well.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The popular mantra is that "speed" is responsible for a third of all traffic accidents; that the definition of "speeding" is breaking a speed limit; and that, therefore, by stopping drivers speeding, speed cameras were saving large numbers of lives.

But the road safety expert Paul Smith did a lot of research into this and found that the stats didn
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by russellhq,Mar 8 2009, 03:32 AM
Just ban bikes, most road acidents involve them anyway
**** OFF!!

[QUOTE]...I
Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch,Mar 8 2009, 11:39 PM
I do not believe they work backwards.
As far as I know the truvelo is the only camera that can take a picture of a vehicle moving away from it. Otherwise they would be using them backwards already, to catch the bikers.

With regard to hard work, I am refering to when the police managed to track down a repeat offender who was caught several times on the same (front facing) camera.
I believe they caught him in the end because he used different bikes and they tracked him down through the sales.
Very cleverly IMO. And he got what he deserved.
TRUVELO only works with a vehicle approaching it.

GATSO only works with a vehicle driving away from it.

Mobile SCAMERA vans can now operate in both directions (see the guy recently caught doing 122mph with his son on the back, they quickly turned the camera to catch him.

SPECS can only work with vehicles approaching, but I read recently they are close to producing a new version designed to work mutli-directional get bikes too - doubt most existing systems would be changed though.

A bike is the way forward

FWIW I totally ignore the local roads that have changed from 60 to 50 already. However, I am very conscious that there are some dangerous junctions on the road, and tend to drive slower than 50 on the approach to certain areas.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=Stiggywig,Mar 9 2009, 01:45 PM] The popular mantra is that "speed" is responsible for a third of all traffic accidents; that the definition of "speeding" is breaking a speed limit; and that, therefore, by stopping drivers speeding, speed cameras were saving large numbers of lives.

But the road safety expert Paul Smith did a lot of research into this and found that the stats didn
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by moff,Mar 9 2009, 03:20 PM
TRUVELO only works with a vehicle approaching it.

GATSO only works with a vehicle driving away from it.
That's right ... I always get them mixed up
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
B B

There will be much huffing and puffing and over-reaction to this, but the more alert will have noticed that already many local councils have been siting 50mph signs on their local roads. One day there are no signs the next there are signs AND road markings.
Face it folks, the day will soon come when all roads will be subject to speed limits, and you will be checked for average speed throughout your journey. Thre will be no escape and everybody will have to drive at the same speed. Remember the endless convoys when the fuel crisis imposed speed limits? It will be hell.

The day will also come when via your mobile you have to book, and pay for, a place on the road then join a solid traffic-train to your destination. When you travel will be dependant on a space being available.
Remember this in a few years and see if I'm right. Hopefully iI will be pushing up daisies by then.

Driving & motor cars as a hobby is about to go the way of much else in this country.

So enjoy whilst you can the remaining years if not months, for it sure ain't going to get better.
Thank God I'm not in my formative years and unlike so many have decades of dreary driving ahead of me. I had the best years from the fifties until now, and feel sorry for the many thatwill never enjoy the freedom, challenge and thrills of motoring as it once was.

BTW have you tried the alternative, off road cycling or walking?
Don't bother, the lanes and paths are cluttered with bikers and 4 x 4's.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=B B,Mar 9 2009, 07:05 PM] Driving & motor cars as a hobby is about to go the way of much else in this country.

So enjoy whilst you can the remaining years
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM

It's really gutting, the more articles I read about this, the angrier I become.

This government is beyond stupid. A ridiculous scheme, blanket speed limits are unjustified.

What is the percentage of fatalities caused through speeding on our rural roads? I would suggest the deaths or likely to be through:

- Excessive speeds for particular sections of road (not necessarily breaking the speed limit)
- Hazards near the road side, tree's, lamposts
- Obstacles in the road and poor road layout
- The fact that it takes on average 3 times longer for an accident to arrive
- Motorbikes - how many biker deaths make up this total?

I can already imagine the carnage now, everyone stuck at 40mph on our country roads, with no-one overtaking

If this really does get followed up with 2/3's roads and with SPECS, is there really any point having a fast car except for track days? I only really get pleasure from driving on some empty local back roads.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Moff, you're forgetting lousy road maintenance.

There are potholes in corners that only low-slung DW Hondas can deal with fast.

A tall, narrow poxbox is deflected and bikers are off.

Bikers are the only dramatically increasing fatatity, sadly. I mean, sadly that it's increasing. No I don't; If road deaths within the Palace of Westminster were up infinitely, I'd have Schadenfreude.

Quick Reply: Speed limit to be reduced 60->50mph