Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Speed limit to be reduced 60->50mph

Old 03-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Speed limit to be reduced 60->50mph

So fun is going to be reduced even more

In the Times here!

The runaway nanny state keeps on truckin' ...
Old 03-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Some poor confused and/or bribed by the average speed camera manufacturer guy says...
But when you compare that to the fact we are killing 3,000 people a year on our roads
Heart Disease kills 100000 people per year.

So per expenditure, why not introduce a token scheme where by the more you visit the gym, the more you are allowed to eat crap?

This would save thousands of lives!!

Better yet - just make cigarettes illegal. Make alcohol illegal. (BTW - I don't drink or smoke, but getting rid of these items is totally stupid!)

Dropping the limit to 50 will only cause more accidents as people will continue to watch their speedo instead of the road. In the meantime, the slower throughput will also result in more traffic.

How long is it going to be before a curfew?

Actually, there isn't any money to be made in a curfew.

They will introduce a night tax or something because going out at night is dangerous and it's when nasty things can happen, so you need a special badge and this will cost you
Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 AM

I think they need to ban night because night time is when most people die on the roads.

In fact, what they really should do is ban roads and cars, then we could use horses and cars. The world would become green and happy.

Write to your MPs guys, this is ridiculous.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they will see a large backlash against this and not only from the motoring enthusiast community.

Are they really that stupid or do they think that the general public is really that stupid ?

I really can't decide which one it is.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Mar 8 2009, 11:04 AM
I think they will see a large backlash against this and not only from the motoring enthusiast community.
I'm not so sure they would.

Plenty drivers don't do much more than 50 mph in smaller rural roads anyway ie the ones they are likely to be reducing (if this story is reliable).

While they may alienate us, I suspect we are in a minority as bunch of car geeks, and are not significant politically.

The "general public" also have a rather a lot of other things on their mind just now ie their jobs, their mortgage, their pensions and savings etc. I don't think being made to drive a bit more slowly is that high on the list of things likely to upset them.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 AM

Just ban bikes, most road acidents involve them anyway
Old 03-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

someone needs to crack a way to confuse the camera

like the old paint them with nail varnish trick

I had to make a long trip recently - lots of unfamiliar roads so high likelihood of falling foul of a scamera

fortunately, someone had nicked my number plate before I set off

first time ever a thief may have saved me money
Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Mar 8 2009, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Some poor confused and/or bribed by the average speed camera manufacturer guy says...
But when you compare that to the fact we are killing 3,000 people a year on our roads
Heart Disease kills 100000 people per year.
And I heard a radio ad for asbestos dangers recently that stated, more people die from asbestosis poising every year than in road accidents.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 AM

To be honest, if they replace the signs with a sign it will probably improve the speed.
As most of the idiots I come across seem to think that means 40 mph

I have actually been questioning people, and I'm always amazed and the number of, seemingly intelligent, friends and work mates that really thought it was 40.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:00 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really resent the 'we' in the following quote:

Don't tar me with the same brush thank you Mr. Politikunt.

I haven't been killing anybody for the last 19 years on our roads and I have no intentions to do so in the future.

In fact I'm more than a little confused, I always drive to the conditions which means that I often transgress the speed limit, but so far I haven't killed anybody, nor been in an accident for that matter. I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Quick Reply: Speed limit to be reduced 60->50mph