So this is what it must be like to drive a Beemer

Old 01-10-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ade
[B]

Dead right.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:16 PM

There's me thinking this was a topic about having a Coke can slide under the throttle pedal and you not being able to hit

On the leaving a gap thingie, if you're not doing the overtaking yourself, then IMO an advanced thinking driver would feel obliged to help a driver who is. If that means giving up some space on the road, then so be it, whether it's legitimate or caused by someone being rude and bunking in. Long lines of 'non-overtakers' are particular nuisance here and we don't have hardly any dual carriageways to ease the problem, so sometimes bunking in is the only thing to do - who's being rudest, the guy who bunks in, or the one who won't keep space for someone who is prepared to overtake?

When all's said and done though you have to remember, it's a road after all, not a racetrack!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Man's Best
[B]
If that means giving up some space on the road, then so be it, whether it's legitimate or caused by someone being rude and bunking in.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:25 AM

Just to add my 2p to this, I have decided to order a new highway code and also the police driving Roadcraft due to how different my view is to some others on here.

I only refer to ordinary single carriageway A road overtaking and not to the other circumstances mentioned around motorways or lane merging.

I have always believed that space should be left to enable a faster vehicle to overtake a queue of cars safely one at a time. I would go as far to say that this is a natural reaction to something quicker appearing behind me in the same way that I dip main beam so as not to blind oncoming drivers...... I don't recall being taught either habit but I just do.

I am not in anyway Mr Polite Pushover in motoring circumstances, a favourite past time of mine is provoking the rep mobiles on the M6. However, I did think it was a basic right of way for an overtaking vehicle to slot into a queue.

I have been wrong many times before, but this one surprises me.

Noony.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Banned

If you do overtake(safely), a lot of thicko's flash the lights like crazy, as if you've done something wrong
Old 01-11-2003, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A classic situation is coming into West Brom from Walsall, at the roundabout where it meets The Black Country Route.

There are two lanes just before the rb. basically a left lane for turning left and for those wishing to go straight on, and a right hand lane for turning right. people often take the righthand lane then go straiight on, which is a single lane carriageway. Nothing wrong with that IMHO as long as you've considered that the guy in the left lane may be doing the same, and you need a fair turn of speed getting away to make the exit from the roundabout without hindering anyone in the left lane also coming off the rb and also going staright ahead. If there's a van or a Punto or something in the left lane as I approach the rb, I'll happily take the right lane and scoot smartly acoss. I wouldn't dream of expecting to get away with it if there wasa 911 in the left lane!

Yet time again when I'm waiting at the rb in the left lane some tosser in a van or runabout will pull alongside in the right hand lane and try to beat you off the rb at the same exit. Sorry, but why should I endorse his stupidity and his bad decision by letting him in? And don't they get upset!
Old 01-11-2003, 08:33 AM

all this road rage I keep thinking this thread is for the US. Be safe friends.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Nothing wrong with that IMHO as long as you've considered that the guy in the left lane may be doing the same, and you need a fair turn of speed getting away to make the exit from the roundabout without hindering anyone in the left lane also coming off the rb and also going staright ahead. If there's a van or a Punto or something in the left lane as I approach the rb, I'll happily take the right lane and scoot smartly acoss. I wouldn't dream of expecting to get away with it if there wasa 911 in the left lane!

Yes Cedric, exactly.

You haven't carved anyone up or forced them to give way. That's the rub.
It always amazes me that when people find themselves in the wrong lane, it is just too much trouble to go with the signals and sort themselves out afterwards.