Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

So this is what it must be like to drive a Beemer

Old 01-09-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to justify myself anyway.

Just before I got to my house, 5 car queue doing 30 mph in a 60, no space between any of the cars. There were a few decent enough straights but not enough to overtake 5 cars (Didn't overtake any in the end). If these drivers are happy doing 30mph then they should be considerate enough to leave space to overtake.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]
had a very bad dose of road rage against me a few weeks back and have been pretty shocked ever since.......involved a white van swerving around and slamming the brakes in front of me.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:48 AM

one of the reasons why I got rid of the M3 was the negative reaction - I got sick of it in the end
Old 01-09-2003, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JamesM
[B]
, Steve, you should have given it some , then the White Van Toss Pot!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Your white van man sounds neanderthal, but from his perspective you probably did one of the things guaranteed to wind people up:

- you 'cut in at the last minute'

I don't suppose he saw it from your perspective - as far as he was concerned you cut him up. Unfortunately he was also a nutter!

You could phone the police and I can assure you it will be a complete waste of time.

On the subject of barging in/cutting in/whatever, I think that if you FORCE other drivers to have to brake or give way you should expect a reaction.

Cutting in on roads where there is a queue or roadworks is guaranteed to wind people up when there has been plenty of advance warning of a lane closed. You are just making a statement that your progress is more important than theirs.

I would like to see the universal introduction of those signs that say 'Use both lanes, merge in turn'. They work really well in my experience.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:04 AM

If he threw someting at you, I'd defo call the police!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by stevenleith
After he had thrown the metal bar at me i couldn't go past him in case he did it again
What an absolute w%nker! Fair enough you cut him up but there's no need for crap like that.

Was the car okay?
Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Banned

This white van man sounds like a total moron, there is just no need to have that kind of reaction.
I would definitely contact the police, at least the police might go round and see him. He would think twice about his actions the next time.
Any damage to the car?

I've pulled over in the past when people have gestured for me to do so, most people just keep going and don't stop, when they see your not crapping your self.

The worrying thing is that this sort of road rage is getting more prevalent
Old 01-09-2003, 07:19 AM

What a f*cking tosser!!! I agree that if you cut in front of someone (even if its not your fault) that you should expect some kind of reaction, but that's WAY over the top!!

Last time I had a run in with a white van, I had eggs in my car (don't ask why!) and threw one in his open window catching the driver smack bang in the forehead!

Glad that you and the car are OK Steve!
Old 01-09-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Just had a reasonably quick drive home in my Impreza and am amazed by the reaction of other drivers. One guy called me a w*nker and tried to race me when I overtook him, and two other drivers flashed and shouted obscenities at me as I was overtaking them.

It must be the "Joe Isuzu" effect. I'm not sure if Isuzu ran the commercials on your side of the Atlantic. A few years back they had one commercial that started with two guys driving a 911 on the autobahn(sp?). The Porsche driver looks in his rear view mirror and sees someone flashing their headlights way back in the distance. It turns out to be Joe Isuzu in an econo-box. He zooms past the 911 and the Porsche driver mutters "I hate Joe Isuzu".

Quick Reply: So this is what it must be like to drive a Beemer