Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Sky to broadcast F1 from next year

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last of the Summer Wine, every time.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I have sky but not sky sports, I certainly won't take it for F1 so it'll be highlights for me, I reckon the BBC had to cut costs and instead of dumping overpaid has been presenters or crappy shows it just took the easy way out, these cuts won't affect the Olympics gravy train or overseas reporting jollies though.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbduo
I think this will be the end of F1 as we know it. Another reason for the teams to spin off and make their own series.
i think it's very dramtic statement.
it maybe true - but it's only valid for UK viewers.
rest of the world doesn't watch F1 on BBC (we want - but BBC blocks it) - so affect to the Frormula1 industry won't be that dramatic.
what's the share of UK F1 viewers from the around hte world viewers?

i think SKY alredy brodcasts F1 in Germany.

i personally got sick from watching/paying local sports premium channel - so i installed sattellite dish and i watch a russian channel which transltaes all sessions in HD.
but then i download from the net BBC's race build up and post race forum.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Croc
i think SKY alredy brodcasts F1 in Germany.
It's on both Sky and FTA channel RTL. I've watched a few races there on RTL.

If you look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_broadcasters

A lot of countries have more than one broadcaster covering F1.

A bit disapointing they didn't talk about it on the practice show yesterday, but I did laugh at Martin Brundle's Job Centre comment.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:12 AM

And Jake mentions it now!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1311952358' post='20827794

[quote name='gbduo' timestamp='1311950741' post='20827703']

News (followed by Ch.4 news for an impartial review)

That's quite funny.

Left-wing BBC News and even more left wing Ch.4 News. For impartiality/balance you need...Sky News!
F1 Fans are completely different to football fans, plus there are 20 races in a F1 season, how many football matches are there in the same space, 100, 150? If you have to pay nigh on £80 a month for phone, TV, Internet and Sky Sports, the VfM is better on football than on F1. Why would you pay nearly £1000 a year to watch the F1 season? You just wouldn't.

Why you would pay £1000 a year to Sky in the first place is the next question.
I get my TV (incl Sky sports), BB and phone from Virgin Media for around £60 a month.

Plenty of peole have switched to Skysports in order to watch a variety of sports. Many for Football (around 80 Premiership Games per season are shown, most people will only watch 20 of those), lots for cricket (we can now watch Ashes matches live from Australia, something that never happened before Sky), US PGA Golf, Super League Rugby, Premiership Rugby, Darts etc etc.

F1 will be a good addition to their portfolio.

Would I pay for Sky Sports just for F1? Probably not.

Will I watch the races on the BBC instead of Sky when there is a choice? Time will tell. Certainly the race coverage will be the same as it's supplied by Formula One - all that will differ is the commentary/pit lane reporting.

Sky will tailor the coverage to the audience - contrast its cricket/rugby union coverage to its football coverage - the difference is marked.

Just be grateful it's not on ITV.
Haha, Ch. 4 news at least goes into some detail on news stories though, it is quite lefty but you can normally filter it out from the facts in Ch.4 news compared to BBC News constant drivel and speculation from 'experts'

Sky News certainly has some characters on it, I love some of the videos on youtube from Sky, I think it was Boulton or something who nearly had a punch up with the Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell in the run up to the General Election last year, I was really hoping for it because that is what Campbell needs, someone to punch the *&nt round the face.

I go and support my local premiership rugby team, London Irish at the Madejski which is close to me and watch the Rugby highlights on ITV4, six nations on BBC. I just can't justify spending the best part of £50-60 a month to just watch the F1.

Internet streaming is the way forward, I believe RTL offer a free stream, you just put Five Live on as the commentary.
[/quote]

The clip that you refer to is Alistair Campbell coaxing Adam Boulton into exposing his bias, for which Adam Boulton was subsequently required to apologise and should have lost his job. As Campbell said: "Dinity Adam, dignity.."

Please go and live somewhere else - you might then understand the value of the BBC; its superb here, but priceless as an export where there is no such output. As for calling it's news operation "left wing" - it's political editor is the former chair of the Conservative Student Association and a member of the Bullingdon Club.

You are Melanie Phillips - "the real villain in the hacking scandal is the BBC" - and I claim my £5.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory
The clip that you refer to is Alistair Campbell coaxing Adam Boulton into exposing his bias, for which Adam Boulton was subsequently required to apologise and should have lost his job. As Campbell said: "Dinity Adam, dignity.."

Please go and live somewhere else - you might then understand the value of the BBC; its superb here, but priceless as an export where there is no such output. As for calling it's news operation "left wing" - it's political editor is the former chair of the Conservative Student Association and a member of the Bullingdon Club.

You are Melanie Phillips - "the real villain in the hacking scandal is the BBC" - and I claim my £5.
For sure, I don't think anyone was denying that BBC News is good, I was just remarking that I also watch Channel 4 news for more in depth discussion of the issues which BBC can't fit in a 30 minute slot. Newsnight is good for this as well. I don't think I ever questioned that it was inaccurate and although I still think it is left of centre, most of politics is now anyway. Sky News was brought up as the Fox News of the UK and I was joking about the characters, i.e. idiots they have on Sky News and Sky Sports for that matter. Female Referees...

Here is the youtube clip for the LOLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8

I think you got the wrong end of the stick and jumped on your soap box a bit too quick.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory' timestamp='1312153722' post='20833543
[quote name='gbduo' timestamp='1311955834' post='20827997']
[quote name='lovegroova' timestamp='1311952358' post='20827794']

[quote name='gbduo' timestamp='1311950741' post='20827703']

News (followed by Ch.4 news for an impartial review)

That's quite funny.

Left-wing BBC News and even more left wing Ch.4 News. For impartiality/balance you need...Sky News!
F1 Fans are completely different to football fans, plus there are 20 races in a F1 season, how many football matches are there in the same space, 100, 150? If you have to pay nigh on £80 a month for phone, TV, Internet and Sky Sports, the VfM is better on football than on F1. Why would you pay nearly £1000 a year to watch the F1 season? You just wouldn't.

Why you would pay £1000 a year to Sky in the first place is the next question.
I get my TV (incl Sky sports), BB and phone from Virgin Media for around £60 a month.

Plenty of peole have switched to Skysports in order to watch a variety of sports. Many for Football (around 80 Premiership Games per season are shown, most people will only watch 20 of those), lots for cricket (we can now watch Ashes matches live from Australia, something that never happened before Sky), US PGA Golf, Super League Rugby, Premiership Rugby, Darts etc etc.

F1 will be a good addition to their portfolio.

Would I pay for Sky Sports just for F1? Probably not.

Will I watch the races on the BBC instead of Sky when there is a choice? Time will tell. Certainly the race coverage will be the same as it's supplied by Formula One - all that will differ is the commentary/pit lane reporting.

Sky will tailor the coverage to the audience - contrast its cricket/rugby union coverage to its football coverage - the difference is marked.

Just be grateful it's not on ITV.
Haha, Ch. 4 news at least goes into some detail on news stories though, it is quite lefty but you can normally filter it out from the facts in Ch.4 news compared to BBC News constant drivel and speculation from 'experts'

Sky News certainly has some characters on it, I love some of the videos on youtube from Sky, I think it was Boulton or something who nearly had a punch up with the Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell in the run up to the General Election last year, I was really hoping for it because that is what Campbell needs, someone to punch the *&nt round the face.

I go and support my local premiership rugby team, London Irish at the Madejski which is close to me and watch the Rugby highlights on ITV4, six nations on BBC. I just can't justify spending the best part of £50-60 a month to just watch the F1.

Internet streaming is the way forward, I believe RTL offer a free stream, you just put Five Live on as the commentary.
[/quote]

[/quote]

For sure, I don't think anyone was denying that BBC News is good, I was just remarking that I also watch Channel 4 news for more in depth discussion of the issues which BBC can't fit in a 30 minute slot. Newsnight is good for this as well. I don't think I ever questioned that it was inaccurate and although I still think it is left of centre, most of politics is now anyway. Sky News was brought up as the Fox News of the UK and I was joking about the characters, i.e. idiots they have on Sky News and Sky Sports for that matter. Female Referees...

Here is the youtube clip for the LOLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8

I think you got the wrong end of the stick and jumped on your soap box a bit too quick.
[/quote]

I think I got on it days slower than anyone quoted above got on theirs.

thanks for the clip; I was actually stood on Westminster Green watching it happen at the time - it was like watching a small pissed aggressive bloke starting a pub fight, and LOLs for that for sure. The trouble is, one of them is the political editor of a substantial News broadcaster, and he's the one on the left who looks like he's trying to find someone to hold his coat. Mind you, he's less aggressive than his mate Kay Burley, who is clearly auditioning for Fox News. Small example here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYalpZhG_8

As for the BBC, it costs each household £70 a year less than a gas-price increase and delivers consistently excellent output compared to any other channel in the UK and and certainly compared to any other producer overseas - the best of which either garnish their output with BBC cream or are forced to up their game by BBC competition or example.

It's also the only news service on earth who had the independence to report during a war in which it's own government was involved: "If the Argentinians are to be believed then X but if the British are to be believed the Y". The fact that it's evisceration was started by a Labour government and is being completed by a Conservative government who's coat is being held by a Lib Dem component of government speaks volumes about any bias that it is alleged to hold.

This whole thread is about F1 moving to Sky - just about everyone has acknowledged the superb job of F1 done by the BBC and few appear to think that Sky will do a better job.

I'd imagine that several who have said so surprised themselves as they typed it.

The BBC isn't perfect, and neither is it's funding model - but as Churchill is alleged yo have said of democracy; its the worst there is - apart from all the others.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory
I think I got on it days slower than anyone quoted above got on theirs.

thanks for the clip; I was actually stood on Westminster Green watching it happen at the time - it was like watching a small pissed aggressive bloke starting a pub fight, and LOLs for that for sure. The trouble is, one of them is the political editor of a substantial News broadcaster, and he's the one on the left who looks like he's trying to find someone to hold his coat. Mind you, he's less aggressive than his mate Kay Burley, who is clearly auditioning for Fox News. Small example here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYalpZhG_8

As for the BBC, it costs each household £70 a year less than a gas-price increase and delivers consistently excellent output compared to any other channel in the UK and and certainly compared to any other producer overseas - the best of which either garnish their output with BBC cream or are forced to up their game by BBC competition or example.

It's also the only news service on earth who had the independence to report during a war in which it's own government was involved: "If the Argentinians are to be believed then X but if the British are to be believed the Y". The fact that it's evisceration was started by a Labour government and is being completed by a Conservative government who's coat is being held by a Lib Dem component of government speaks volumes about any bias that it is alleged to hold.

This whole thread is about F1 moving to Sky - just about everyone has acknowledged the superb job of F1 done by the BBC and few appear to think that Sky will do a better job.

I'd imagine that several who have said so surprised themselves as they typed it.

The BBC isn't perfect, and neither is it's funding model - but as Churchill is alleged yo have said of democracy; its the worst there is - apart from all the others.
Could not agree more

But I do think the BBC need to look at its funding model and try and think of a better one that would maintain the quality news coverage and sports coverage at the moment, whilst cutting the dross and giving the public what they want. Going back to documentaries and interesting TV I think would be a good start.

In general though, I completely support the BBC, I am just miffed that they re-negotiated this F1 deal to save money but came out of it paying more for less. Does not make much financial sense to me and far from a good deal. Ah well. Such is life.

Sky News is a joke, just like the rest of Murdoch's media outlets.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, it is possible to edit your quotes. My mouse wheel is now very tired.

I am just miffed that they re-negotiated this F1 deal to save money but came out of it paying more for less. Does not make much financial sense to me and far from a good deal.
It does seem they were too quick to give into Bernie. If the teams had said F1 had to be on FTA, the BBC had said we can only pay £10m, and ITV, C4 and Five weren't interested, then the BBC would have got the rights for £10m.

Quick Reply: Sky to broadcast F1 from next year