Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Sky to broadcast F1 from next year

Old 07-29-2011, 04:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
Just read an interesting article. The BBC were paying £50m/yr for all live coverage. Now they're paying £33m/yr for half of that coverage and a much reduced audience.

That doesn't seem like a great deal for them to me.

Sounds to me like they were desperate to drop the sport altogther and Bernie hasn't let them.

Good news is that they are considering using the same production teams for both broadcasts. So we could still have the same coverage on Sky, albeit at a cost.
But it's not "half that coverage". It's a halving of the live races, but they can still show extended highlights, and all the radio coverage is still in place.

Much depends on which races they are going to broadcast live. I guess only the non-time friendly races in far eastern climes will be those to replaced with the extended highlights.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
Just read an interesting article. The BBC were paying £50m/yr for all live coverage. Now they're paying £33m/yr for half of that coverage and a much reduced audience.
Much reduced audience? Why? Do you think everybody will go to Sky, or just stop watching?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 AM

With the move to night races there are not so many that start in the early hours of Sunday Morning.

What worries me is that the beeb will cut the quality of the events that they do cover and lose some of the production team.

I may get sky sports in the future but as with many others I watch a lot of the coverage after the event so if the highlights are good then it's not going to make a huge deal of difference. Are we going to see a match of the day style highlights show presented from a studio in Manchester with selected commentary from the radio 5 team.

Is the sky coverage going to be a home for the F1 refugees, commentary from James Allen and Jonathan Legard, pundits Mark Blundell and Simon Taylor and pit lane correspondant Louise whats her tits...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by NineBolts
Is the sky coverage going to be a home for the F1 refugees, commentary from James Allen and Jonathan Legard, pundits Mark Blundell and Simon Taylor and pit lane correspondant Louise whats her tits...
A1GP had some bimbo in the studio, Tony Jardine as a pundit, plus bloody John Watson doing interviews.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by Bassoctopus' timestamp='1311939947' post='20827218
Much reduced audience? Why? Do you think everybody will go to Sky, or just stop watching?
I think a lot of the die-hard F1 fans will. They must account for 50% of the audience.

The casual punter will stay with BBC.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM

Despite that, i'm still not buying Sky Sports
Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Sky has confirmed that it will not run adverts during its broadcast coverage of Formula 1 races next year, and will instead limit them to the pre and post-race show.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 AM

I'm gutted at this decision. BBC coverage is fantastic in my view.

And, how long before Pay Per View starts up for the big races (British GP, Monaco, last race of the season etc). I bet in a few years, that may start to happen.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by simonix
Originally Posted by gbduo' timestamp='1311935589' post='20827127
Maybe we should start paying half of the TV Licence? I am not really sure what I get for my £140 anymore.

A friend of mine asked a similar question when he got caught without a TV licence. He said that he never watched any BBC broadcasts, and only watched Sky (which he paid for), so he didnt feel the need to pay for a licence.

The courts said that the TV licence may pay for the BBC, but you need a licence by law just for the "privilege" of using a TV!!!
I think the BBC should scrap the licence fee and they should become a subscription service, that would force them to seriously stream line, cut down on the number of highly paid presenters and pundits who add nothing, cut the live news broadcasts on location from round the corner which also add nothing, make the TV channels more efficient, currently BBC Three and BBC Four are only used from 1900, why!? Why not have one channel and use it all day rather than have the cost of two!? Invest in high quality programming and get rid of all the reality shit like Strictly/Pop Academy/Fat School and the rest of it. Leave that to the braindead channels like ITV and Sky.

Recently Five has had much better programming than the BBC has had and that is ridiculous.

I only watch the following on BBC:-

F1
Top Gear
Silent Witness
Spooks
Silk
News (followed by Ch.4 news for an impartial review)

Why on earth do I have to pay £140 for the privilege of watching 6 programmes that are worth watching. The rest of the BBC is full of bumpf and crap.

So get rid of the licence fee and make the BBC a subscription channel that you can choose to pay for if you wish. That will see the BBC make some proper cuts quick rather than these silly cuts like F1. They have to go deeper than that. Increase quality programming and they will get more people subscribing.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 AM

The thing is, Sky believe that F1 fans will behave like football fans - initial resistance then acceptance.

I think they are very much mistaken.

Quick Reply: Sky to broadcast F1 from next year