Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Skoda Octavia VRs

Old 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skoda Octavia VRs

I am looking at getting the Mrs something a little bit bigger and drivable than her current crock of shite Corsa.

The Skoda Octavia VRs seems to meet our needs and looks like a good value second hand buy that will also be vaguely enjoyable to drive.

Initial investigations suggest that a 2004 Mk1 example with 30k on could be found for around
Old 12-29-2006, 03:33 PM

Nick

Nice choice I kinda like these.

No particular exp. but as they share the same engines as Audi and VW there was a big thing about Coil packs - Bosch coil packs. I am sure someone will be along to tell you more and correct me.

Rob
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by robs_silver_s2k,Dec 30 2006, 12:33 AM
Nick

Nice choice I kinda like these.

No particular exp. but as they share the same engines as Audi and VW there was a big thing about Coil packs - Bosch coil packs. I am sure someone will be along to tell you more and correct me.

Rob
I've read something about the coil packs.

I am not quite sure what the issue is (or even what a coil pack is) bet definitely an area for further swotting up.

Nick
Old 12-30-2006, 04:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Thing that sits atop a spark plug & makes 12v big enough to jump the gap.

Apparently, they still get a few dodgy ones. Bloody EU suppliers.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:58 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think all 1.8T VAG lumps had this problem early on. Totally guessing but I though from 02 onwards they cracked it? Will be on a forum somewhere no doubt.

I really like these. Shame they didnt to the 4x4 in hot version. One word though - "remap"

Can be looking at 30-40 bhp and torque for about
Old 12-30-2006, 05:47 AM

My mate is on his second one.

The coil pack issue is with all VAG cars but has now been resolved and so should not be an issue. The car is easy and cheap to modify in the form of Xenons and Chipping (which turns it into a real flyer). They have excellent build quality and inside you cannot tell that you are not in a VW.

If i needed an estate it would be top of my list - they are an excellent car.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the advice

The chip sounds interesting, but I think I'd prefer to leave as standard!

However, if I wanted a modded example, this looks interesting...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/items-sale/...vrs-sale/66248/

Will hopefully get the Mrs out on a test drive soon!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 AM

The chap I work with has one and it's very nice.

Decent build quality, plenty of space and a decent bit of power to boot.

Only problem is they don't work too well if you drive them into a deer.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
B B

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Dec 30 2006, 05:58 AM
Another bonus is that people will automatically think you are a rozzer and not carve you up.

MB
Yep a dark colour plod Skoda Octavia roams the south coast A27 area, & because for many, Skodas in any guise are of little interest & barely turn a head this car sweeps up speedsters and the like with alarming frequency.

Being on a very mean budget I VERY nearly purchased an ex demo top of the range Superb, & my goodness it was equipied and drove like a car 3 times the price. Although it was only a 5 speed auto diesel ( 140BHP I think ), the performance was adequate and so smooth. The build quality could not be faulted.
For boring practical reasons I realised I needed a hatchback but the Octavia interior was far too small compared with others in the same class.

All credit to the marketing gurus for making a product less worthy of silly jokes, but
I have to admit that as a fully paid up badge snob I'm not sure I could live with a Skoda on the drive, however many additional red sporty embellishments adorned it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Jan 3 2007, 08:55 PM
I have to admit that as a fully paid up badge snob I'm not sure I could live with a Skoda on the drive, however many additional red sporty embellishments adorned it.
This would nag at me, but only if I knew I could afford a better or more expensive car.

At the money, they are hard to beat, although I still think I'd prefer a Ford because of how they drive.

But since it's not for me, that's irrelevant.

What is relevant is that I've encountered a few triers (not plod fortunately) and the cars do provide very respectable performance.

Forget all this chipping nonsense. You'll feck the warranty and bump up your insurance (invalidate it if you keep quiet, which seems to be a growing trend). the cars are quick enough in std guise.

Quick Reply: Skoda Octavia VRs