Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

S2000 replacement suggestions

Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got back last night and I'm still grinning like a loon, what a fantastic weekend, perfect weather and 400 miles of fantastic roads, car was fantastic, very impressed by it's capability, just off to clean half a tonn of dead flies of the front and get the car ready for Bedford this afternoon.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds good!

What did you think of PetrolHead Nirvana?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by lower
Sounds good!

Are you thinking of going on a tour Rich??
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 AM

Sounds good!

Well organised but not for the faint hearted, they did say The welsh run is the most hardcore as it's a lot to pack into a day and a half, some very fast roads mixed with some that are just about upgraded goat tracks, if you was on your own you would have turned around, but cresting the pass and looking over unspoilt valleys just fantastic, the military roads were a blast, twisty well maintained with clear views for miles, there is a lot more I could say but not here
I would add that good weather plays it's part some of the mountain roads can't be much fun in the rain and fog, in general I loved it and am considering the highlands tour next year.
Bedford was a blast even had Tiff turn up for the briefing and a photo shoot, never been before but it's fun and safe with miles of run off, had it up to 120 on the long straight, not sure if that's good but it felt about right for me
As long weekends go that's got to be one of the best for me

They are doing another one later in the year, it's worth a punt for £49, they were not too fussy about the novice bit as long as you say your a novice that's good enough
15 min safety talk, 3 laps following the instructor then open pit lane for 3 hours.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo
Monaro?

The depreciation on these is eye watering, but cracking family car!

i like this persons thinking!!!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Its the end of an era for me this week.

I sold my S2000 at the weekend, received payment this morning and the car will be gone some time this week.

After 7 years of thoroughly enjoyable ownership I shall have left the S2000 fold and moved on to pastures new with the Z4M that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

The Z4M is a totally different car. Loads more power, more confidence inspiring handling on the road, but heavier and almost too fast for the road. At times it scares me a bit.

The S was fun to drive at much lower speeds because you had to work to keep the engine in VTEC to make decent progress. That made you feel involved and you could do that at much lower speeds. The Z4M is just plain fast under almost all conditions and you don't need to be in the right gear at the right time etc etc. But the characteristics of the VTEC engine gave the S huge character and i shall miss the car a lot.

I shall also continue to be one of the many ex S2000 owners who continue to hang around on here and annoy the newbies
Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Might have a look at the XK jags too, though again they are a bit old for me.
I recently bought a Jaguar XK Coupe (2007) and I would suggest you taking a drive in one or an XKR before you decide they are too old for you. The previous generation I can understand, but the current one is a masterpiece. I was between a Maserati GranSport, 997, or XK and the XK was best of all worlds.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1297767908' post='20254546
Might have a look at the XK jags too, though again they are a bit old for me.
I recently bought a Jaguar XK Coupe (2007) and I would suggest you taking a drive in one or an XKR before you decide they are too old for you. The previous generation I can understand, but the current one is a masterpiece. I was between a Maserati GranSport, 997, or XK and the XK was best of all worlds.

The interior is a masterpiece. A real 'Old Master'.

Not for the under 50's
Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
The interior is a masterpiece. A real 'Old Master'.

Not for the under 50's
I'm only 42, but then again I traded an XJ8 Vanden Plas (XJ350 4.2 V8) in on the XK Coupe. If you looking to attract the ladies, Jag is one of the best out there. I really like how well the car is put together. Double wishbone suspension and well thought out trim & panels. Easy to wash, all the functions are easy to use. Even the muffler looks cool. If you appreciate all the little details in the S2000, I think you’ll really fancy the XK8 in the same way. As if they share some of the same DNA.

I can feel the road and car much more than I could in the XJ8. There's two S2000's in my neighborhood. I sure miss driving that car. My back wished the S2000 good riddance. If the seat was more adjustable, I may’ve kept it after the lease. Seeing what the pay-off was in 2005 and what the S2000 sells for now, I made a big mistake not keeping it. Oh well.

Before you write the XK off as being too old, take one for drive first.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have. I nearly put my money into the new XF too, but quickly realised the error when I saw the interiors a few times more.

Im 43 by the way

And although I'm not in the market for a new lady, I would rather atract the younger ones!

Interesting comments on S2000 values.
They have collapsed here, you would have been the wise man if you had done that sale here. Nobody wants them,

Quick Reply: S2000 replacement suggestions