Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Red light cameras

Old 07-11-2009, 02:58 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mikey, tell me you;ve never done it?!

It's no different to speeding down a country road past junctions. In fact traffic lights are more visible and you can see if anyone is waiting to cross.

Most traffic lights aren't pedestrian crossing, I find.

IMO this is just another step towards gridlock and 30 mph everywhere. It's all nanny state bollocks and shouldn't be encouraged

Again, I am more against the sneaky way it is being done.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn't that just the case?

A lot of journeys that used to take fifteen minutes now take an hour because of traffic light phasing, bust lanes etc.

A lot of this c untry's traffic problems ARE deliberate.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Jul 8 2009, 08:03 PM
There is a view that if you cannot change a situation then change your attitude to that situation, or it's not the problem itself that's the problem it's how you deal with the problem.

We are all restricted and constricted and yes it's driving many mad to the point of sheer frustration, but if that frustration is not tempered or controlled then many more will die on our roads.
We have to learn to cope and adapt, be patient and tolerant. This is a war that cannot be won, and that's not being defeatist, just realistic.

The coping method is one of mental mature attitude, ignore this and you wil finish up with ulcers, heat attacks and probably be involved in a road accident yourself.
I really can't believe that attitude.

There may be some situations where you can "change the situation" - I don't like my job, so I'll look for another one - but in many, many situations just shrugging and getting on with something else is a pathetic shirking of responsibility.

Red light cameras should be installed at all red lights IMO. I'm starting to see motorcyclists ride up to queues of traffic, and completely ignore the red light - particlularly if turning left - with increasing frequency.

I even saw one guy ride up to a red light, hop off the bike, walk it up the kerb sloped for pedestrians round the corner on the pavement then jump back on and ride off.
On Thursday, a motorcyclist almost knocked me over as he rode through a red light to make a left turn. The crossing wasn't on green for me to cross, but funnily enough I thought that the clear road to my left and the red light stopping traffic in the other direction were enough. I was so shocked I didn't react in time and I'm annoyed with myself for not pushing him off his bike.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Jul 11 2009, 09:27 AM
Speeding through traffic lights is down right
You just never know who is going to jump them or what suicidal pedestrian is going to jump the crossing signals.
Also remember we can stop quickly unlike people not paying attention in other road cars

IMHO Retrofiting speeding gear to red light cameras is not a big deal. The red light cameras where put there to improve safety. Adding speeding to it will only improve that.

What I am against is covert speed traps like the North Wales police us
A bit naive Mike.

Inappropriate speed is the issue.

There are lots of times/places where it is OK to break the speed limit. (pity we can't put this thread in the main UK board and await the intellectually challenged to respond)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will cheer you up a bit Mark

Link

Bournemouth Echo

Maybe, just maybe these local authorities are starting to think that fixes speed cameras are not worth it. Cllr Mark Anderson thinks they should start spending the money fixing pot holes

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep I spotted that on PH earlier - great news and I am tempted to send the man a letter!

The only sinister bit is mention of hidden speed traps... I don't like htose much, and they are pretty rare now with all the gatso things.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The trouble is, the volte face on spill your seed cameras shows just what a self-serving and reprehensible bunch of liars they are.

When they were on the payroll, you rarely found a dissenter!

I might propose a scheme where I pay politiciunts
Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Jul 11 2009, 11:58 AM
It's no different to speeding down a country road past junctions. In fact traffic lights are more visible and you can see if anyone is waiting to cross.
I dunno about that Mark. I'm with you in principle, ie, regarding the bast***s doing things like this for all the WRONG reasons etc but traffic lights are a system for telling drivers when they need to go and when they need to stop.

People will pull away from lights on Green without looking to first see if the crossing has a vehicle careering towards it who clearly isnt going to stop.

Out of a normal junction a driver is aware that they need to make sure that its safe before pulling out.

People basically put blind trust into the green light; whether that's sensible/safe etc is another argument but that's the situation.

As I say I'm with you in general; things will become worse as the politicians suck us all dry, the roads become more congested because every family now has 2 cars (Families were lucky to have 1 car when I was young) and the population continues to grow etc; It's all headed for doom and gloom for people who actually enjoy driving.

Rearrange these words :- 'Up Tats'
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Aug 13 2009, 01:29 PM
but traffic lights are a system for telling drivers when they need to go and when they need to stop.
However there are many times traffic lights can be used as a warning sign rather than blindly acting upon them (which I think you allude to a bit later).

Left turns at lights being one, lights at single file roadworks being another example.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Jul 8 2009, 12:21 PM
On my recent world tour of Europe I got thinking about how the French do things and I have to admit that they have the balance right.
My concern with the french method, based on my annual trip to Le Mans, is that their police are allowed to hide up embankments, over crests of hills, behind bushes etc and get you from a mile off before sending the bikes after you.

Though perhaps this only really happens on the Le Mans pilgrimage routes on the relavent dates.

I find fuel useage slows me down more than cameras. I drove from Hertford to Middlesboro' last week and didn't go over 70mph once. It drove me uttely mad, but it meant I did the whole trip (480 miles) in my 320d on less than

Quick Reply: Red light cameras