Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Red light cameras

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my recent world tour of Europe I got thinking about how the French do things and I have to admit that they have the balance right.

Where there are fixed cameras they have a huge sign warning of it around 300 yds before. This ensures that everybody slows down from the time they see the warning sign until they have passed the fixed camera, result being that everyone slows for the 'accident black spot'.

It also means that 'safety' cameras are just that and not revenue making devices.

The c units in this country don't have a clue, they can't see beyond the end of their noses and the large stinking pile of moulard to be raked in.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

Blantant money-making.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j8mie,Jul 8 2009, 10:24 AM
On the one had we have our feckless Government telling us to "be green, recycle and cut down on our car usage". But on the other hand they are more than happy to have us all sit in traffic jams belching out CO2, when most of the time we are only sat in queues due to piss poor traffic management.

The sinic in me thinks the Government would rather we sat in our cars, needlessly using up our petrol, so we can rush out and buy some more to fill the treasuries coffers
As long as you're putting your hand in your pocket frequently, I'm sure they'd by just as happy if you drove everywhere at 90mph. Unfortunatey, that would make the chattering classes upset, so they have to do it all in the name of "road safety" and "The Environment"
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 AM

If your happy to take it lying down BB then by all means do

I'll continue to fight my corner, simply because no one else will otherwise.

Funny how the "French approach" to such a problem seems very simple, and clearly gets results. I don't admire the French for many things, but that is one of them. With the exception of when they block ports and prevent UK lorry drivers from going about their business.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The French approach is actually a lot more mature; they recognise that anyone who's been through the ENA is a philandering embezzler and let them get on with it (with a shrug).

Once the line is crossed and the grosse connes start getting in peoples' faces, the peasants revolt! We should do exactly likewise (by EU regulation).
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by russellhq,Jul 8 2009, 10:35 AM
Sounds sensible to me, surely you don't want people speeding through signal junctions?
Why?
You kind of hope that people can stop for a red light.
If they don't your fooked anyhow.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by MB,Jul 8 2009, 09:17 PM
Sorry BB, but that is the typical British attitude when it comes to things like this and hence we get ****ed over all the time.

The Frogs wouldn't put up with it.

Look at the fuel strike stuff. It did work for a short time. Not sure why it isn't happening again, but the government needs telling.

I do agree though that nowt will happen...

For me, there are too many do-gooding ****s around supporting initiatives like this
Uncle Mark,

I note of late your tendancy to rant and enthuse more.

Is this because you are approching the 'mystical' age of 40, or are you listening to the TOGs' on R2 more?

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm 31 you cheeky bugger

I go through stages of ranting, and a lot of things piss me off with this messed up planet, but generally very calm
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM

There ya go again.....

Get everyone on a track day in disposable cars.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Jul 10 2009, 06:02 PM
Why?
You kind of hope that people can stop for a red light.
If they don't your fooked anyhow.
Speeding through traffic lights is down right
You just never know who is going to jump them or what suicidal pedestrian is going to jump the crossing signals.
Also remember we can stop quickly unlike people not paying attention in other road cars

IMHO Retrofiting speeding gear to red light cameras is not a big deal. The red light cameras where put there to improve safety. Adding speeding to it will only improve that.

What I am against is covert speed traps like the North Wales police us

Quick Reply: Red light cameras