The potential supercharged F20C recipient

Old 05-14-2022, 08:14 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Great pics
Old 05-15-2022, 11:22 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks rather too uncomfortable for me! A lot of fun, though, and hopefuly worth all the hours of work.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:42 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Honestly the jumps were comfy af. The last one was a bit rough, couldn't get enough speed to clear the second jump and hit the front of the skidpans but still fine, maybe if there was enough grip to carry another 10mph up to them but it was a 90* downhill right just before the jumps so not much space to build any speed.

The worst of it is when they send you over rocks and streambeds, then it's all chatter stuff where the car doesn't stop kicking. New seats are going in atm though, should make it a lot better.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:34 AM

We're cranking the boost up slightly on the engine shortly - just machining the pulley atm, as it fell a bit short of the original targets but we didn't mind it was quick enough, anyone got some good recommendations for a mapper to just do some quick checks?
Seems to be a little too rich from the previous mapper, fouls plugs a bit.
Got some little flat spots sometimes on a lift and reapply too which I think is also a rich misfire - and I'd like to drop VTEC to 3500 instead of 4500.
Not really able to fine tune stuff like that out without a flat road for consistancy or a dyno!
Old 09-16-2022, 08:34 AM

Okay, so no great pictures this time, just a few quick snaps from setting the car up last night - as I've been away resting after my eye op and basically just chilling with some good food and company in Germany. Eddy however cracked on and built up the new front arms.
We've gone with another mod at the same time as well - as you probably noticed in the vids it's been suffering severe understeer when it was in low grip terrain - some of that was the front beam bushes were too tight - they'd swollen slightly from the grease and were stopping the front end moving properly for low speed chassis movements, so there's new bushes to match the new chrome plated pivots, machined a little looser this time to account for that.
It's something we've had before but normally you just let them settle and then ream them out.

That's improved things a lot and you can now throw the car in when it would just skate onwards before, even with a flick or cranking the brakes to the back it was too stiff to respond - the next thing was a bit too much midcorner understeer. I knew what this was before we even really took it anywhere - the front arb I went for was intended to set the car up for not having a rear LSD and therefore compromising a bit of the front end to keep the rear inside wheel loaded.
With an LSD in there, that's not as much of a concern, so we've turned the front bar down in the lathe so it's only about half the stiffness it was previously - that's still enough to give a little mid corner understeer, but it pays it back slightly with a little more traction and if you land on one front wheel after a big jump it helps transfer some of the impact across both springs and dampers.

Okay, the next one. Absolutely terrible turning circle - even using the fiddle brakes, again, you probably saw that on the hairpins on the videos.
The ackerman angle on the steering on this car has always been a bit off - it had about 130% ackerman, far too much, especially with toe out on the static settings, unfortunately with the changes to the front arms, rotating them around some when we took the big change in castor out of the front end, and various other things including taking some of the slack out of uprights, etc - it made it even worse than that at around 160-170%, and also meant the effects were felt more without so much slack in the system.
Anything that was very low speed, tight turns was either hold the brake and force it around spinning the rears hard, or just sit waiting for it to turn.
So that's been corrected a little with quick and dirty tweaking on the upright mounts - it's not quite as low as where I'd like it yet but it's around 100% now:

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-u2uonil.jpg

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-vgxaz1j.jpg

The front end is still not as good as it used to be, but it's a huge chunk better - however there's a flutter stack in the rear shocks that's having an effect too which I want to remove for a more conventional stack when I get the tools to open these ones more easily than messing around with clips and hammers, then after that we'll mess with the geo for more tuning.
I did run a flutter stack in the old setup but it was one that was mainly to affect low speed bleed, this is a weird one built around landings in the desert, etc, for the little Polaris UTV they originally came off and are just stealing our midspeed damping and softening the knee from low to high speed far too much.
Speaking of the rear dampers, they now sport the piggyback canisters they should have originally had, and package much better for it:

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-yewns6v.jpg

So basically we've solved about 2/3rds of the issues we're having with the front, there's some more work to go on yet but hopefully it's picked up a chunk of time already.
We're off to Tiverton this weekend to do another race/test session, see how it goes!

We've also got a new pulley for the supercharger to bring it up to our original target boost level - but I want to find someone to check over the map first and work out some flat spots we have (they're right where it drops into on a gearchange so it's a bit of a bitch atm)
The following 2 users liked this post by BuggyofMildDiscomfort:
chrispayze (09-16-2022), Nottm_S2 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 04:19 AM

Well bar a bit of a mishap on frosty/icy grass in the morning - basically tried to cross a field and was a passenger to the bottom (pity we didn't have the plate diff in any more as it would have been worth it there, and probably a good 10s a lap after that tbfh too) - it went pretty well today, front end is much better, probably gone from about 1/3rd of the confidence and grip it had before to 75%. It's not quite there and there's some other jobs but it finally feels like you can learn to drive it and it's responding to different driving styles now.
We were putting in a lot of top 10 times after the mishap which was good too.

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-tz5ektj.jpg

Really need to get the flat spot and vtec crossover moved though, it was a bitch in some of the open bits, just looks like you forgot to accelerate for a second or two.
Might rewire it so I can have seperate maps on vtec compared to off more like the stock PCM.
The following users liked this post:
Nottm_S2 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:43 AM

Times are out, ended up 15th overall, probably would have been 9th I think without the problem with the frosty sideslope - had enough pace for 8th I think if we'd pushed more out of the gate, still, encouraging already, especially on that course, we've picked up about 20-25 seconds I think with the front end work.

Wasn't a bad venue though, although I don't think it'd be any good for a 2wd if it was wet, it was bad enough with frost - the tracks were only 6ft wide at some spots which is a bit of an issue for trying to find a line when your car is 6ft6...

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-zee0obz.jpg

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-eoshq9p.jpg

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-lxovonj.jpg

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-ir7yg6z.jpg

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-kbiokd7.jpg

And a nervous new co-driver:

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-zoe7wor.jpg

The following 3 users liked this post by BuggyofMildDiscomfort:
chrispayze (09-20-2022), noodels (09-20-2022), Nottm_S2 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

nice to see some more progress on this buggy love the engineering going in to it
Old 09-20-2022, 02:30 AM

Yea it was a little quiet for a while, I was in for another bout of eye surgery and recovery, Eddy did take it to a little event to do some testing to check if we'd sorted the oil breathing problem (way better now it breaths out about 100-150ml per stage instead of a litre) while I was in surgery - unfortunately he also cracked a front arm there but that was the driver to get the front end sorted so not all bad:

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-vfwuiaw.jpg

No idea how:

The potential supercharged F20C recipient-2sx8bua.jpg
martin j (09-20-2022), Mike's (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 03:40 AM

Little clip through the yard at the finish, shows how much better it's turning now.
nomadicS2k (09-22-2022), Nottm_S2 (09-20-2022)

Quick Reply: The potential supercharged F20C recipient