Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Polo GTI

Old 08-08-2006 | 07:02 AM

Thanks, CC

Personally I think it looks kinda nice for a small car - better than a Fiesta, Pug 207, Clio, Cityrover ( ) etc. anyway
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by alex.stanley,Aug 8 2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks, CC

Personally I think it looks kinda nice for a small car - better than a Fiesta, Pug 207, Clio, Cityrover ( ) etc. anyway
Heart on the line, I'd have one for that sector, no worries.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:09 AM

Personally I would spend a bit more and get a slightly used or new euro import Golf GTI. The chassis on that Polo is going to disappoint, just like every single car based on the MK4 chassis did once you found the limits. There's just this inert, dead feel to it when you're trying to drive at anything over 7/10s. And there's very little adjustability at the rear, not good on a supposed hot hatch. When it does let the back out, it will be at the point where you can't catch it or the dead steering won't let you know how much lock to give back. Lift-off can never really be used as a cornering aid with these cars.

Granted, my opinion is based on the most powerful TDI version of the Polio. However, the evo test someone mentioned echoed these sentiments when they tested GTI against GTI.

As for the motor, forget chippability and all that, its still a boring, droney thing.

You can easily get better for that sort of cash, the VW will only ever win on refinement and perceived quality.
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:14 AM

Golf GTI, put on too hot a wash.

Turd
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jefferson D'arcy,Aug 8 2006, 03:09 PM
Personally I would spend a bit more and get a slightly used or new euro import Golf GTI. The chassis on that Polo is going to disappoint, just like every single car based on the MK4 chassis did once you found the limits. There's just this inert, dead feel to it when you're trying to drive at anything over 7/10s. And there's very little adjustability at the rear, not good on a supposed hot hatch. When it does let the back out, it will be at the point where you can't catch it or the dead steering won't let you know how much lock to give back. Lift-off can never really be used as a cornering aid with these cars.

Granted, my opinion is based on the most powerful TDI version of the Polio. However, the evo test someone mentioned echoed these sentiments when they tested GTI against GTI.

As for the motor, forget chippability and all that, its still a boring, droney thing.

You can easily get better for that sort of cash, the VW will only ever win on refinement and perceived quality.
So if I wanted a relatively refined and quality-feel small car, then this would be it then? (I also like the way it looks, which counts for a lot too)

To be fair I'm not going to be taking it on the WRC in the distant future - so if it's got a relatively decent turn of speed when overtaking then that's fine by me. Not worried about the back letting go or anything like that because it would never be driven that close to the limit - the S2000's the car for the fun drives

Things like torque steer, however, do concern me so I'll definitely check that out.

Also for what it's worth, I was never disappointed with our previous VAG cars (all based on the MKIV chassis, funnily enough)
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MunkeyBoy,Aug 8 2006, 03:14 PM
Turd
That's twice you've mentioned that word now, Munkey
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by alex.stanley,Aug 8 2006, 02:26 PM
From what I've heard though I shouldn't really trust things that Evo say...

Why did it fall short?
Not remotely as composed on the B roads IIRC
Old 08-08-2006 | 07:50 AM
20 Year Member

i don't like it.. but it's all down to tastes.
it looks a bit girly to me. prefer the golf.

however if you want a turd buy the citroen

i'd have the old clio in that size car but all superminis have an air of pink (he says driving a roadster )
Old 08-08-2006 | 09:24 AM

I'm with Jefferson on this one.

As for the Golf-GTi wannabe appearance...

Does anyone think Bosch dishwashers are as good as they used to be?

We've had one decades and it's bound to break down eventually. I'm worried that new ones might no longer be any good.
Old 08-08-2006 | 12:00 PM
Ryn

I like it

It's an option for me to replace my Lupo Gti

Which incidentally has been an excellent small car with no breakdowns in the last 3+ years

It's better than a French car anyway.

Quick Reply: Polo GTI