Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Picked up the S3 :)

Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up the S3 :)

Yeah so I just picked up my split new Audi S3 and I'm very happy, it is really very quick indeed and the new S-Tronic gearbox is abolutely fantastic for an Auto and pretty awesome for a gearbox. It selected the gear I wanted very quickly after I chose it and feels confident when you use the flappy paddles so there's nothing to be sad about there (at least until it breaks!)

I was expecting the steering to be totally numb but it's not as bad as has been reported, it's not as good as the FD2 but it's better than the S2k in terms of feedback through the steering wheel. The car is not as involving as the S2k, that much is definite but the quality of damping is good and the chassis is stiff enough.
The brakes are good, not too solenoidy as is normal with VAG cars so you can use the brakes progressively and not so much with the ON OFF feeling these german wagons tend to give you.
You do notice the weight though, while it holds on through the corners the car does seem to lurch towards the opposite direction a little.
Sound system is decent, although I had expected that by now they had figured out a way of controlling the ipod properly from the stereo, they haven't and that's annoying.

All in all it's the perfect bedfellow for the S2k and hopefully I'll be happy with those for a few years!

The sad story is that I picked up a facking nail on one of my tyres and it's pretty close to the non repairable bit I'll see if I can get a bit of help from the dealer but it's hardly their fault .
Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM

happy driving
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Glad you're pleased with it, any pics?

I understand your frustration with the tyre. Kathryn had only had her CTR for a week when the tyre was scrapped due to a nail in the side wall. Throwing a brand new tyre in the bin and shelling out
Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Must be the new car jinks, I had my Cayman less than a week and found a nail in the tire, That will be
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM

Old 03-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was quite a short wait for the car Danny

we need pics!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Blurter,Mar 2 2009, 08:35 AM
Whats the weight of the S3 BTW?
Just over 1.5 tonnes with the DSG and no options.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM

One thing to add:

Apparently, VAG is developing a MKII DSG, with twin dry-plate clutches.

It remains to be seen, but crucially it saves weight over the current wet-plate arrangement, and even more crucially, negates the requirement for regular changes of that hideously expensive transmission fluid.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Mark I ordered the car in November!
Nick is spot on, it's just over the 1.5 tonnes it's massively heavy and dripping with FREDs Nick you would just hate this car

Pics OTW, I need to wait till I'm on a decent connection and not just my phone.

Tried to change the tyre to the spare this morning and couldn't because the jack they give you doesn't fit under the bodywork. So I've asked Audi to provide me with a different Jack or a puncture repair type solution. I then tried tyre weld which just exploded in my face!
If I had been at home I have a nice jack that would have done the job nicely.
So I made sure the nail was as well in as it could be and inflated the tyre to about 40psi which is just below the right tyre pressure and took the car to the dealer this morning in the hope that they would repair it FOC just because it was seriously bad luck. They didn't even need prompting and they decided that they would replace it at their cost and they would sort my tyre out another way!

So, tyre sorted, happy with dealer for a change all's well that ends well. Car is still great and makes a nice noise, particularly when changing gear.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Decent result from the dealer! It can make all the difference to the ownership thing. Could explain why sales have been rocketing.

Quick Reply: Picked up the S3 :)