Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Perks of the "Mugen" Job!

Old 07-11-2012 | 08:08 AM

An e-beer for the first person who tries to describe pingu's language in text form.....

I think the Mugen Civic looks phat, and if someone has the cash and loves it that much then good for them.

It's no more ridiculously priced than the 1987 Sierra Cosworths that change hands at 20k or more. It ain't the cutting edge engineering that you're paying for, and it damn sure ain't the reliability.

Some cars just transcend the economy of their purchase or their part makeup. Not saying that this civic is definitely one, but it's still a special car.
Old 07-11-2012 | 09:48 AM
UK Trader

I liked it, its just the 46k price tag ( £39k +8k engine work) that makes it silly IMO.

Its a different beast then the normal FN2 Civic Type R's - it stops when needed (thanks too the £5k brakes!) and grips so much better for a start with the help of the mugen suspension and LSD. The interior is standard bar the assit meters.

The engine was heavily reworked for track use in this one, it pulls very well in any gear (but my S2000 is still faster) but fuel use suffers dramatically - I was averaging about 23mpg! My S is better than that!

The LSD is very aggressive, lots of commitment in a corner will see massive rewards even with the Bridgestones the car was fitted with, last year I drove it with some AD08's but it was wet and never really got to push like over the last few days. The car was dropped off at Southampton Honda today, took some photos which I will post up soon.
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:20 AM
UK Moderator

This thread makes me laugh......

Chris.
Old 07-11-2012 | 10:10 PM
20 Year Member

You have/had the import one didn't you chris? similar money i believe.

it's crazy expensive to me and the start is a nice looking but ultimately pretty flawed car so it needs £20k spending to make it right. the stock type r should have been like this imho
Old 07-12-2012 | 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
An e-beer for the first person who tries to describe pingu's language in text form.....
My 2yr old son calls him 'Nak Nak', because thats the sound he makes
Old 07-12-2012 | 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Si@Hendy Performance
I liked it, its just the 46k price tag ( £39k +8k engine work) that makes it silly IMO.

Its a different beast then the normal FN2 Civic Type R's - it stops when needed (thanks too the £5k brakes!) and grips so much better for a start with the help of the mugen suspension and LSD. The interior is standard bar the assit meters.

The engine was heavily reworked for track use in this one, it pulls very well in any gear (but my S2000 is still faster) but fuel use suffers dramatically - I was averaging about 23mpg! My S is better than that!

The LSD is very aggressive, lots of commitment in a corner will see massive rewards even with the Bridgestones the car was fitted with, last year I drove it with some AD08's but it was wet and never really got to push like over the last few days. The car was dropped off at Southampton Honda today, took some photos which I will post up soon.
Is it quicker on a cicuit than a £25k megane RS then?
Old 07-12-2012 | 11:43 PM
UK Trader

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Is it quicker on a cicuit than a £25k megane RS then?
I don't know, its about 260bhp if that's any help!

I'm sure a magazine has lapped it a few times as the gearbox feels like its been hammered!

Took some better pics with my Nex 5 (wife took some of these before you lot go picking holes!) - no more pink cars!

Old 07-13-2012 | 01:18 AM

Saw these being built at Mugen a year or so ago. I actually can see where the money goes in terms of development of the parts to the fact every engine is stripped and rebuilt.

As for Pingu;

Sib-a-sib-a-sib NOOP noop NOOOOP!

Bob head up and down at the same time. Done.
Old 07-13-2012 | 04:45 AM

I think Pingu speaks a welsh dialect (or is that becuae its always on S4C?)

Like that Civic, that will turn some heads. Work of art.

Stupid price though, unrealistic in todays market.
Old 07-13-2012 | 11:08 AM

That's better no pink(gu) now

Quick Reply: Perks of the "Mugen" Job!