Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Parent and Child spaces

Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts

A lot of money has been invested turning shopping from chore to leisure activity.

Tesco do my leisure for about £3 a week
Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethB
(1) Is that why you think they're there? Seriously?
(2) You've answered your own question there
(3) If there's 500 std spaces and 5 disabled bays, why would you park in a disable bay if you're not disabled? Lazy? We've not even gone into the fact they're wider spaces for wheelchair access etc.
(4) This one:

[quote name=Highway code]

You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.
Laws CSDPA sect 21 & RTRA sects 5 & 8
https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parki...ing-239-to-247
[/quote]
1.They are there to encourage and enable the disabled to shop.
2.If no disabled wanted to visit Ikea the spaces would remain empty, as many were during my visit.
3.Believe me, there are more than 5 disabled spaces. I am not advocating parking in them when normal spaces are free, but when there are no free spaces and several disabled are free I see no problem.
4.Does that apply to a PRIVATE car park? I think not. It applies to disabled spaces on the highway.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Gad, more aimed at UF who was a little more aggressive on the kids front but hey ho.

People who value their cars should park out the way of the madding hordes, that's what I do mostly, only have 1 nipper and he can walk
Yes i make no secret of the fact i don't much care for other peoples ( strangers ) offspring, the only people to whom they are remotely dear is generally their parents and even that's not a constant state. I don't hate children but equally, i have no desire to have any of my own. I'm not that much keener on the offspring of direct family and friends.

Just as those people who drive Volvo estates or Brat carriers have no idea why I would be in an open topped car in December with the roof down, i have no idea ( and no wish to find out / be educated otherwise ) why they would put themselves through the torment of raising a brood. I don't stop every one of those drivers and try to explain why they need to drive MY car - I find it boring when people try to explain to me why i made the wrong decision about not having kids. I'm happy it seems to work for others, I'm also very sure that it will never work for me. Should there be discussion then i'll voice an opinion but that's all it is.

Perhaps if there were some more shining examples of parents with pleasant kids doing the rounds I'd feel less negative about it - don't get me wrong, whilst i don't like kids, it's bad parents I have the real problem with - generally your brood is a direct reflection of you.

I still think parent and child spaces and the use / abuse / misuse of them is a first world problem and I am of the firm belief that online shopping is the saviour of the busy parent - i am genuinely amazed that any parent takes their kids to a supermarket when that service exists. Save the time ( and hassle ) have the shopping delivered, use the time saved to go spend it in the park burning off their energy.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
People who value their cars should park out the way of the madding hordes, that's what I do mostly, only have 1 nipper and he can walk
On the rare occasion I need to pop into the supermarket in the NSX I park as far from the shop as possible, even then choosing an end space, as Gad suggests. The car park is huge, and the far reaches are almost always deserted. However, I am astounded how frequently I do this, leaving the car in an ocean of space, to come back and find another car parked next to mine....with an ocean of space around the two cars

I would never park in a C&P space out of fear of what might happen whilst a I'm away, and never, ever in a disabled space out of respect for those less fortunate than myself. I count myself lucky that a 200 yard walk really isn't a big deal.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I moved 20 miles to get away from a bunch of selfish parents who could see nothing wrong with allowing there spore to scream and shout outside other peoples homes and trespass into other residents gardens, so they didn't have to exercise any kind of parental responsibility or discipline.

I now have new neighbours who are not only excellent parents but have proven to be quite and considerate they probably have the same IQ and mental capacity of the former neighbours, there are around fifty of them, and they are sheep.

This isn't about parking spaces and their misuse it's about the de-evolution of sections of the (used loosely) human race.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester
I'm still genuinely amazed at the number of people who apparently WANT to go shopping!
you've come out with some strange stuff on this thread... are you suggesting you've never had to pop in a shop to get anything?

I didn't WANT to be there, I needed to. Had I been able to just nip in without the family in tow, then I would have as that is much more convenient, the reality is, that's not always possible.

So when I NEED to do these things, is it too much to ask that other people play by the rules and don't act like c*cks.

Your anti-kid outlook puts you vastly in the minority and to be honest I find your attitude pretty surprising and actually quite rude towards the vast amount of parents out there.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it helps balance things out, I have no inclination or need to breed and I absolutely will not. The screaming brats make me want to punch walls.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM

Actually, it only puts me in the minority amongst parents - this doesn't worry or concern me. I generally don't 'pop' to a supermarket for anything, i walk around the corner to the local Tesco express and make do - or i plan my shopping better next time. If i do have to 'pop' in - i generally park as far away from the shop and all the breeders cars as humanly possible because, in my experience, they are more concerned with their brood than taking care of not denting everyone elses cars when they jam the doors open. Your apparent inability to park straight merely strengthens that view.

With regard to my attitude or outlook to children - it's a point of view, no more and no less.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my shopping habits are neither here not there, but as it seems to be relevant to you, we do 90% of our shopping on the local high street, half a mile away (yes we walk), that includes a small tesco and the local butcher and green grocer etc. None of which sell fuel or some of our other essentials, so from time to time, yes we use a supermarket.

Why has my parking at approx 5 degrees off parallel offended you? it affected nobody else whatsoever? why does this matter to anyone?

As a parent (should I apologies to you?), I am as mindful and respectful of others property as anyone and expect the same in return. In this instance (let's go back to the start), it was seemingly NOT a parent (no child seats) that parked like a c*ck and damaged my car. Yet because I used a service designed to make my shop a little easier, I somehow 'had it coming to me'.

Right from the start, you implied that I was in the wrong for;

a. going to the shop
b. taking my children
c. parking at slight angle in a HUGE bay affecting nobody else

very odd.

what if the CRV was actually my old S and it was in a normal parking bay at the edge of the car park and the focus parked like that so I couldn't get in, no baby seat, no P&C space, he just boxed me in? I assume then he would be in the wrong?

it seems your view on it has been influenced by the fact that I am a 'breeder' as you eloquently put it.

that's all from me anyway. have a nice day.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081
Have a nice day.
Thanks - highly probable - I'm not going shopping and I don't have kids.

Quick Reply: Parent and Child spaces