Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Parent and Child spaces

Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
I tend to agree that P&C spaces are bending over backwards to favour a minority.
Parents are a minority?

I would have thought childless adults were the minority

in society

Chris.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
I don't understand why some scum insist on parking in disabled bays when they have no badge etc. They should enforce the rules more because its out of order.
Last week I had the misfortune to be at Ikea in MK. The car park was heaving, no spaces available.....except disabled spaces, about 6 or so empty.
After driving around looking for a normal space, I parked in a disabled space, still leaving several empty ones.
Did the shopping, came out to the car,still surrounded by empty disabled spaces, and drove off.
How does using an empty and obviously not needed disabled space make me scum?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethB
Originally Posted by AquilaEagle' timestamp='1392829337' post='23023319
I like the idea of an Adult Supermarket.

There's one on the A1 isn't there?
There's one just north of sandy and one further up towards Peterborough.

So I'm told!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
Originally Posted by markforrester99' timestamp='1392909590' post='23024946

I don't understand why some scum insist on parking in disabled bays when they have no badge etc. They should enforce the rules more because its out of order.
Last week I had the misfortune to be at Ikea in MK. The car park was heaving, no spaces available.....except disabled spaces, about 6 or so empty.
After driving around looking for a normal space, I parked in a disabled space, still leaving several empty ones.
Did the shopping, came out to the car,still surrounded by empty disabled spaces, and drove off.
seriously are you having a laugh? If you had a disabled member of your family then you would appreciate how difficult it is to move them from A to B and having a space close to the front of the store is the difference between taking them out for shopping or leaving them at home because its too much agro trying to bump there wheel chair up the endless curbs. If 5 disabled families just happened to turn up and park next to you and then another family arrive they would of been stuffed trying to park up.

They put the bays there for a reason, ie to encourage disabled people to come shopping and you stick your car there even thou you clearly know that your not supposed too? I don't think many people will jump to defend you for doing this, its selfish and inconsiderate.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Originally Posted by Heinz '57' timestamp='1393053923' post='23028127
[quote name='markforrester99' timestamp='1392909590' post='23024946']

seriously are you having a laugh? If you had a disabled member of your family then you would appreciate how difficult it is to move them from A to B and having a space close to the front of the store is the difference between taking them out for shopping or leaving them at home because its too much agro trying to bump there wheel chair up the endless curbs. If 5 disabled families just happened to turn up and park next to you and then another family arrive they would of been stuffed trying to park up.

They put the bays there for a reason, ie to encourage disabled people to come shopping and you stick your car there even thou you clearly know that your not supposed too? I don't think many people will jump to defend you for doing this, its selfish and inconsiderate.
[/quote]
Why,and how, is disabled business more important than my business? Why is it necessary to keep spaces free just in case there is a sudden rush of disabled people wishing to descend on Ikea?
Why should others drive round wasting fuel and polluting the atmosphere if there are empty spaces?
What law prohibits me parking in a disabled space in a private car park?
How does doing so make me scum?

Forgot to mention, my ex is disabled,has a blue badge and agrees with me.
Is she scum?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57
Originally Posted by markforrester99' timestamp='1393061543' post='23028184
[quote name='Heinz '57' timestamp='1393053923' post='23028127']

[/quote]
Why,and how, is disabled business more important than my business? Why is it necessary to keep spaces free just in case there is a sudden rush of disabled people wishing to descend on Ikea?
Why should others drive round wasting fuel and polluting the atmosphere if there are empty spaces?

Is she scum?
[/quote]
This is exactly what I mean by intolerance and selfishness.

I agree that there are probably too many disabled spaces. But that does not give you the right to park in them.

On this occasion I'm sure that you parking in a disabled space didn't cause anyone any problems. But if every one started acting like you did then there would be no disabled spaces available for genuinely disabled people, ever.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by Heinz '57' timestamp='1393064430' post='23028209
[quote name='markforrester99' timestamp='1393061543' post='23028184']
[quote name='Heinz '57' timestamp='1393053923' post='23028127']

[/quote]

Is she scum?
[/quote]
This is exactly what I mean by intolerance and selfishness.

I agree that there are probably too many disabled spaces. But that does not give you the right to park in them.

On this occasion I'm sure that you parking in a disabled space didn't cause anyone any problems. But if every one started acting like you did then there would be no disabled spaces available for genuinely disabled people, ever.
[/quote]

In your opinion it may be intolerant and selfish but it is very far from making me scum.

I agree that there are probably too many disabled spaces.
On this occasion I'm sure that you parking in a disabled space didn't cause anyone any problems.

Exactly my point.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisr111
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1392840896' post='23023683
I tend to agree that P&C spaces are bending over backwards to favour a minority.
Parents are a minority?

I would have thought childless adults were the minority

in society

Chris.
I think the bending over backwards is to the equivalent of people who won't tie their own shoelaces (won't mind, not can't)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GarethB
Originally Posted by AquilaEagle' timestamp='1392829337' post='23023319
I like the idea of an Adult Supermarket.

There's one on the A1 isn't there?
Ratty's right: two; one in each direction, a few miles from one another.

Shirley just a front for knocking shops?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts

Some anti kid sentiment on here, pretty sad imo

The focus driver was a cunt. If you have a toddler who can walk but cant understand the danger of a car then a space close to the entrance is useful. More than 1 toddler, very useful. Etc.

At the end of the day the supermarket owns the car park, if you don't like it do one

Personally i'd have got a bit steamed up over that. Some people deserve a punch on the nose

Quick Reply: Parent and Child spaces