Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Parent and Child spaces

Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I choose to go to the supermarket over having stuff delivered. I like cooking and I quite enjoy food shopping.

Whenever I try and do a shop on line we always end up forgetting stuff.

I sometimes take my 3 year old as well. He quite enjoys it. The parent and child spaces are great because the doors of my z4m are quite long.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parent child spaces are great. Really handy. I have the utmost disdain for people who abuse them. Just like people who abuse spaces for the disabled.

I regularly take our 'brats' to the supermarket. My eldest loves it, the youngest is too young to have a say and it gives the Mrs a chance to either do some housework or put her feet up and get some deserved P&Q while I'm out doing the shopping. I've tried online shopping and can't really get on with it. I can see why many prefer it, but I prefer to choose what I want when it's in front of me. It's also a good opportunity to fill the car up cheaply too (pay at pump of course ).

Supermarkets love parents. Look at how big the kiddie sections are and the plethora of worthless little 'equipment for schools' vouchers they love to foist upon you along with your handful of crappy 'money off' vouchers and 9 receipts. Parents are an easy target for high-margin products. They also buy in haste when the brats are screaming, spending more money on crap they don't need or won't use. It's cradle-to-grave selling and so no surprise that they'll do what they can to make parents feel welcome.

I couldn't care less about the amount of extra space (or care for the car this affords), although it is handy. I don't really care much for my mundane Dad-wagon now. The kids will ruin the inside in time more than any CRV driver is likely to ruin the outside.

I also like the fact that the spaces are near the door. It's safer when you're unloading said brattage. Particularly given that out of the 4 times someone has chosen to drive into me, 3 times it has happened in a supermarket car park when the culprit was either parking badly or distracted looking for spaces and not ahead.

So yeah, I love Parent Child spaces. If you don't, then have kids and join us in the brat-bays, or f@#k off. It isn't exactly a show-stopper when there are none available, and yeah emergencies do happen. But there are few things more annoying than when you see some lazy cnut using one when they don't have kids in tow, and you need one.

Same goes for disabled spaces. That really gets my goat. I was in a restaurant only the other day (not with the kids I should add) and - as I was leaving - saw some inflated-chav and his she-brute bold as brass park their 5-series in a disabled spot and brazenly stroll on in. My other half can never resist and pointed out to them - politely - that it was a disabled space. The she-brute just grunted, and the chav said 'the badge is on the dashboard, go and check if you like' quite confrontationally, which I didn't like. So I said, 'OK mate' and walked over. No badge. So I just stared at the f@#ker and shook my head. He hadn't the balls to extend the conversation further and skulked inside looking sheepish. I could see him looking out of the window at his car worriedly as we left. Hilarious.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1393341220' post='23033151
Looking again at the original pic, if the OP had parked centrally and parallel in his parking space there would not have been enough room left to tempt the interloper to park his car and be able to open his door. One for next time maybe, 'defensive parking'? Just a thought - admitting this is hindsight!

I thought the same. TBH, its a dilemma us car lovers face every day....

Do I leave loads of space so no one can possibly hit me OR will I encourage someone to squeeze into the gap I have left, thus do I leave lesser of a gap to avoid the squeezers....

infact it requires a manformula...

Gap left = proximity to other vehicle (existing) vs potential for squeezer risk

I'm sure we can modify and improve this between us all.

Heres the shortform codes for you coders out there...

GL = Gap left (resultant gap)
Pv = Proximity to other vehicle (existing)
Sr = Squeezer risk (post you parking)

GL = Pv vs Sr
Get the IP rights to that registered quick. Could be the next killer iPhone app. Parking Place Chooser. Which spots all the end of rank, prioritizes them e.g. next to a passenger door is slightly less likely to give you a ding, etc.

Ker-ching
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love parent and child parking spaces. They are closer to the door than disabled spaces (because parents need to walk less distance than someone with a physical disability) and allow me to park the S in a much bigger space to avoid the risk of parking dents
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Looking again at the original pic, if the OP had parked centrally and parallel in his parking space there would not have been enough room left to tempt the interloper to park his car and be able to open his door. One for next time maybe, 'defensive parking'? Just a thought - admitting this is hindsight!

Sheep following sheep,

Why these people think they have to have a special place beggars believe, I brought up 3 children there were no "special" parking space's but we still managed and never once found it necessary to slam the door into someone's car, It seems to be a case of the new generation of I want's
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sheep point you make Dave is bob on. I will sometimes park my beater in the extreme corners of a car park, spaces all around me, you guessed it, some twat in a transit van will park by me
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1393341220' post='23033151

Sheep following sheep,

Why these people think they have to have a special place beggars believe, I brought up 3 children there were no "special" parking space's but we still managed and never once found it necessary to slam the door into someone's car, It seems to be a case of the new generation of I want's
So you don't use things designed to make your life easier? yet you have a car (I assume), why don't you walk everywhere?

I don't have to have a special place to park, but if it's there for me, why not use it? It makes my life easier...

I really cannot get my head around why it's such an issue to use a P&C space or for them to be provided. If they were available when you brought up your children, I'd be willing to wager that you would use them. Why wouldn't you?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave' timestamp='1393402893' post='23034707
[quote name='arsie' timestamp='1393341220' post='23033151']

Sheep following sheep,

I don't have to have a special place to park, but if it's there for me, why not use it? It makes my life easier...

[/quote]

Is your car the Honda
Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 AM

yes
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might use them if I had kids but I possibly wouldn't post about it on a public forum in the future :-P

Quick Reply: Parent and Child spaces