Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Overtaking - a lost art?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Welshman,Aug 19 2008, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a good argument for getting a bike!
It's a 20 mile drive from Aylesbury to MK, which at 40mph takes 30 mins, at 60mph it takes 20 mins. A 10 min difference. Add the additional time taken to put on and take off helmet, leathers, gloves and boots, and the difference is minimal I'd have thought (this assumes you stick to the 60 limit )
Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
B B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You omit deeper consideration of the mind set of those happy to sit in queues.
It makes for unhappy reading.
Vindictiveness.
Envy.
Bitterness.

Vindictiveness.
Intentionally being bloody minded to make life for somebody else as unhappy and frustrating as possible. Oh the subsequent sense of pure joy seeing aother driver obviously frustrated & inconvenineced. Result.

Envy.
Why the hell should I allow that rich smug bastard in his big expensive saloon or that flash-harry in his sports car get by, when all I have is a poxy slow cheap old banger, or because my brain descended to my lower regions years ago & I have bred like a rabbit and am thus lumbered with a VanWithWindows, a dumpy plain misses & screaming brats and no money. And now I can hardly afford to go anywhere what with the cost of fuel.

Bitterness.
A combination of both, with an overlay that deep down I know I'm a loser & it's everybody elses fault. I have to vent my anger somehow.

The danger is that those drivers suffering from the above mental imbalances & shortcomings are very likely to endanger themselves and their passengers in order to vent their anger.
Any subsequent accident is very likely to appear as the cause of the overtaking car, when in reality that is not the case, not can it often be proven. Thus the perpertrator is often seen as the victim - most unfair.

Huge caution prior to and during overtaking such queues is essential.

But sometimes, just sometimes it's better to accept you're stuck & not give the other drivers any cause for pleasure by making it obvious you are inconvenienced.
On the occasion when I am able to be patient the opportunity to fly past does eventually come ( not always though ). Then comes the delightful pleasure of blasting by the main culprit almost brushing his doorhandles & taking off his front bumper as I max. it in VTEC. Hopefully the drivers window is open so that he
( more often a she and old ) gets the full effect of my air horns and very loud exhaust. Scares 'em shitless & I dream that they go home suffering from a heart attack and vow never to drive again. Very irresponsible, very undisciplined, but so very satisfying.

And do you know somehting? - it ain't going to get any better as our roads get ever more cluttered & more have to drive slowly to save fuel or just smugly want to play at saving the flipping world. The latter often used as an excuse for their lifestyle failings as they play at being tree-huggers etc.

Am glad I'm nearing the end of my driving life and not looking at another 50 years
of it.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B B,Aug 22 2008, 08:42 PM
The way it is
Awesome.