Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Oh poor little Policeman

Old 08-28-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by san2000,Aug 28 2006, 07:32 PM
How come you deleted most of your post mate?
Sorry, am I missing something ??? ..... that is what I posted.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry...thought I'd read a much longer post, but perhaps it was Jasper's.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by JASPERTHEHORSE,Aug 28 2006, 08:28 PM
Moggy, I dont know if it is double standards. It all depends on the cop in question. If for example I had of come across someone "exceeding" the limit on an empty road at 3am in the morning I would have taken a different outlook to the same person "exceeding" the limit at 2pm in the afternoon. All about speed vs conditions vs attititude in my humble opinion.
hmmm.

Do you have a choice though? If the speed capture device is being audited?

I have heard the words "there has been many single car accidents on this stretch of the motorway" uttered by a serving, therefore incinuating that speeding is speeding whatever time of the day, road conditions etc.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by JASPERTHEHORSE,Aug 28 2006, 08:28 PM
I grew to hate the Police Service and what it was becoming, hence it was time to leave. I joined to be a copper, not a politically correct dummy scared to speak to people in case I got sued!
I have heard this story from a few ex-coppers, one being my stepdad (ex traffic).

I would be interested (and am sure others would) in hearing more about this. Any chance of a separate thread?

Would make good reading here or in off topic.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think most of us have already worked it out.

But it would be useful to have it clarified.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 AM

I'm in two minds about this.

Part of me says "big fuss about nothing, 3am on a December morning, M54 which is lightly trafficed anyway - what's so different to the Autobahns etc."

But there's also the indignation that there was no overt punishment for a crime that would probably have seen the rest of us disqualified at best, likely as not in jail.

But as we all know, it's the system, or at least the narrow focus on speed that's the problem. Lies and statistics dressed up and presented as fact that the general population seem to be accepting as a universal truth because it's been repeated enough times to begin to stick in their head. The issue shouldn't be the speed he was doing, but it should be the circumstances and conditions at the time, as it should with all of us, it's only recently we've been encouraged to focus on the number above all else.

Was he safe? Probably not in a Vectra at 150+, the last time I drove a Vectra at motorway speeds it felt a bit wayward at the rear - I dread to think how unstable it might be at 150. But I can't condemn the guy for what he did, not totally. We all do it to some extent, and who's to say that in the same circumstances many of us wouldn't do similar?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Aug 29 2006, 09:46 AM
We all do it to some extent, and who's to say that in the same circumstances many of us wouldn't do similar?

But there's also the indignation that there was no overt punishment for a crime that would probably have seen the rest of us disqualified at best, likely as not in jail.

agreed and agreed
Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY complaint I have is that he wasn't anally raped by the system like the rest of us would have been for doing that kind of speed.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:32 AM

He's a trained police driver though
Old 08-29-2006, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by matthehat17,Aug 29 2006, 11:32 AM
So I fail to see what the fuss is about
Are the police above the law? It really is about this question alone.

If he was on training, supervised or authorised there is little I would complain about but it was none of those. If he was going to an emergency call no one would bat an eyelid but the questions remains, do the laws that apply to normal citizens not apply to him when he is speeding in an unofficial capacity i.e. as above and not stating that he was off-duty argument?

The courts have judged that what he was doing was illegal hence being found guilty and the above issue is dead in the water. The problem is that a lot of drivers see that he was found guilty and yet received no punishment for it and hence the outrage.

Quick Reply: Oh poor little Policeman