Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Oh poor little Policeman

Old 08-27-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

simple fact is that he got caught.. if you or I got caught we'd get strung up.. i'm not gonna argue on whether the road was packed or empty or the danger of the situation but HE GOT CAUGHT DOING 159mph.

If I got caught doing that i'd lose my licence.. so why the fook doesn't he? double standards and utter bollox.

I will take any future speeding conviction I get to court and cite this case.

****s
Old 08-27-2006, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Busamav,Aug 27 2006, 10:56 AM
Well i assume you of course never exceed the limit , unless of course there is a speed that you consider is safe ?
I've never said that I never break the speed limit. In fact the very oppostie is true.

Originally Posted by j8mie,Aug 26 2006, 11:13 PM
...I'll admit, I break the speed limit, every single time I drive my car...
You may find this amazing, but I believe motorways should be derestricted, and most speed limits are at least 10mph to low. However that's not the case.

I think my original point is being lost in this game of one upmanship you seem eager to play. So I'll state it again for your benefit..............HAD THAT BEEN YOU OR ME CAUGHT DOING 150MPH, WE'D BE IN PRISON BY NOW.

It's a simple case of double standards, which only help to alienant the Police even more from the general public. I want him in prison, then, and only then will I be happy and feel he's been punished in the same manor as I would have been.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nickrg3,Aug 27 2006, 11:55 AM
heard caprice lost her licence. that nick Freeman bloke lost one!

He also lost the case against thee guy who plays Steve Mcdonald in Corrie-drunk going down a one way sreet the wrong way.

I think the Mags have finally marked his card.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Aug 27 2006, 02:11 PM
...HAD THAT BEEN YOU OR ME CAUGHT DOING 150MPH, WE'D BE IN PRISON BY NOW.
I doubt it. As I underatand it you cannot go to prison for an offence of speeding. They'd have to charge you with, say, dangerous driving.

Clean licence (assumed) 3am in the morning, roads with good visibility. Lenghty ban or points.

I think there is a time and a place to be "speeding". If you are going to do it then 3am on a m/way seems an appropriate tima and place.

How is it OK to "speed" in Germany (on some roads at some times) than it is here? Last I heard Hitler had stopped running that country some time ago.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Aug 27 2006, 01:11 PM
I think my original point is being lost in this game of one upmanship you seem eager to play.
It is not being lost at all , if you read my first response to you ,

You will see that I was commenting on how they do punish their own , more so than the general public .

It was you who decided to take my post apart .

It wasnt a game of one upmanship , I will leave that to your goodself .
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 27 2006, 01:47 PM
As I underatand it you cannot go to prison for an offence of speeding. They'd have to charge you with, say, dangerous driving.
That is the case .
Old 08-27-2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 27 2006, 02:47 PM
I doubt it. As I underatand it you cannot go to prison for an offence of speeding. They'd have to charge you with, say, dangerous driving.

Clean licence (assumed) 3am in the morning, roads with good visibility. Lenghty ban or points.

I think there is a time and a place to be "speeding". If you are going to do it then 3am on a m/way seems an appropriate tima and place.

How is it OK to "speed" in Germany (on some roads at some times) than it is here? Last I heard Hitler had stopped running that country some time ago.
I remember a few years back a pair of motorcyclists who did time for speeding offences. They were clocked doing speeds of 120+. I'm not 100% sure if they went to prison for danagerous driving/riding or speeding, but I'm 100% sure they both went to prison.

I don't really care what the charge is. I just want to see him get the same threatment as Joe public.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 27 2006, 02:47 PM
That's what the copper in question was charged with.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Aug 27 2006, 02:43 PM
I think the Mags have finally marked his card.
I don't think it was really the case that his card hasn't been "marked" in the past. He made a name for himself by picking up on obscure procedural and legal technicalities which, if the court accepts were present, mean that the beaks have not choice but to dismiss the charge.

In Caprice's case, his argument was (I think) that she didn't know she was over the limit and it was as a result of medication. I think that fell apart because she was asked three times whether she was on medication and didn't disclose the fact (supposedly because she didn't want it leaked to the tabloids that she had cystitis). From what (little) I have read about it, he didn't have very much to work with, and there wasn't any scope to pull one of his procedural rabbits out of the hat.

I saw the Simon Gregson case reported in the MEN but it didn't really have any details. It sounded rather as if he didn't have much scope to challenge procedure here either.

His speciality is tripping up the prosecution on poor procedure - that's only going to work in a certain number of cases. Maybe the high profile successes he has had have spurred the police into tightening up the procedures and cutting off his technical escape routes.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 AM

Interesting one this.
I think Ive already mentioned on here that I did 15 years as a cop and the last 9 were on Traffic. I cut my teeth on Sierra XR4X4, thru to Cosworths, Cavlier Turbos, Omega 3.0 and finally the T5 Volvos.
Ive been out 3 years now but I cant imagine much has changed so I think I can have a crack at a well informed response to this debate.

First thing that crosses my mind is that this man is an absolute spanner for letting the tape fall into the wrong hands, he clearly has pissed someone off intensely who probably thought all their christmases and birthdays had rolled into one. The Police service is full of backstabbing snakes by the way.

The excuse of familiarising himself with the car is a bit thin. We used to get cars on demo from manufacturers and Im sorry I have to be honest and admit it, we used to drive them like we were trying to kill them. However...
I used to use nightshift to sharpen my skills when you had whole roads virtually to yourself. As pointed out the only risk was to me and my crewmate, any "interference" on the road ahead of us would cause parachute and anchor deployment. I genuinely believed it was important to correctly bond with your car (I never, or very rarely, drove another car other than my allocated vehicle). Proof of that is an occasion when I rolled out on a dayshift and travelled no more than 4 or 5 miles at speeds up to 60mph and felt that something wasnt right with the cars handling. I stopped and checked the car out and eventually found a rip in the inside wall of the front nearside tyre which was obviously impossible to see, but knowing my car inside out I could feel it was wrong.
Being a traffic driver is very,very difficult not only are you concentrating on keeping your craft steady and the right way up but you are also having to think for the motorists around you. People just arent tuned into cars doing 100mph plus.
As regards this chap, I have to say that if it was me in the circumstances described I would fully expected to have been locked away.
I dont see what seperates him from the public, his skills aside, in the given circumstances. Im not averse to popping out after 1am on a nice summers night when Im off work the next day to wring the Hondas neck. Thats why I bought it, to drive fast simple as. If I got caught on the wrong end of 150mph I think I would expect to be neck deep in the cacky whatever time of the dayor road conditions.
I personally think that the sentence is a mockery and does nothing to gain public confidence. The cop doesnt have a leg to stand on, he wasnt on a training course, he was driving an unfamiliar vehicle with no manufacturers representative present or trainer and I think the truth of the matter is that he was wringing its neck for the pursuance of a movie for his personal collection. Oh and if he ever reads this and takes offence then I say this, be a man and admit thats the truth, been there, done it and got the medals....

Quick Reply: Oh poor little Policeman