Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Oh poor little Policeman

Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers Chris Type R & juansolo. Nice to see the irony has not been lost on everyone.

Originally Posted by Busamav,Aug 27 2006, 06:47 AM
...A place and a time for everything...
Yes your right there is, and the place is on a closed airfield, or race track. Not on public roads when he feels like it.

...I dont think my bike has ever been out and done less than 150 + clicks...

...I would rather the cops were practicing at those speeds rather than going out and hitting 160 for a first on a call...
There's no need for him to practise those speeds. If the Police need to pursue someone at these speeds, they would use a traffic helicopter instead, as it's much safer.

...They would have vision as though they were peering down a smartie tube , I remember the first time I hit 140 's , thats how it seemd , peripheral vision just disapeared...
All the more reason not to do those speeds on public roads.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:04 AM

I will now understand whats going through the drivers mind when i see an S2000 hogging the middle lane at a strict 70mph on the M4.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busamav,Aug 27 2006, 10:04 AM
I will now understand whats going through the drivers mind when i see an S2000 hogging the middle lane at a strict 70mph on the M4.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Busamav,Aug 27 2006, 10:04 AM
???
Old 08-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

But how did he get caught and by whom? no one actually saw him at 3am FFS and I doubt he turned himself in

He presumably couldn't disable the recording or he surely would have. Maybe he just plumb forgot in which case he is still kicking himself big time

Perhaps there is someone (e.g. Tonky if he's still around) who knows how these things are organised. But I hazard a guess that civilians go through *all* the camera footage independently and that some whistle blowing jobsworth holier-than-thou just had to speak up

Boy what an atmosphere to work in if so...
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Aug 27 2006, 09:14 AM
???
Well i assume you of course never exceed the limit , unless of course there is a speed that you consider is safe ?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good comments Juansolo - agree with you.

I noticed on the TV that they went to a race circuit and got comments from some of the professional drivers, who said they dont think they wouldbe in control at those speeds. I can imagine them all chuckling afterwards - slight revenge for some speeding fines me feels

MB
Old 08-27-2006, 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=Busamav,Aug 27 2006, 06:47 AM]

A place and a time for everything, but its something you need to be building up to and getting used to , I dont think my bike has ever been out
Old 08-27-2006, 02:55 AM

heard caprice lost her licence. that nick Freeman bloke lost one! they tried to claim that she had bad breath and was taking drugs for a urine problem or something which forced the machine to read a false high level of alcohol. The judge threw that one out saying she was obviously drunk and was in the wrong. 12 months or 9 months if she attends rehab - what a load of bollocks that is! couple of afternoons at the local AA centre and they bring it down to 9 months.

Still makes me laugh that the only reason the cops pulled her was because she had her fog lights on when it wasnt foggy

anyway - back on topic now
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by arsie,Aug 27 2006, 09:14 AM
But how did he get caught and by whom? no one actually saw him at 3am FFS and I doubt he turned himself in

He presumably couldn't disable the recording or he surely would have. Maybe he just plumb forgot in which case he is still kicking himself big time

Perhaps there is someone (e.g. Tonky if he's still around) who knows how these things are organised. But I hazard a guess that civilians go through *all* the camera footage independently and that some whistle blowing jobsworth holier-than-thou just had to speak up

Boy what an atmosphere to work in if so...
I believe the police car had normal a 'Provida' video system ......

They are very easy to 'disable' - you merely don't turn them on !! Having said that you are supposed to have the system on unless it is broken (which does actually happen alot).

Met cars and many others now have a aircraft style black box that records anything it isn't happy with and always records the last 30 seconds of driving, including, time, speed, use of blue lights, etc, etc.

The other thing in many cars and what in this case I understand was noticed is 'MDT' - a Mobile Data Terminal so that calls can be passed to the cars individually. It has mapping and GPS so at any one time the control room know where you are.

I believe a control room operative noticed that one moment the officers car was in one place and a few minutes later some considerable distance away - much more than one would normally expect ..... this was then looked into - as sometimes the GPS shows cars in the middle of the north sea and the like - and the tape pulled from the car. The rest is history.

Quick Reply: Oh poor little Policeman