Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Notice of intended prosecution

Old 07-27-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could argue the above point for the vast majority of motoring offences, aside from where a collision occurs

it is not a valid argument though IMO just because no-one suffered as a result; they MAY have, although I note that your speed was not "excessive"

and this isn't to say I do not speed, 99.9% of the population do

the cameras are also set to allow for degree above the legal limit, although this varies between counties

simple fact though, if you are caught by a (fixed) camera you are not paying enough attention
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
If i was on my way to a seriously ill family member, i'd drive like hell and if i lost my license in the process i'd not blink twice about it. However if i killed someone on the way due to excessive speed, would that justify my actions - no.
Which brings us nicely back to the old, old argument.

Its not excessive speed that kills, its inappropriate speed and the subsequent loss of control that kills.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1311770521' post='20819871
If i was on my way to a seriously ill family member, i'd drive like hell and if i lost my license in the process i'd not blink twice about it. However if i killed someone on the way due to excessive speed, would that justify my actions - no.

Its not excessive speed that kills, its inappropriate speed and the subsequent loss of control that kills.
Yep and any policeman would agree with you but still, if you get caught by a camera doing 38mph at 4am in a deserted 30mph limit you're going to get a ticket and that's all there is to it.

It's not a matter of appropriate at that point. If you want to enjoy appropriate speed, get away from the safety cameras - plenty of great roads unspoilt by them.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it acceptable to powerslide sideways past a speed camera as long as you do it below the prescribed limit ?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1311770521' post='20819871

tell you what.........

go and knock on the door of the parents of the 6 year old who was knocked off her bike and seriously injured just yards from her house

she will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life and has brain damage.

it is a ruined life and impacts everyone around her

the driver was speeding, but not excessively, if he was within the legal limit he MAY have reacted in time

see if your argument holds any water with them
Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1311770853' post='20819884
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1311770521' post='20819871']

tell you what.........

go and knock on the door of the parents of the 6 year old who was knocked off her bike and seriously injured just yards from her house

she will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life and has brain damage.

it is a ruined life and impacts everyone around her

the driver was speeding, but not excessively, if he was within the legal limit he MAY have reacted in time

see if your argument holds any water with them
[/quote]

If he couldn't react in time then his speed was inappropriate.

I'd also have to ask why he hit the child. Did the child lose control and swerve into his path or did he just not see her?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:22 AM

his speed was inappropriate because he was driving in excess of the speed limit

had he been within the limit, could and would he have reacted in time ?

he would have stood a better chance........... no argument

quiet residential street, 30 MPH posted limit, the child emerged in front of a parked car and into his path

it's all very well posting on here about speed and being relatively flippant about it (that's not a dig at you, I speed on occasion and acknowledge that, but never in a built up area)

it is very sobering when you see and deal with the aftermath (which is not limited to the minutes and hours after the fact)

next time you catch yourself speeding think of someone you know and love (I appreciate Gad's sentiments and his circumstances were exceptional)

imagine them in this situation and see if you can justify your actions
Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
his speed was inappropriate because he was driving in excess of the speed limit

had he been within the limit, could and would he have reacted in time ?

he would have stood a better chance........... no argument

quiet residential street, 30 MPH posted limit, the child emerged in front of a parked car and into his path

it's all very well posting on here about speed and being relatively flippant about it (that's not a dig at you, I speed on occasion and acknowledge that, but never in a built up area)

it is very sobering when you see and deal with the aftermath (which is not limited to the minutes and hours after the fact)

next time you catch yourself speeding think of someone you know and love (I appreciate Gad's sentiments and his circumstances were exceptional)

imagine them in this situation and see if you can justify your actions
His speed may well have been inappropriate, but not automatically because he was above the speed limit. Speed should be judged according to the circumstances, and that may well be below the speed limit as well as above.

However, when i was at school we were taught the green cross code and TV was full of adverts designed to warn children to look before they cross. I don't see those adverts any more and as per your example above, it seems it's automatically the driver's fault for hitting the child who didn't look before stepping out into the driver's path.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM

Fault, blame, call it what you like, in this case it was a set of circumstances

And speed was a factor

The end result was the same; a ruined life

Unfortunately, people (and children in particular) do not always think before acting

The same can be said for speeding, as I've tried to highlight

If this falls on deaf ears so be it, I just hope you never experience a similar situation

Happy motoring
Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If god forbid I ever hit anyone .... i'd feel mortified enough irrespective of 'fault' and the slower you are going when you hit them the greater chance they have of surviving - i'm all for 30mph in residential areas, eyes peeled and pay attention to parked cars - anyone that drives around giving less than 100% attention is a liability.

Quick Reply: Notice of intended prosecution