Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Notice of intended prosecution

Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

yep, you won't find me complaining about a fine or points

I very much like the maxim of paying your money and taking choices

but I feel sorry for some of those for whom points/fines cause problems/financial hardship
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I feel sorry for some of those for whom points/fines cause problems/financial hardship
Do you not think that it is self inflicted?

I agree that the placement of many cameras is a money making scheme, but we are all aware of the penalties. If we aren't prepared to accept the consequences, then we shouldn't take the risk.

It would seem that only those with a bit of spare cash can afford to speed.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1311628308' post='20813970
I feel sorry for some of those for whom points/fines cause problems/financial hardship

I agree that the placement of many cameras is a money making scheme, but we are all aware of the penalties. If we aren't prepared to accept the consequences, then we shouldn't take the risk.

I disagree that many are placed to raise revenue - some may be, but in the main, they don't actually raise revenue for the coppers or the local authority, but for The Exchequer. The majority I've seen are sensibly placed.

But I don't actually care if they do, because the only other way they can raise revenue is by taxing me.

At least I can avoid this one, boring as that certainly can be on occasion.

And on other occasions I haven't avoided it - so I coughed up and called myself a twat, not the person enforcing the law that I broke - it's gutless to do otherwise.

Society is generally a healthier place when people take responsibility for their own actions.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by loftust
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1311628308' post='20813970

is that what you think?

I find the the argument that "you know the law, you should be prepared to accept the consequences if you break it" rather simplistic

and dare I say, a pretty good definition of sanctimonious

you can apply this simple logic to ANY offence

but a world like that seems to be rather disturbingly Old Testament/Sharia

I believe that people make mistakes - not as a result of being cavalier about the law, but for reasons such as being distracted, being tired

So I struggle with the idea of universal, inflexible punishments

Do I have any sympathy for anyone caught speeding near a school?

No, if it's at peak times

Yes, possibly, if it's at 1am

The whole speeding 'you were over the limit, the camera never lies, the circumstances are irrelevant, therefore you will be convicted logic' is really quite daft

Worse still, I'm not sure it changes behaviour and attitudes in a positive way

If anything, it discredits the law

Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory
Originally Posted by loftust' timestamp='1311629705' post='20814041
[quote name='gaddafi' timestamp='1311628308' post='20813970']

I disagree that many are placed to raise revenue - some may be, but in the main, they don't actually raise revenue for the coppers or the local authority, but for The Exchequer. The majority I've seen are sensibly placed.

But I don't actually care if they do, because the only other way they can raise revenue is by taxing me.

At least I can avoid this one, boring as that certainly can be on occasion.

And on other occasions I haven't avoided it - so I coughed up and called myself a twat, not the person enforcing the law that I broke - it's gutless to do otherwise.

Society is generally a healthier place when people take responsibility for their own actions.
[/quote]

are you another one of those people that can only think in 1's and 0's or black and white?

we must be taxed, or if not taxed, we must be fined, there's no other way (who sung that?)

don't be daft

I complained about being ticketed for doing 60mph in a 50mph limit (empty roads, camera, d/c) - note 60mph, not 90mph or 110mph

the reason I was speeding was to get to my dying father, who I had been told was vomiting blood

I did think the law was twattish (and the people who wouldn't waive it) - and said so

never really thought of myself as being gutless

still, I'm sure my penalty really worked

I'm just not sure how
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

My last ticket was also 60, in a 'specially marked' 50mph stretch of not built-up DC. Clear, not in a hurry after a happy weekend building rabbit-proof fencing and coppicing for the National Trust. I don't know if it still is, but at the time (1999) when I had friends locally it was a well-known honey trap, the A40 going east from the Pyebush roundabout at Beaconsfield, taking a short cut from the M40 to go north round the M25. IIRC it was just days before collecting my first S2000
Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 AM

The main road near my old house has imposed a 20 zone past a school playing field. Not past the front gates of the school but the road to the right of it where there is no exit???? It's also imposed 24hrs a day, 7 days a week which I find stupid. As Gad says, why do 20 past the school at 1am?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
is that what you think?

I find the the argument that "you know the law, you should be prepared to accept the consequences if you break it" rather simplistic

and dare I say, a pretty good definition of sanctimonious

you can apply this simple logic to ANY offence

but a world like that seems to be rather disturbingly Old Testament/Sharia

I believe that people make mistakes - not as a result of being cavalier about the law, but for reasons such as being distracted, being tired

So I struggle with the idea of universal, inflexible punishments

Do I have any sympathy for anyone caught speeding near a school?

No, if it's at peak times

Yes, possibly, if it's at 1am

The whole speeding 'you were over the limit, the camera never lies, the circumstances are irrelevant, therefore you will be convicted logic' is really quite daft

Worse still, I'm not sure it changes behaviour and attitudes in a positive way

If anything, it discredits the law

Yes it is...you wouldn't want to spend 30 years in prison, so you wouldn't go out and intentionally kill someone...the same applies to speeding. If you have no intention of speeding, then you won't go over the limit. I've been caught and was annoyed with myself, but knew that if I hadn't been going too fast, then I wouldn't have been given the points and fine. It's ALL about making a risk assessment and whether or not you can afford (literally and metaphorically) to be caught.

I would like to make quite clear that I am not saying we should be watching our speedos more than the road ahead, but we are quite capable of giving it a glance every now and then.

There are procedures in place to justify your reason should you have one, and whilst a PITA, you can even go to court to argue your case. If we know we're in the wrong, we just put up and shut up. There is no point in arguing unless you happen to be argumentative tw@t who is adamant that they are right, in spite of compelling evidence. I'm sure a judge would look favourably upon the case you mentioned earlier...but for most cases, there is simply no need to have a 'man in loop'.

Being distracted or tired isn't a good excuse for speeding; in fact it's quite pathetic. If you cannot maintain a suitable amount of focus for driving, then you shouldn't be on the road. I don't expect everyone to maintain 100% concentration on the process driving; that's impossible and ludicrous, but if you cannot assess your own ability to realistically follow the rules, then you should consider an alternative method.

This is all very reasonable stuff (IMO) ladies and gents

Cameras don't change attitudes, and I'm not saying it is the best way to educate drivers...nor shall I try to find a decent method of doing so because I really CBA.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM

^^^ A judge will NEVER hear a speeding case

A magistrate(s) will. Most, IME, are clueless (stipendiary magistrates excepted) and have little experience of real life. Hence why most of them become magistrates.

Just don't expect any kind of logic as to why they arrive at their decisions

You may as well roll the dice

Best to find a decent solicitor BEFORE it gets to court and look for a technicality
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
^^^ A judge will NEVER hear a speeding case

A magistrate(s) will.
That's the one!

Quick Reply: Notice of intended prosecution