Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Notice of intended prosecution

Old 07-21-2011, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but my point is - if you're not doing anything wrong, you're not going to get done.

Getting caught driving above the limit and then casting oneself as the victim because of the car just shows a lack of ability to face up to ones actions.

Had there never been an recorded incident of a guy driving a porsche (or other sports car) too quickly, the feds would look elsewhere.

As it was, they either went:

"That's going to fast - zap - confirmed"

OR (and they're actually not allowed to do this)..

"guy driving a porche. Lets have a look" and wouldn't you know it.

Write your details down on the NIP and accept you got caught
Old 07-21-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Police see a car speeding ... they don't normally see a driver ... just a car. Speed is checked and car is stopped, etc if necessary. Simples
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Agreed and if you are then found to be 21, no insurance, no tax, 2 bald tyres, no MOT AND speeding then it's your own stupid fault.

If you're in a residential area, they should not be able to hear you a mile before they see you

If they do and they're waiting for you because you sounded like a 120mph jetmissle approaching then again, question your own driving.

If everyone paid more attention to what they did and where they did it the police would not catch half as many as they do - all they really want is for you to be safe and not have to be scraped off the road by them or their colleagues.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

unfortunately, my experience is that camera sites (static and mobile) are not placed at blackspots

if they were, I'd have less sympathy for any speeder, but because of my experience, I don't blame anyone for trying to get off

some examples of camera placing:

there has been a fixed camera on the main road into Worthing for about 15 years - it's in a place where pedestrians can't cross, there hasn't been a serious accident (never a fatal) in 40 years afaik. it does however catch out a lot of visitors as it's on a nice bit or urban d/c

on the A27 westbound after Worthing prior to Hammerpot - it's half a mile before a notorious blackspot at a site where accidents are unheard of. so the effect is that people slow for the camera an immediately accelerate and the blackspot half a mile on continues to claim lives

on the A27 eastbound at Lancing there is no camera, despite it being the scene of numerous fatal and serious accidents over the last 30 years

near Rustington another camera where I know for a fact there have been no serious accidents in the last 30 years

it's the same all over Sussex - just about any person with long experience of driving in the county will tell you that the camera siting is a joke

what is very scientific is the placing of catch cameras, never in blackspots but where drivers are known to exceed the limit

the whole policy has no credibility in my eyes
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Agree about placement.

Mine, in Norwich, is a well know cash collection point, I found out afterwards from brother-in-law who is (now retired) plod.

The OP, if on the A140, A11 or A47 to/from Norwich (and getting the hell into or out of Norfolk) could well have been on a stretch of accident-prone road. The stats are available I think on the Casualty Reduction Partnership web site.

As is the location of the mobile camera sites each week.

Worth a check next time eh
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours was on A17 in blooming Norfolk and cost Mr CJ a day out at Kings Lynn courts.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
all they really want is for you to be safe and not have to be scraped off the road by them or their colleagues.
Bollocks.

Some forces even operate the legendary 'points for prizes' schemes.
I was watching one only last week documented on Sky.
The aim of the 'game' is to catch as many crims as possible on the road.
And there is an expected points quota that they must reach, or presume they get an arse kicking (or lose O/T).
How the hell can that benefit anyone is beyond belief.

And no, this is not some 'old wives tale' heard in a pub. It was live on TV.
Obscene.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Funny thing is .... if you get caught doing more than the legal speed limit in a given area then sadly, you are still breaking the law and if you get caught doing it then they remind you of that - you still only have yourself to blame.

At no point was this thread about whether the speed limits assigned to roads are valid

How they catch you really is a secondary consideration if you are already breaking the posted limit ......
Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, sure - 'summary offence' and all that jazz.
The problem with speeding is always the same.
It is not always intentional.
Unlike assault for example.

It is however VERY easy to make a small mistake, largely harmless, that can cost you your livelyhood.

Factor in the big mileages some of us do, and the driving at 'less than optimum' human performance,
and the odds stack quickly against you.

For a force to openly expoloit these misdemeanours to extract revenue is obscene.

I am Steven
I am a criminal.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr
I am Steven
I am a criminal.
So am I from time to time and when you get caught, you get caught. You can either change the way you drive or accept it

Quick Reply: Notice of intended prosecution