Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Notice of intended prosecution

Old 07-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
Because there's bugger all in Holland

And they have a different mentality (He ish my partner and alsho my lover)

Not prejudice BTW, reality
They also drive like they're stoned anyway - too carefully & slowly to hit anything.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Originally Posted by m1bjr' timestamp='1311801485' post='20821896
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1311770521' post='20819871']
If i was on my way to a seriously ill family member, i'd drive like hell and if i lost my license in the process i'd not blink twice about it.

However if i killed someone on the way due to excessive speed, would that justify my actions - no.
YOU are not a doctor or a paramedic, so you have no need to speed even in this case.

Honestly, talk about contradictions.

If a family member was on their death bed, are you telling me you'd not try and make the world spin in the other direction to get there?
[/quote]

Not so Black and White now.
Is it.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1311804980' post='20822102
[quote name='m1bjr' timestamp='1311801485' post='20821896']
[quote name='unclefester' timestamp='1311770521' post='20819871']
If i was on my way to a seriously ill family member, i'd drive like hell and if i lost my license in the process i'd not blink twice about it.

However if i killed someone on the way due to excessive speed, would that justify my actions - no.
YOU are not a doctor or a paramedic, so you have no need to speed even in this case.

Honestly, talk about contradictions.

If a family member was on their death bed, are you telling me you'd not try and make the world spin in the other direction to get there?
[/quote]

Not so Black and White now.
Is it.
[/quote]

Yes it is.

If you get nicked on the way there doing whatever speed over the legal limit you have no more excuse in the eyes of the law than anyone else, if it's a camera ..even less so. Either way you 'man up' and take it on the chin.

The responsibility for your chosen actions is yours and yours alone - that's it ... black and white, no shades of grey.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

so, undertaking in the US (and maybe more places) - works fine there but wouldn't work here
reducing road markings - works fine in Holland but wouldn't work here
no speed limit - works fine on the Autobahn but wouldn't work here

what would work here?

speed cameras

right
Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Bless you

It must be difficult though, as the eyes age and the responses slow down ... spotting speed limit signs and those nasty bright yellow boxes they insist on hiding.

Perhaps it's time to get a chauffer .......
Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1311780005' post='20820416

I would also include under 'not a good idea' speeding on the way to a sick or very ill relative, or your wife in labour - what if this caused an accident?
IF it caused an accident then you should be punished accordingly

If it didn't, what exactly is the problem?

Again, as I said in my case, had I been driving at 90mph in busy traffic in a residential area (how would be a separate issue) then I can see the sense in a slap/points/fine

But 60 in a 50 in a non-res area on a dc with NO other traffic on the road......

The facts are that the initial offence was caught by camera but none of the many humans involved in the process subsequently were willing to show any of this much vaunted discretion

That's the norm with camera related offences and it just seems daft to me
Absolutley, this is the problem with cameras, you cannot talk to them. At least if you get pulled by a cop you can explain your situation; when I was young(er) I managed to talk my way out of a couple of sticky situations by talking to the officer.

This human element (and no, magistrates are not really human ) is sadly lacking these days and I presume it will only get worse as automation takes more control, and less police due to spending cuts.

T2 anyone? Skynet is where we are heading with this one lol won't be long before we all have GPS trackers that ticket/debit us £x for every 1 mph over the limit. (or driving in an environmentally unsound manner)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:53 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester
Bless you

It must be difficult though, as the eyes age and the responses slow down ... spotting speed limit signs and those nasty bright yellow boxes they insist on hiding.

Perhaps it's time to get a chauffer .......
I'll pretend that you aren't trying to peronalise the debate, as once you do that you lose a lot of your credibility.

So it seems as if you're saying that old people should be banned/restricted as they are a bit of a menace on the roads.

Great idea, I agree wholeheartedly and whilst we're at it why not ban sports cars ? They are the ones that go fast aren't they ?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 AM

Nope not personalising it - possibly a hint of tongue in cheek but that's fine here.

It doesn't seem that at all because that's not what I said. I suggested that if someone has had enough of negotiating speed cameras and the like then there are other options open to them.

That said, if you can't be bothered to check the camera databases, if you struggle to see speed limit signs, can't see the cameras or just cannot be bothered to stick to the speed limits then you really have no excuse if you get caught.

if you drive for a living and don't have a camera detector fitted - get one.

if you want to enjoy driving on roads that don't have cameras, do a recce run first to check out your intended route.

If you get nabbed doing 7mph over the posted limit because, in your own words, your speed wandered because you were concentrating on something else then you still have only yourself to blame.

Otherwise it's just carping about something which you DO have 100% control over

Some late statistics for you those of you who like that kind of thing ..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

We are lower than Germany and far lower than Holland, the only lower one of relevance is Sweden and they are far far FAR stricter with both road laws and vehicle regulations,.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
so, undertaking in the US (and maybe more places) - works fine there but wouldn't work here
reducing road markings - works fine in Holland but wouldn't work here
no speed limit - works fine on the Autobahn but wouldn't work here

what would work here?

speed cameras

right
I don't recall anyone saying that speed cameras DO work, although it could be argued that SPECS do, if only to reduce speeds where they are present and drivers are awake

The US also allow turning left against a red signal but we have a fundamentally different roads system here. And don't forget the speed limit in the US is 55 MPH.

Reducing road markings would cause more "accidents" here. It may be more suitable to compare India with its general lack of road markings, congestion and road fatality rate.

There is a good argument for raising the motorway speed limit though IMO, if only to apply at "quiet" times

I do not think this would help to REDUCE casualty figures BTW, it just appears to be an out-dated limit and how many people actually stick to 70 on the motorway anyway ?

Marksmen picking off speeders would probably solve the speeding issue. Wouldn't do much for the casualty stats though.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
^^^ What a ridiculous suggestion

More collisions occur at junctions than (working) traffic lights

People have difficulty staying within the markings at the best of times, it would resemble something from the "Wacky Races", you can be Dick Dastardly

Confusion reigns when road makings are removed, it may make people slower but not necessarily safer

It would just add to the number of low speed "accidents"

Its not a ridiculous suggestion.

It is a measured fact that congestion reduces in areas where the traffic lights have failed.

Quick Reply: Notice of intended prosecution