Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

No2 Son wants Civic Type R

Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHIPPO,Feb 8 2010, 12:41 PM
He,s done the dead and gone and bought one, ohhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnooooooooo
snap, No 1 son put the deposit down last Sat on a black 32000 mile 2005. he never washed his previous car so black! The money was burning a whole. How is No 2 son coping with the insurance cost?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

£1436 Lolyds TSB was the best he found , direct line his current insurer wouldn't touch the CTR

I am booked for a washing and polishing session, its Silver

Every car i looked at with him and apparently this one to was going nicely green in the shut at the top of the tailgate, but then the wifes Jazz does this as well fairly often
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM

John, that's his real name so I should use it, got a quote (£1000) with Bell which he thinks is a subsidiary of Admiral. He has 4 years driving exp but zero no claims as he has been on my insurance until now. The price did drop from £1,400 because he included me and his mum on the insurance though - worth a try?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Well the deal is done ad the car is being driven, I think he has a big smile on his face, not talked to him so much for years!

To cold this weekend for polishing so he not coming, and of to Hook woods riding.

Phil, I am afraid I will not put my name in his insurance, he needs to find the true cost of his decisions and then deal with it himself. And any way I was always lead to believe that premiums are based on the worst risk. He has 2 years ncb but a serious fault claim against him.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO,Feb 12 2010, 11:59 AM
....... but a serious fault claim against him.
Ah, I see.

We are off at first light tomorrow to pick up the car. I have given several (dozen) advice type
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your new wheels tobyCHIPPO and JohnS2K-Phil. Sure you have both learnt your lessons and will make your dads proud.

Saz and I never tire of talking cars. We are so lucky to be able to share a passion which bonds.

Hope you can make it to the next Herts meet Toby.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its really sad these days that lads cant get insured.
Im 41 but although expensive then it was nowhere near the same deal.

How about getting into some autosolos.
Good fun with lots sliding about and handbrake turns.
Great way to learn car control and compete agianst others too.
Find a local motor club.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Well MQ he is going to come if his shifts don't mess things up again.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Having swapped money for car I followed/lead him for a while as we travelled back on th eM27. He had what looked like a banana where his mouth used to be!

I got back lunch time after the purchase, but John has only just got back having visited friends in Southampton.

Do you remember that feeling after having bought your first car with your own money?

His birthday is in March so am researching a track day or perhaps an autosolo,

m1bjr - I know insurance is expensive, but that's because of the huge risk factor for the insurance company. Of his school year, the majority have a story about how they totalled their cars, some have even paid a bigger price. Why is this? Cars are faster, sure, but aren't they much safer? I can remember no airbags, brakes (what brakes?), bald tyres and if NCAP tests existed my cars would have been given a negative star value. Perhaps, just perhaps, current safety technology gives the feeling of invulnerability, after all an 18 year old needs little encouragement. Perhaps if knees got bruised in the playground a little more then maybe the dissociation from reality that you feel at this age might be tempered with the hindsight of a little experience.

right, now, where's my pension book?
Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 AM

I am with you there Phil, I have long ago come to the conclusion that the more we pile on passive safety features, such as ESP, ABS, etc etc , cant remember all the different monicas for the various gizmos, the more one encourages speed and dodgy driving. The cars feel so safe and one is so removed from feeling and involvement that we become over confident in the cars ability. And wow when it goes wrong and the gizmos finally cant cope any amount of air bags etc will not protect you.

When Toby crashed his Fiesta with air bags, he still landed up in hospital for a day with a suspected fractured sternum. He did a driver awareness course as a result, but want him to do more training but there is some resistance to this at the mo

My first car was a Viva HB that fell to bits, followed by a MK1 Cortina on Crossply rubber, wow was that dicey in any conditions, and one had great repsect for conditions, eyes wide open all the time.

I know of people that drive their nice rep-mobiles, Modeos, Insignias, BMW,s Mercs Etc at the same speeds with total disregard for conditions and I have even mentioned this in the past and been told about all the Gizmos that keep them safe, And of course there was the person with a Volvo T5 estate who was convinced that all would be well, funny how in the first ENCAP tests it was found to have very poor foot well protection which ended up giving the car only a 4!

Quick Reply: No2 Son wants Civic Type R