Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

New Car ideas - yet another one I know!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

All part of the fun. Probably.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep there were a few of those tricky points when you're trying to sit up in the seat to see!

Dave - Saggy - great cars but I've scratched the TVR itch!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Thought as much.

Fair do's
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Mar 2 2009, 03:45 PM
Exactly the conclusion Rich and I came to Nick. Lotus spend a lot of their time as consultants on other people's suspension design, they're hardly going to send their main product out of the factory handling like a shopping trolley are they? The fora are full of people extolling the virtues of Ohlin or Nitron 2 way adjustables at 2 grand a pop, I have to wonder how many people even know what their dampers do, let alone how to set them up and adjust them.
i guess that could be aimed at me, having praised ohlins on here. I have never criticised the standard setup, it's superb. Having been in one with ohlins around spa, i can say with confidence that it's a step on. As you say, lotus know their stuff, and they put ohlins on the super sport pack exige.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I kind of assumed that the Lotus 'sports suspension' was exactly that (more track orientated) and not 'spurts spension' (lowered for dicksplash wheels and stiffened for effect) like most other manufacturers.

In other words, one would find the 'ordinary' set-up perfect for road use and sports perfect for track use. But for most of us, it's a bit esoteric at that level - not that there's anything at all wrong with Ohlins, per se.

Well, except for the ones on the back of an S2000...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Mark where, what etc have you had set up suspension wise?

Russ.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
MB

I have standard bilstein stuff, Russ. Geo and corner weighting done by my lotus dealer (they have a good enough setup) Perfectly happy with it!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Mar 2 2009, 11:22 PM
I have standard bilstein stuff, Russ. Geo and corner weighting done by my lotus dealer (they have a good enough setup) Perfectly happy with it!
Mark - bit of a subjective question but do you think all the dealers are capable of getting the geo and corners set up properly?

The one I drove felt really heavy!

Ta
R
Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Mar 2 2009, 06:14 PM
i guess that could be aimed at me, having praised ohlins on here. I have never criticised the standard setup, it's superb. Having been in one with ohlins around spa, i can say with confidence that it's a step on. As you say, lotus know their stuff, and they put ohlins on the super sport pack exige.
Mark - not aimed at you at all. More the general concensus.

It just seems that there are a lot of people who go straight from a poor dealer setup (I've never driven a well set up dealer car, that speaks volumes) to Ohlins or Nitrons and comment on how they transformed the car. I'm sure one or two of the better dealers have the ability to set the cars up, but the majority don't I fear.

So it's now become percieved wisdom that a car is not well set up unless you've spent
Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 AM
MB

Understood and agreed Mark! I can only really comment on my own dealer, but they do seem to have a good setup, and talked me through the geo readings before and after. They do look after exotic stuff as well though. I could feel a difference, but i'm not good enough to know if it makes me any faster I also wouldn't know how to adjust stuff for tracks. Only just worked out how the arb adjustment works!

Quick Reply: New Car ideas - yet another one I know!