Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Nearly Cars

Old 02-16-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

318i/318d/320i and 320d models are by far the biggest sellers, mainly to reps.

Sad, I know. But that's where the money is. And BMW wouldn't be able to make the big M cars without these sh1tboxes.

Whenever anyone winds me up about BMWs, saying they're all driven by tossers, I know they have had experience with one of these four-pot Threes being parked in their boot on the M-way at 90mph.

Anyone with a 'proper' straight-six BMW (or bigger) drives properly, I often notice.

In our house...

We have an E46 M3. No ####ing M Sport badges on a 318i here, I thank you so very much.

As for the rest of them... anyone who drives a 150bhp Focus and hopes it might fool people into thinking they have the 222bhp 'real deal' which only costs
Old 02-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Corporal Clegg,
Had a wooden leg,
He won it in the war,
In 1944.

Corporal Clegg,
Had a medal too,
In orange red and blue
...he found it in the zoo.

Dear, oh dear, do they really laugh at me?
Dear, oh dear, are they really sad for me?

etc

Syd Barrett
Old 02-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 16 2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, they do. Refer to Gad's statement that the world is populated by losers and that will explain it.

Here's a lovely example of this. Someone at work is selling a Y-plate 306 2.0HDi. An unremarkable car that probably does a decent job of transporting a small family around.

However, the advertiser has obviously copied the specifications from the Peugeot brochure. This unremarkable car comes with "Laser" alloys, and a "Sports aerial", what is a "Sports Aerial"?

you know you have scraped through the barrel and have reached China, when you start talking about the ariel in a Car advert.

Mine is a fully automated retracting model, that discretly powers away when the radio is not inuse.

Thanks to those brilliant engineers at Jaguar, even if you put a CD on, the ariel motors up.

Until the weather gets really bad then you get in an icy car put a cd on and listen to the motor burn out trying to push a metal rod through ice.

I'm told by the dealers, one of the most popular reasons for replacement is people who get bored in car washes and decide to put on a bit of music.....
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 AM

This is a weird thread.

I seriously cannot believe that most of you lot don't understand why people buy cars like A4 2.0T FSI, BMW 330 etc

What's the problem?

Not everyone can:

1) Afford to buy the top of the range car
2) Afford the insurance costs of an expensive car
3) Can afford the running costs e.g. servicing, fuel, tax, depreciation

Insurance for the young is very expensive these days (and rightly so), making cars like the Saxo VTR a great choice.

Whats sad about getting a 320d? It's the best diesel saloon car in it's class.

However, what I don't understand is the people who buy:

BMW 116i
BMW 118d
BMW 318
BMW 520
MB C180
MB E200

etc etc

and I do have a pet hate when some muppet badges up their 3 series with an M3 badge... but as long as they are happy who cares?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 AM
Banned

Moff, it should be trabants for the lot of them until they can afford something better. Bodykits should be illegal.

I don't have a problem with a medium spec car like an A3 2.0FSI. What I have a problem with is if that car has all the bodykit and wheels of the range topper, with a pathetic engine underneath.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 16 2007, 10:22 AM
This unremarkable car comes with "Laser" alloys, and a "Sports aerial", what is a "Sports Aerial"?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently this is a UK phenomenon.

A 318 here, will be debadged, a couple of grand worth of big alloys added, but have a cloth interior, no climate control and a cassette player.

On the continent, a 318 has the badge and steel wheels, but come with climate control, leather, decent audio system, and things to make the drivers life comfortable. I think that speaks volumes and is the far more sensible approach. No trying to be something you're not. Even a 318 is nice to drive, even if it's gutless.

And I can see the point of SL350's and CL350's. Not my cup of tea, but when you consider the old giffers that drive them, they just want a big comfortable car to waft around in.

Badging something as something better is bad. but I encourage badging an Gad style M5 as a 520.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh, yes - debadging is far better!

But it's that really sad, delusional thing, like a 'Type-R' badge on a 1.2 Jazz.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Feb 16 2007, 03:22 AM
Apparently this is a UK phenomenon.

A 318 here, will be debadged, a couple of grand worth of big alloys added, but have a cloth interior, no climate control and a cassette player.

On the continent, a 318 has the badge and steel wheels, but come with climate control, leather, decent audio system, and things to make the drivers life comfortable. I think that speaks volumes and is the far more sensible approach. No trying to be something you're not. Even a 318 is nice to drive, even if it's gutless.
Read that in Evo?!

I was sitting on the bog reading exactly the same thing this morning!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Saxo Boy,Feb 15 2007, 11:34 PM] Agree completely - the only thing that makes me even more annoyed is when some rude boy buys a 1.1 saxo and fits the VTS alloys, bodykit, seats, badges, etc, etc.

Quick Reply: Nearly Cars