Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Modifications....

Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nearly, but never! Most of the time i've bought with resale in mind and bought squeaky clean stuff (Exige / Evo) but i'd still buy most of my cars back!

Back OT though... Most mods are a waste of money, I just like fiddling and seeing the results.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Feb 14 2011, 07:42 PM
I just like fiddling and seeing the results.
I'd heard that about you.......
Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2,Feb 14 2011, 11:13 AM
no he's completely wrong.

lowered and modified is the way to go.
this video shows better proof of this
Have you actually watched that all the way through?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Old 02-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That was exactly what happened to mine! Even the R/H drop link was taken out the same.

You don't need to ape track-appropriate geometry inappropriate to the road to be a top-class Wa(ta)nabe!

Hellabang.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM

I kinda agree with him, but he also said later that no two cars are identical and that is the same with Mods. If you look at some mods you can see they are for performance, fitting Ohlins is obviously for performance, fitting some Ripspeed specials is not.

So it is totally dependent on what the mods are and WHO did them. A car set up by a race team/company (i.e. TGM, SBD or Northampton Motorsport) is going to be an awfully lot better than a something that was done in a shed.

Its just common sense. But on the most part, you would just walk away from a modified car because not many people modify properly.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
ge2

Typical JC soundbite - it's a bit of fun, that's all. Pretty much everything he says is designed to provoke reaction and it does.

I know of a few lowered E30s that handle very well indeed

I think my opinion on modified road cars is well known

I can understand a few tweaks here and there but once you go too far it becomes unquantifiable bollocks.

There's always exceptions though, although I think they're mainly modding for modding's sake there's a couple of interesting build threads that have drawn me back to the main board of late.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gbduo,Feb 14 2011, 09:57 PM
I kinda agree with him, but he also said later that no two cars are identical and that is the same with Mods. If you look at some mods you can see they are for performance, fitting Ohlins is obviously for performance, fitting some Ripspeed specials is not.

So it is totally dependent on what the mods are and WHO did them. A car set up by a race team/company (i.e. TGM, SBD or Northampton Motorsport) is going to be an awfully lot better than a something that was done in a shed.

Its just common sense. But on the most part, you would just walk away from a modified car because not many people modify properly.
Actually,

Gad once bought a hellamodded one cheaply and used the proceeds of flogging the tat (some of which was good stuff) to restore it to proper working order.

And there are a few sympathetically modded cars that one might buy; it's generally they get returned to standard since they are worth more like that & the genuine rice bits really holds its value.

But yes; "what on earth were they thinking?" is usually what springs to mind...
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The last thing I would want is a road car set up by a race team, but you are right that I suspect many modifications are not carried out properly, or with much knowledge of what's actually going on.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 15 2011, 11:17 AM
The last thing I would want is a road car set up by a race team, but you are right that I suspect many modifications are not carried out properly, or with much knowledge of what's actually going on.
I had my Exige set up by a race garage.

But they did 75% of the testing on the road and just a half day at Castle Combe, most of it with me driving.

They turned the car into the best handling road car I (and the mechanics and garage owner) have ever driven. By far. Ralston drove it through the N. Yorks moors after he'd test driven a dealer's car and reckoned the difference was night and day.

I think what you mean is, you wouldn't want a road car set up for the track, which I'd agree with.

Quick Reply: Modifications....