Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Megane R26R chasing an Ariel Atom - Trackday Video

Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 AM
MBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megane R26R chasing an Ariel Atom - Trackday Video

Thought I would share this with you as a few of you enjoy your trackdays and others are off to Colerne soon - and becuase it was a lot of fun!

R26.R chasing an Atom - enjoy the giggling from me and Steve (m1bjr)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOGWiudehs

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting the R, good as it maybe, is in the same league as the Ariel Atom! For a couple of laps on Saturday at Colerne it certainly felt good to catch and be faster than one through the twisties! Now it's a trackday so the driver could have been new to the track or the Atom etc etc but all the same it looks good and felt great from my seat!

As you will see later in the day, as he gained confidence (or maybe this was a different driver??) and got much quicker he was easily able to catch and pass the R. Which was followed by the moment at 3m40s which did make us chuckle. The R is very capable on high speed corners and at around 90mph (real GPS speed - the speedo showed closer to 100mph) you need some commitment to go through fast sweeping corners, you will see by the speedo I'm going through with a balanced throttle so the speed stays the same until I start to unwind the lock. We will never know but I suspect the Atom driver lifted and...well that's in the video. No harm done though just the sort of moment trackdays are all about.

To pre-empt a few questions you might have:

Data

The data was captured by a Racelogic PerformanceBox (
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Nice stuff chaps and very informative re the kit.

Car looks brisk.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Changed your mind now, Steve??? About time too.......

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15249753
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 PM

More excellent footage! Love the equipment too - G/F says I don't need a performance box....!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 AM

What do you think of the layout of Colerne, compared to the other motorsport trackdays, I live 5 mins form Colerne, and that layout doesn't seem as exciting as Hullavington/Kevlee etc?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 AM

Loving the geeky trackday equipment, that is a fantastic load of trackday stuff you have there MBK. One day Rodders, one day!!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:54 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by Fatbloke,May 26 2009, 03:06 PM
Changed your mind now, Steve??? About time too.......

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15249753
Lol - I will remind him of that quote next time he is sat in my 'french tat'.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM
MBK

Hypersonic - you so do need one lol!!

Joper90 - re the tracks I think they all have there merits. Keevil is faster for sure, that big chicane on the main straight is about as excting as Airfield corners get, as is the flat left hand sweeper.

Colerne is a different challenge - the big left sweeper again tests your bottle (in the morning session it was very slippy through there - probably 10mph quicker when it rubbered in). The final corner(flat right hander - just before the pit exit) is astonishing - you can really feel the forces acting on the car - get it right and you are rewarded with a very swift lap beacuse you straight line the l,r,l before the tight right to rejoin the main straight.

I think the variety of circuits makes it fun - you are always learning something new about yourself and your car - how to get the most around certain types of corners etc, where the limit is and so on - so I would say try them all!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by (S2K4ME),May 27 2009, 05:27 AM
Loving the geeky trackday equipment, that is a fantastic load of trackday stuff you have there MBK. One day Rodders, one day!!
Why thank you - there is also a load of even more geeky video editing software I didn't mention!

I'm easily impressed with new toys, gotta love gadets. I do tend to keep them a while though so I justify the fact its taken me 5 years to build this lot up so the cost per trackday is actually minimal (works out in my mind)!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MBK,May 27 2009, 06:54 PM
Lol - I will remind him of that quote next time he is sat in my 'french tat'.
Bugger.... bang to rights

Quick Reply: Megane R26R chasing an Ariel Atom - Trackday Video