Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Marshal killed at Oulton Park

Old 04-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Woman,Apr 24 2006, 06:21 PM
Frankly your post was a disgrace as it sounded like you suspected that guy of having been one of the few bad ones.
Funny, I thought this comment would have put paid to such a theory.

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Apr 22 2006, 03:20 PM
That's not a reflection on this guy, just a general observation.
You're all right though, I should just have added another blanket "thoughts with family" message, and helped keep the thread another morbid obituary. Heaven forbid I should lower the tone and start a discussion, rather than another outpouring of grief over someone we don't know.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Apr 22 2006, 02:20 PM

That's not a reflection on this guy, just a general observation.
I think that said all that needed to be said

It is a risky business, some people possibly don't take it as seriously as they should. The problem with volunteers is that sometimes you get what you pay for.

At the end of the day the guy had some terrible luck, I don't think BB was even suggesting it was the guys own fault, however I am concerned about a job with such obvious risk being done on an unpaid basis.

As for all the "your post was a disgrace" type comments, the post was not unreasonable in my opinion.

Careful you don't fall off that high horse
Old 04-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

It's easy for someone's opinion to be a disgrace on S2KI though. All you need to do is disagree with it.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Well, for my part, the point of the thread was twofold -

a) to "report" if you like, that someone had been killed while marshalling and that it was an unfortunate instance (which no one is disagreeing with obviously)

but yes, also b) to generate some discussion re safety trackside, both in terms of marshalling, spectating and, more crucially for me, photography (seeing as I'm in the process of joining the NUJ and should be getting a press card)
Old 04-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

That's what I assumed, mate. I don't take you for the type of person who wept at Diana's televised funeral, whilst listening to the "Candle in the Wind" CD single on repeat. I too thought we might have the type of discussion you just described. Silly me!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by grahamb,Apr 24 2006, 07:14 PM
Well, for my part, the point of the thread was twofold -

a) to "report" if you like, that someone had been killed while marshalling and that it was an unfortunate instance (which no one is disagreeing with obviously)

but yes, also b) to generate some discussion re safety trackside, both in terms of marshalling, spectating and, more crucially for me, photography (seeing as I'm in the process of joining the NUJ and should be getting a press card)
Marshalls know that "motorsport is dangerous". They get told that all the time (IME anyway). I get involved in Motorsport from time to time and the posters saying that tend to be around warning everyone, even spectators (although at circuits spectators are the most protected). I have even put up those posters myself.

I would expect it is as dangerous for photographers as Marshalls.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have to declare that you marshall at such events to your life insurers?
Old 04-24-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Apr 24 2006, 10:22 PM
Do you have to declare that you marshall at such events to your life insurers?
it is considered dangerous, but i never informed the insurance peeps, actually didnt care too much about that then

but i did give it up after many years, and not just because of the danger - the worst i had was when the engine of a vintage car exploded: shrapnel rained all around. I gave up due to the long hours and in all weathers. Best events were always the clubs ones, really didnt care for F1 and it drivers with their heaqds up their arses : cus mansell

Marshall's are strictly voluntary, have to go out in all hours and have very early starts, with many travelling the length of the country to do so, with little thanks. The nice part is when the drivers acknowedge you after the race. pity more spectators dont.

sorry to hear of the loss for this guys family. If it wasnt for Marshal's, there would be no legal racing. period.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=Bada Bing!,Apr 24 2006, 07:12 PM] It's easy for someone's opinion to be a disgrace on S2KI though.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkB,Apr 25 2006, 01:31 AM
Put your handbag away Bada.

The guy that died was a club marshal. How much experience do you have of marshalling at club events?

None? Been as a spectator once perhaps?

Or just like to make sure everyone hears your uninformed opinions and no-one questions them?

I'm the last one here to become sentimental, but I do have a fair amount of experience of club racing, and have had reason to be thankful of marshals on several occasions. These are the people who arrive at the track early in the morning, stand around all day, often in the pissing rain and be the last to leave the circuit. They don't do it to watch free racing, most club events are only a tenner to get into, and most people just get one of the competitors free tickets anyway. They perform a service to the sport they love, and are in danger doing so but they accept that, they also want to do a good job.

It may be the case at F1 and WRC events, where the cost of tickets is now so high that some might see marshalling as a cheap way to get in, but in this case we were talking about a club event - and you were talking from an uninformed viewpoint.

Get over yourself and stop whining.
Hang on a minute.

In fairness to Bada & a few others here have acknowledged the fact, he did caveat his comment by stating it didn't refer to this particular guy. And as others have pointed out he does have a point. Some people need to take a minute & chill out or something. To read something into a written comment without the benefits of face to face contact & body language etc is plain daft.

If this thread was started as an 'in memorium' thread for the guy then it should have been stated as such so that users understood opinions weren't needed or warranted.

Ed

Quick Reply: Marshal killed at Oulton Park