Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Marshal killed at Oulton Park

Old 04-24-2006, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a day as a flaggie when I was getting signatures to upgrade my licence to Nat. A, great bunch of people without whom we wouldn't be able to race (or we'd have to pay even more to do so).

They do what they do for free and for the love of the sport, Bada your post is uninformed bollocks of the highest order, every marshal I've met (and when you've spun as many times as I have, you meet a lot) has been nothing less than utterly professional.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 AM

I marshall at rallies (including the WRC) - I've only marshalled at 5-6 rallies so far (3 WRC's, Sunseeker and Kent) and I've never extended it to circuits or tracks.

Unfortunately BB has a point, and particularly at WRC you get people who are after free entry and they take the p*ss royally. However a good sector commander will spot this and take necessary action; either assign them to a harmless spot or reprimand them/kick them off. I'd like to state at this point, that the group I go with is always picked up for our good behaviour and high standards by rally organisers, and have been "upgraded" recently to cover the timing section of rally stages, mostly due to good training and leadership from a guy called John who organises us.

Marshalling is dangerous - by the nature of the role, you are often stationed in places too risky for spectators and rely on other marshalls and your own common-sense, wits and planning (if a car comes I'm heading for that huge big tree over there!) to avoid serious (or not serious) injury. So far luckily I have only seen 2 minor injuries to marshalls, both caused by them being hit by rather large pebbles kicked up by cars. I've also had a spectator ride a quad bike at me (seems to be more risk from the spectators than the cars sometimes!!)

My sympathies go to the family of the marshall involved - its a sobering thought (and I'm sure this was an accident rather than any negligence of anybody involved) that this happens.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 24 2006, 01:33 PM
Unfortunately BB has a point, and particularly at WRC you get people who are after free entry and they take the p*ss royally
I wonder if that's less likely at circuits given the more remote aspect of rally stages.

Just thinking aloud really.

That's not to say that circuits are necessarily any less dangerous. Even despite the "gaps" between marshalls, these guys had to really shift to get out of the way at Brands last year

Thankfully no one was hurt in that one.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:51 AM
ge2

It does make you think. I clipped a marshall's leg when I spun off at Cadwell a few years back, luckily he was just bruised. Had I come off a few feet to the side it would have been a very different story and even though it's the risk they take, I wonder how I'd be feeling about it now.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 24 2006, 12:33 PM
I marshall at rallies (including the WRC) - I've only marshalled at 5-6 rallies so far (3 WRC's, Sunseeker and Kent) and I've never extended it to circuits or tracks.

Unfortunately BB has a point, and particularly at WRC you get people who are after free entry and they take the p*ss royally. However a good sector commander will spot this and take necessary action; either assign them to a harmless spot or reprimand them/kick them off. I'd like to state at this point, that the group I go with is always picked up for our good behaviour and high standards by rally organisers, and have been "upgraded" recently to cover the timing section of rally stages, mostly due to good training and leadership from a guy called John who organises us.

Marshalling is dangerous - by the nature of the role, you are often stationed in places too risky for spectators and rely on other marshalls and your own common-sense, wits and planning (if a car comes I'm heading for that huge big tree over there!) to avoid serious (or not serious) injury. So far luckily I have only seen 2 minor injuries to marshalls, both caused by them being hit by rather large pebbles kicked up by cars. I've also had a spectator ride a quad bike at me (seems to be more risk from the spectators than the cars sometimes!!)

My sympathies go to the family of the marshall involved - its a sobering thought (and I'm sure this was an accident rather than any negligence of anybody involved) that this happens.
Very well said Dreamer

oh BTW only one L in marshal
Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Apr 24 2006, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately BB has a point, and particularly at WRC you get people who are after free entry and they take the p*ss royally. However a good sector commander will spot this and take necessary action; either assign them to a harmless spot or reprimand them/kick them off.
From what I know of circuit racing, while there is always a need for more marshals, the 'spectators' after a free pass don't number very many, and are generally found out and removed in fairly quick order. Besides which, not that many are willing to get to a circuit at 8 and be there all day in all weathers just to watch a bunch of third rate club racers.....
Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems the porr bugger was behind a barrier too bless him .

"A race marshal lost his life yesterday afternoon, Friday 21 April 2006, at Oulton Park race circuit after being struck by an out of control motorcycle during a test day organised by MCRCB-Events. During the penultimate scheduled session of the day a rider of a Yamaha R1 1000cc motor cycle lost control under braking for Lodge corner and came off the motor cycle, which then bounced in the air, clearing a barrier and striking a flag marshal, who sustained fatal injuries. The rider of the motor cycle was very shaken but otherwise uninjured.
The Directors, staff and officials of MCRCB-Events, join the circuit owners, Motorsport Vision in sending our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased and we are all deeply saddened that someone should lose their life serving the sport they love.

The circumstances of the incident are being investigated by the MCRCB and the relevant authorities."
Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by neil82cup,Apr 22 2006, 03:35 PM
There is no need post that on a thread like this.
Originally Posted by MarkB,Apr 24 2006, 01:00 PM
Bada your post is uninformed bollocks of the highest order, every marshal I've met (and when you've spun as many times as I have, you meet a lot) has been nothing less than utterly professional.
Oh dear god.

See the F1 yesterday? See the marshal almost getting knocked down to run across and watch Alonso enter the pits? See the gaggle of other "marshals" huddled together with him (must have been at least 20 of them) at the top of the pit lane standing around enjoying the show?

That is what I mean. There are bad marshals as well as good. This is a fact. Get a life guys, and think about reading people's opinions objectively, instead of jumping into emotional bollocks like "who are you to criticise a marshal" (when it's clear to see many have faults) or "how dare you criticise them when one of them has died". Do any of you criticise footbal players who miss a sitter every weekend? Thought so.

I have been a spectator at motorsport events, I also watch a lot of motorsport on TV, and as Dreamer has rightly said, there are marshals out there who just either turn up for a days free viewing, or just have no concept of where it's safe to stand. Particularly at foreign events. It is plain to see, and to deny it all just becasue one of them has tragically died, is utterly pathetic.

I also didn't claim in any way that this guy died out of anything other than bad luck.

Deep breaths now, guys...
Old 04-24-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Apr 24 2006, 03:06 PM
From what I know of circuit racing, while there is always a need for more marshals, the 'spectators' after a free pass don't number very many, and are generally found out and removed in fairly quick order. Besides which, not that many are willing to get to a circuit at 8 and be there all day in all weathers just to watch a bunch of third rate club racers.....
Good point !!

Poor guy
Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 AM

BB, what is the purpose of talking about the bad marshalls on this case?
If you read the information supplied on the first post, you can tell straight away that he was correctly at his post.

Frankly your post was a disgrace as it sounded like you suspected that guy of having been one of the few bad ones.

Nobody is denying there are bad marshalls (not many though), and motorsport would not take place without marshalls. There are bad examples of all professions, activities.....etc, even bad boyfriends, girlfriends and parents. Your "general observation" in this context was out of place. This is why people are reacting.

Quick Reply: Marshal killed at Oulton Park