Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

M3 Testdrive

Old 08-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 Testdrive

Okay so i've still not decided what car i'm getting - it's between a 997 S, or an Exige S or an M3. I had always considered the M3 a distant 3rd place in my affections - considering it a good compromise, but ultimately a bit unexciting compared to the other two.

However given the launch of the new 'Edition' variant and some great offers on BMW contract hire, I thought I would give it a fair go.

I'm glad I did. I was massively surprised by how good it was.

I had worried how big it would feel, but from the first turn of the wheel, it felt incredibly light on its feet, with so little inertia I was genuinely surprised seeing two seats in the back!

Turn in is pretty electric, and there is so little understeer, and it feels incredibly balanced on the throttle - almost like it's on it's tip toes whilst still feeling planted.
It always felt exciting - the squirm in the chassis under all that power is really awe-inspiring.

Performance is awesome - but not in the same little inertia expolsive way as an exige, but equally exciting. Revving through to the redline felt amazing, and the extra power right up to the redline would never get tiring. Felt as daft as it sounds like an S engine with much bigger lungs, and without the VTEC step.

Engine sounded great, just a shame it's not a bit louder. There are some excellent exhausts around which really free up the sound, but depending on how I finance it that might preclude some options!

Engine has a deep V8 sound on low throttle positions, but takes on a hard edged wail similar to the previous straight six E46 M3 (without the rasp which i never liked)

The interior was a massive improvement over lesser 3 series, and felt like quite a special place to sit.

Massively massively impressed

I'm going back to place an order tomorrow for this. (I think)

Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not quite the same beast but I still love my E46 M3.

YOu getting a coupe or Saloon? I have to say I prefer the E90 Saloon M3. Just for the stealth look. Although you don't get the carbon roof.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by chilled,Aug 22 2009, 04:31 PM
Not quite the same beast but I still love my E46 M3.

YOu getting a coupe or Saloon? I have to say I prefer the E90 Saloon M3. Just for the stealth look. Although you don't get the carbon roof.
Definitley coupe - I want the Edition variant so that means coupe. Plus I love the carbon roof! Have you tried the E9x M3?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, I might end up spending money if I did.

That's not a bad offer on the contract hire... hmmm.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM
ADP

In the above colour?

Im a big fan having had the E46 myself(just gone). Ive sat in a few and the interior is great imho.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ADP,Aug 22 2009, 04:41 PM
In the above colour?

Im a big fan having had the E46 myself(just gone). Ive sat in a few and the interior is great imho.
Yeah in that colour - it's specific to the edition model.

Only thing to bear in mind with the contract hire is that it's exclusive of VAT. Still I think it's a bloody good offer.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Mike, interesting read!

I really like the new M3 and am tempted. A mate had one and said do not touch the auto with a bargepole. The manual is superb.

I saw 20 or so flying around the Ring a few weeks ago, as instructor cars. All white
Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM
MB

PS - just out of interest, how come you are buying new? They do seem to drop like a stone.

Also, how was the gearchange? I've not felt a nice shift on any BMW but was hoping this felt a bit more direct.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Aug 22 2009, 06:01 PM
PS - just out of interest, how come you are buying new? They do seem to drop like a stone.

Also, how was the gearchange? I've not felt a nice shift on any BMW but was hoping this felt a bit more direct.
Never thought I would buy new, but the contract hire options are really pretty good at the moment, and if I have one I'd like the Edition model.

Gearchange was decent - probably as long a throw as the exige, but less direct and positive. Certainly not bad.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 AM
MB

Just looking at the options list, looks like you can bump a good 10k on without blinking

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/ind...0&section=price

My lotus had about 3 options

Quick Reply: M3 Testdrive