Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

M3 is an impressive car

Old 09-09-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts
Default M3 is an impressive car

I was out for a blast yesterday, when I came up behind an old shape BMW M3 Coupe on a dual carriageway. The driver clearly rose to this, and accelerated away. He was half way around a tight roundabout at the time! What impressed me about the car was its controllablity with lit up back tyres. I let him go off, but eventually got away first through some traffic.

A few miles later, the same M3 comes roaring uo behind me again. Slightly irritated by the tailgating, I open up some space round another roundabout. As the guy catches up on the straight, I have opportunity to pull into the left lane and let him struggle past. He then roars off, only to brake sharply for a gentle dual carriageway bend

Needless to say, I've caught up with him again through another roundabout. This time I hold well back, as there's slower traffic and he seems rather oblivious to it.

I then get the chance to stay with him through an empty roundabout and along an empty straight. He suddenly pulls into the empty left carriageway and proceeds at a very modest speed.

I can then continue driving unmolested!

I conclude that the M3 is a very fast and stable car when driven in a ham-fisted and clumsy manner.

Another BMW driver stereotype is safely confirmed.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the pleasure of tussling with an M3 Evo on two consecutive days last week. The first day he was in front of me and when we hit the fast lane with clear road we both went for it, to my surprise I managed to stick with him all the way without him gaining at all.

The next day we happend to meet at the same time and place, this time I was in front, we hit the fast lane and I floored it but this time he was all over me like a rash.

My conclusion was that on the first day I managed to stay with him due to being in the slipstream, the 2nd day just wen't to prove that the M3 EVO is a very powerful beast and side by side I would imagine would leave the S2000 in its wake.

Still it was good fun.

I know a couple of people who have owned M3's and although they love the power the say the car is a bit uninvolving to drive, probably too good that it takes out the driving pleasure.
Old 09-09-2001, 07:40 AM

Read about these 'street races' in the US
Have never been able to understand - given equal drivers - how S2000 manages to beat Z3M or Boxster S - not given the mfrs figures anyway.
Will probably know more what I am talking about when I go for my test drives - but with wife (lovely aren't they?) insisting on new ' toy' for new 'toy' - the 10-15k diff. will probably go on her new ' toy'
Old 09-09-2001, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Nick Graves

I conclude that the M3 is a very fast and stable car when driven in a ham-fisted and clumsy manner.

Another BMW driver stereotype is safely confirmed.
Yup, the old M3 was a nice car. Thought about one instead of the S2000. Seemed nice, but a bit wooly. I don't think they really did the engine justice...

I've had Vtec for 24 hours now (>700 miles ). Only one scalp of merit. A new 911. Had the new style ugly 'grille' bumper so he was probably running in. He didn't give up to easy, and seemed annoyed when I looked in the rear view mirror.

Then just after that I had a 205 Gti had a go... bloke with his girlfriend. He had a little go, but by 8000rpm he'd given up. I slowed down a bit, he caught up and gave me a big thumbs up. That was really nice. He's the kind of drive I'd like to be able to aford a S2000 some day. The Porsche driver - just because someone goes past doesn't mean you have to be bad about it.

-Brian.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:07 AM

Brian - I follow your sentiments entirely. It seems that the Saxo/Peugeot GTi brigade seem to be generally good natured enthusiasts and one does quietly hope they will be able to afford a true performance car one day. They seem to deserve it more than some who have more disposable income than enthusiasm/ability.

That also goes for Ka drivers! Those little things really handle for the money!

Other drivers can seem to feel very threatened (their ego, rather than physically).

Mike- That's ability (or recklessness. It can be a fine line!) A 2.7 Boxster/M3/CLK/S2000 should be close day to day.

BTW, I don't think the term "street racing" really translates. I think that is something rather more serious and can be it very dangerous. These tussles tend to be much shorter & less competitive.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick Graves
[B]Brian - I follow your sentiments entirely. It seems that the Saxo/Peugeot GTi brigade seem to be generally good natured enthusiasts and one does quietly hope they will be able to afford a true performance car one day. They seem to deserve it more than some who have more disposable income than enthusiasm/ability.

That also goes for Ka drivers! Those little things really handle for the money!

Other drivers can seem to feel very threatened (their ego, rather than physically).
Old 09-09-2001, 10:14 AM

I had a test drive in the ZM Coupe last week, which has more or less the same engine as the new M3. The power really is awesome and would always leave the s2000 standing. However, the driving position in my s2000 is far superior to the ZM. If only the s2000 had a slightly bigger engine.....
Old 09-09-2001, 10:25 AM

I like the look of the ZM coupe. I can see why people say it's ugly though. One of those like em or hate em cars.
It's also pretty rare, which is a bonus.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:59 AM

Andy - I am in the latter catergory over the Z3M, so I fully concur with your closing line
Old 09-09-2001, 03:20 PM

On the three track days I have been to, there have been many E36 M3's and the one MZ Coupe and I have passed them all. Obviously I can't comment on driving ability but I think that the S2Ks circuit capabilities are a cut above most BM's. I even overtook a new shape M3 at my last track day (although I did get passed by another new shape M3 twice but it was Steve Soper driving!!!!) Also all my track days have been wet and I think that the S2K, for a RWD car, excells in the wet. I haven't come across any M3's on the road but I think that the extra torque would give it an advantage.

Quick Reply: M3 is an impressive car