Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Luxo Barge search ..

Old 02-18-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Luxo Barge search ..

I've deliberating for a while about what will be on the shopping list, but I'm certain about something - it's certainly going to have to be a comfy thing with all the toys. Budget is circa 20k, 300ish bhp and I won't rule out an EV. Something big and roomy.
So far on the list, in no particular order, are as follows:
Ioniq 5 (pushing it for cost though, low power version)
Audi e-tron 50
Panamera 2015- 3.0D (Audi engine and gearbox)
A7 Bi TDI 2015-
335d Xdrive or 330d rwd,
E400d
740d, 535d (late-ish one)
F Type (curve ball here, mid 30s mpg certainly possible but still cruise well)
Polestar 2
Alfa Giulia Veloce

Fair size list, it will probably take about 3 months before I get behind the wheel of most of these. The EV's would introduce a new style of driving as well as cosseting on the way to business meetings, but, I'm after something of good quality. I'm used to 3 litre diesels and don't mind them at all. Previous car to my s2000 was an A5 3.0 TDI quattro, which drove well and, yes lacked dynamics but it got on with the job on the commute, and was fairly reliable. The Panny and A7 share it's engine largely. Driving dynamics won't be a real issue as this won't be flying down b roads bouncing off the 4.5k limiter, or being "remapped" for traffic lights grand prix. I'll be further exploring extended warranty (certainly on the Porsche) and what that covers, including recalls and cooling system repairs. Alot of these have seen tremendous depreciation so it won't be a real issue here and will be a longish termer, I'd hope. I certainly won't be PCP'ing with balloon on a cheapo chariot like the lemmings up this way. Cash is king, as is a premium-ish badge. I don't mind Indy service and would take care of the niggly shit that often crops up on most of these. Brilliant history and evidence of the daft faults repaired is a Brucey bonus. I've been in research mode for several weeks and already know of quite alot of faults that are common with some of them, and which engines to seriously avoid.
Any experience driving these planks would be helpful...
We all like different things, which I've said before, and I do like reasonable quality. I'm not fussed on older dated MMI as the current stuff is a massive distraction. So I'd have to factor that in with the EVs. Mad? Of course, barking mad.
I'm wincing a bit regarding the BMWs so far, very much hit and miss with their module faults and i-Drive.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:20 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

My E92 was fairly manageable as a DIY but it was not a reliable motor. The mainstream chuggers are better tested imo so stay away from German "performance" (means chocolate shit we released after mild testing then ignored previous failures and carried on)

I have never owned a diesel. Dying/dead breed

BEV if you charge on the road (eg EQC) will be very expensive on fuel, tyres, brakes but otherwise cheap.

The e, for me, is the best BEV out there, weighs ok, goes ok but no use for your reqs

There is little Japanese that I know, maybe a lexus hybrid? Feck knows..

It won't be fun..dealers have really ****ed me off in our recent search, lazy, rude, crap 80s white gold sales tactics.

But from a car supermarket. Tell them to stick gap up their hoop.

Good luck

the CRV, not a driver's car but very comfy. Fits many dogs probably lol.. let find out, will be fun
Old 02-18-2024, 10:23 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Instead of F Type, an XK might be better for motorway cruising?
Old 02-18-2024, 11:03 PM

Not a massive lover of the XK I have to say, although would be better I guess. The looks are meh. The older XJ, now you're talking, but , they're well past it now and pretty terrible economy never mind upkeep. Soft spot for those armchair cars.
I know what you mean about car salesman, I was one once upon a time, and have every expectation I'll be hassled. But that's fine, I know how to keep them at arms length and I'm cool with wasting their time. The only bugbear is at times, dealers throw history away (to hide stuff, no doubt) - so private buying would be likely final destination unless there's a good deal to be had, WITH the history file included. You should see the file for my S2000.. I've got everything spent on it since day one. Down to the air fresheners almost!
Lexus, I have looked at - RC, it's sort of nearly there. Certainly different. Sewing machine performance though..LC is flipping fabulous looking thing but out of the question. Everything else from the brand is ghastly and beige. As are Honda, Toyota and the cheapo brands Vauxhall & Ford. Bizarrely I'd consider a Kia or Hyundai above those 2.
I'm after 4 doors, good looks with performance (the F type was just a possibility just on looks alone).
The German stuff from VAG are front runners - I know them well. Interior wise, nothing touches the Panny even on lowest options.
I quite looking forward to another mid life crisis
If only that e was bigger... (With a bigger battery)

The following users liked this post:
chrispayze (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 11:48 PM

I would avoid Korean ICE.. they have a bad rep and don't make owt but struggle buggy shit

Leccy is good but even a 3/5 series type thing is a heavy ****er not to mention expensive and still shedding value:

Get the price tracker extensions.. be useful in your search
Old 02-19-2024, 04:47 AM

Useful that, thank you

There's definitely some market movement on some of these, traders pushing their luck I have seen. But that's also to be expected on marque's. Another eyes wide open thing, not to mention issues & faults. There's no rush with this project...
​​​​​​Quite happy to look at these because they've already had the thick end of values dropping - but, for a reason.
looking to make an appointment by end of this month on something
Old 02-19-2024, 05:05 AM

As you narrow it down you'll get a good feel for prices, especially if you take your time. The price indicator on Auto trader is useful but not infallible. Those plugins are great (you might need Firefox for example as AT price tracker have been running ads and so banned by AT)

A lot of BEVs coming off the company leases and no market means opportunity but they are what they are. Chatting to a bloke with a BMW I something.. charges on the road are costing him so much that it's worse economy than a straight petrol

Old 02-19-2024, 09:12 AM

I feared that... The i stuff is slightly out of range anyway. Mate of mine has one, blindingly nippy and fairly well appointed inside. I'm not hugely loving the complex big glass MMI screen though - I'm such a luddite.
give me analogue dials anyday, although, still liking the s2000 LED display only because it's a throwback to the old F1 Mclaren .
First up will be the A7 I think.. followed by the Jag
Old 02-20-2024, 07:56 AM

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

The 2nd hand car market seems to be in a bit of flux, esp for EVs. Seems dealers don't want them, owners want rid of them, expensive to repair and v. expensive to insure. There is also an issue with unmeasureable battery lifetime status on 2nd hand EVs. Probably worth watching if you're in the market for a new car
. And the Polestar isn't made in Poland, it's made in China.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:03 AM

They are lower down the pecking order, I didn't want to say. If I'm in one for 5 years, probably worth peanuts and the battery will be fast fading. Not as many old Leafs knocking about now. Bean tin fodder now.
I also think that the 2035 ban on petrol & diesel may well be moved further. Diesels are generally cleaner than they were, with the help of dpf's and ad blue - of course, a little more upkeep (which I think the govt should invest in helping you pay to repair when/if they become faulty parts, providing you can show evidence of regular servicing).
Therefore I still think demand for diesels in 2030 will be there. Petrol has seen large jumps in orders compared to EV. The sensible segment can see future costs, not to mention they are very expensive to buy in the first place. We care about the planet, but we care about our wallets more right now.
Question - is the energy used to make Green cars, Green? How about the power they feed off- is that using only green energy? I suppose we'd expect it to, but in some part I think there are truths not being told - like buying power from abroad. Separate thread I guess, but worth the mention.
Personally I prefer a decent interior (plush comfy seats, door shuts, timeless style and no creaks) than a fancy MMI that is bizarrely resembling my iPad Pro. That's where I prefer the R & D to be spent. Yes, great for NAV, but my Oppo Find X5 Pro does is so well and I'm used to it. It also self updates, instead of playing to update an expensive NAV. We don't use our Q3 Nav at all.

Quick Reply: Luxo Barge search ..