Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Looking for Lotus advice

Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

ZZ,

Congrats!

Looks the mutt's. Orange or yellow - has to be one of those, I think.

Let us know how you get on with it...
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Good looking car.

I'm slowly warming to these.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Best do it before your bones go full pensioner
Old 01-21-2017, 11:50 PM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
Just leave your wallet at home.

They have a pile of 3 Elevens in at the minute as well, great looking things. Jamie said one client is already taking his to 460 as he went for the full race version with the sequential box!
I think my wallet has only just recovered since the last time I visited 6 years ago, although my Elise SC has only dropped a couple of grand max in price over that time so money well spent.

A 3 Eleven is just a bit too barking for me, I'm more interested in the Elise's grown up big brother.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Best do it before your bones go full pensioner
Probably true but I can't spare the cash at the moment anyway. I need a war chest for some development but if it pays off the sky's the limit. If it doesn't, back to the drawing board.

I like this (the car, not the fat bloke, as I like revs) apart from the counter-intuitive shift.

But I also like some classic Loti
Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
ZZ,

Congrats!

Looks the mutt's. Orange or yellow - has to be one of those, I think.

Let us know how you get on with it...
Thanks and will do!
This is planned to be a 'long term keeper'. But so was the last one...

I was enquiring about ordering one in red. However they had this coming in stock and offered a deal on it as a result. I wasn't 100% to start with on the colour, but now I'm really glad I plumped for it over the red to be honest.

Rob

Last edited by zzkamikazezz; 01-22-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Good looking car.

I'm slowly warming to these.
It was the '350' that did it for me. I think they got the looks just right, along with the weight loss and new shifter.
They had a 360 CUP in the show room in blue, that looked pretty damn special!

However I'm not a huge fan of the new 380 sport add ons, shiny carbon (I think they should have used matt lacquer) and bolt on looking wing and bits
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news ZZ.

They are a very hard habit to break, once you drive one.

I only popped on here speculatively and then see this update. I'm happy for you.

I've been on a little aesthetic project on mine over the weekend, I'll copy a little thread over when I get into work. You may be interested in it. Equally, you may think it a completely shit idea!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the pictures show up without a Lotus forum account.

I was inspired by the newly released pictures of the Lotus 380 Race from a few weeks ago. If you have a look around, you'll see the pics - it's a yellow, track only, computer render of the car. I liked what they had done with the roofline.

You may like this ZZ, you may feckin' hate it! I think it neatens things up top. It's a copy and paste of a mini tutorial I wrote for the Lotus forum on Saturday night so potentially a little Lotus centric.

What did I use for this little job?

EDIT: I have updated the list to help people to find the items required for this task. Please note, I didn't buy all of these things for this job as I have a lot of it already, but these items would certainly help you to carry this task out:

1. A standard/typical small socket set
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-0...ords=46+socket

2. A T40 security bit
Titan All-Purpose Screwdriver Bit Set 100 Pieces Screwdriver Bit Sets Screwfix.com

3. A sharp knife/scalpel
Forge Steel Lockback Knife & 6 Blades Knives Screwfix.com

4. A roll of 3m matte black vinyl wrap
3M Series 1080 Matte Black M12 Vinyl Car Wrap 250x152cm Scotchprint UK SELLER eBay

5. A roll of 3mm 'Wrapcut' cutting tape
WrapCut Pro - Filament Edge Cutting Tape For Vehicle Wrapping eBay

6. A heatgun or hairdryer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remington-D...ir+dryer+deals

7. Some detailing/masking tape
2 Rolls Of 3M 19mm x 50m CAR DETAILING 3434 Blue Masking Tape, eBay

8. A wrapper’s squeegee or a cloth covered credit card will do (it is Seloc after all)
Car Vinyl Wrap Applicator Soft Felt Edge Plastic Squeegee Tool scraper 3M Decal eBay

Note: Make sure the area to work on is clean, free from dust and wax. I would use some Fairy liquid (or equiv) washing up liquid and wash the relevent section down. I didn’t fancy using alcohol and have used the Fairy liquid trick to cut through wax on previous cars.

Warning: this mini tutorial discusses things in a very simple fashion and may annoy some of the more skilled types on here. I have written it in this way to help all including complete novices so there is no intent to offend the pros!

My car started out looking like this:

After seeing the new Lotus creation in glorious CGI, the 380 Race, I was inspired to wrap that central section. Infact, I’ve probably helped Lotus here, my pictures will show you what your car will look like, when you get around to building one

I first measured the required amount of 3m wrap with detailing tape (tape the length and breadth required on the car, remove from car and transpose to wrap):

Then I set about marking up the lines to cut, with Wrapcut cutting tape. You really need to do this whilst the roof is still in situ, so that you can get accurate lines and angles (Wrapcut is the white line you can see in the centre):

Once this is marked out (make sure you have left adequate overhang for the Wrapcut tape) and ensure you have it oriented in the correct direction, start removing the roof with the T40 bit:

Once the roof is off, line up the cut vinyl wrap and start plucking up courage to pull back the cover and expose the sticky bit. Start to lay it down, as so:

Using the covered credit card, get rid of all of the bubbles, work it slowly, matte wrap is delicate. It will start to lay down very nicely and neatly:

Once you have it all laid down, go over it with a heatgun/hairdryer. This will expose more bubbles, get rid of them. The heat will also help to cure it down to the body.

When this is all neat and complete, you need to start to cut the section out which is over the engine cover. Run the blade on the outer of the engine cover plastic. Don’t worry, you can’t damage anything if you are careful. You will use the line of the engine cover as a template to cut. This will provide for adequate overhang to tuck down in the gap (once heated). Cut all of the engine cover vinyl away:

This is getting close now! Heat down the remaining parts, use mild heat on curves, tuck it all down and make a nice neat job. Get ready for the wonder of Wrapcut.

Check over all of the areas, make sure all of the bubbles are gone and you don’t have any creases. Now get the end of the Wrapcut tape you put down earlier on in this tutorial and using the blade, nick it back at the edge and pull out the cutting cord. Use a sharp tug and watch how it cuts your exact line through the wrap. It is excellent stuff. Pricey but excellent – and not as costly as a scalpel damaged fiberglass tub!

You are now almost done. Have another final check, quick go over with the hairdryer, concentrate on the edges, get it all nice and neat then stand back and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Have a beer. I would have had a beer but I currently have manflu. Put the roof back on, screw it all back in and there you have it. A mini Race 350 effect type thing:

The wrap you will require will cost about £40. I bought £80 worth, luckily, as I had considered another way of going about this first, that way was unsuccessful, so learn from my first £40 loss and if you are going to do it, follow the tips above. I am happy to help anyone that wants a hand with this.

And the best bit? If you get bored, just get out the hairdryer and pull it all off. Back to stock
Old 01-23-2017, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Great news ZZ.

They are a very hard habit to break, once you drive one.

I only popped on here speculatively and then see this update. I'm happy for you.

I've been on a little aesthetic project on mine over the weekend, I'll copy a little thread over when I get into work. You may be interested in it. Equally, you may think it a completely shit idea!
Thanks, I saw your post on SELOC! It looks spot on, I might have a look at it for mine. How does the wrap match up with the roof? It looks pretty much a perfect match.

I'm k20Rob on there. Only I no longer have the k20, I should have thought that through more.

Quick Reply: Looking for Lotus advice