Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Looking for Lotus advice

Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky it's not pissing down, it's stair rods here mate.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

I'll chuck you 20 large for it
Old 07-26-2014, 02:35 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If it's any reassurance, my first one had zero issues after 18 months hard abuse and the 2nd only had a dodgy door catch.

Wonder if it's something that's been modified?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's down to the fact it's been a bit of a garage Queen that is now getting some nightly workouts. Tbh, it's a radiator that's split, I'm just going to get it sorted and not let it get me down too much. I've just got back home, the low loader was immense. The whole back of the thing lowered and the car was winched on flat, then lifted up. Pretty stunning piece of kit.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I'll chuck you 20 large for it
I reckon I'll spend that this month on coolant
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I think it's down to the fact it's been a bit of a garage Queen that is now getting some nightly workouts. Tbh, it's a radiator that's split, I'm just going to get it sorted and not let it get me down too much. I've just got back home, the low loader was immense. The whole back of the thing lowered and the car was winched on flat, then lifted up. Pretty stunning piece of kit.
I am glad you got it back ok, after seeing it on Wednesday and hearing it go by (twice !!!!)it really sounded great I feel sorry for you.

I know it doesn't help but just so you know that you haven't been targeted ! I, too, have split a rad, yesterday, Saturday, and so now the GT6 cooling system is in bits on the garage floor

I know just how you feel... hope you get it sorted soon...
Old 07-26-2014, 11:06 PM

Shared pain

I got home at 12:30, the car is in one piece as the low loader was ultra modern. One worry over.

What is so feckin annoying is that it sounded amazing last night, as if the temps had cooled in the air just enough and it was really barking out orders. Then the rad decided to explode

So I'm starting to strip it now. Decided I'm going to buy a slimline trolley jack as I'm sick of all the pissing about with my old halfords special.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 PM

The bit that worries me the most with the job is making sure that its all bled. I haven't got a feckin clue. Obviously clam removal is the first issue but thats all screws. Getting coolant in reqs some tech knowledge, which I lack
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
Shared pain

I got home at 12:30, the car is in one piece as the low loader was ultra modern. One worry over.

What is so feckin annoying is that it sounded amazing last night, as if the temps had cooled in the air just enough and it was really barking out orders. Then the rad decided to explode

So I'm starting to strip it now. Decided I'm going to buy a slimline trolley jack as I'm sick of all the pissing about with my old halfords special.

At least you got back ok without doing any more damage The temperatures over this last few days have certainly stretched the cooling aspects of a lot of cars, I bet !
Anything that is remotely marginal will have had a problem

I think I have found my problem, loads of crud in the system, despite pressure cleaning it two years ago and two total fluid replacements as well its still pumping sh t out .
Maybe its the same with yours having sat, as you say, a garage queen in a previous life. My GT sat for a few years too before I acquired it as a project.

Re trolley jacks I have got three now a Halfords special bought a lot of years ago and two Sealeys, one a low entry version for the low cars, its excellent
Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 655 Likes on 570 Posts

They bleed themselves. If you're worried get a funnel which you can sit in the reservoir to provide some head to it

You'll know if something is wrong if it doesnt start to heat quickly but ime it'll just bubble the air out

Its no consolation at all but my BM has been like a nuke reactor this week, even short journeys and you can actually feel the heat coming off the car so i guess its just a less than perfect part

Quick Reply: Looking for Lotus advice