Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Looking for Lotus advice

Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Nah, you'll be out 'til Sunday!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Collecting an induction kit tomorrow. Coupled with exhaust app gives 6-8 extra bhp :-P although not convinced
Old 11-02-2013, 01:03 AM

HAve you got it yet Ikobo?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have indeed mate, only managed a couple of hours of fun taking brother and friends out for............ummm................'spirited' passenger rides before it started tipping it down though and it's now tucked up in the garage. I'm positive I can feel the bad weather passing though! Stopped and took a couple of quick pics, will get some proper ones if the weather ever comes good -

Bit blurry as I was 'effing freezing. Will do a little write up in a bit, haven't even had breakfast yet I was so excited to get it!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks really mean in that weather.

Remember to switch the lights on every time; it's 100% camouflaged!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:26 AM

Looks bloody lovely. LEAVE IN GARAGE AND KEEP THE TOE LIGHT in this weather! DANGER DANGER!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM

Ok, that's pretty much six hours of jumping in and out for "Just one more little drive........." and I've now retired it for the evening.

Where can I start? Everything Chesh has been saying about his Elise that was getting me all wound up about becoming a Lotus owner, I'm delighted to say I understand every single bit of what he was getting at. I won't lie, a few times this week I've said to myself "Is this really a sensible choice, buying this kind of car, at this time of year, and in this financial climate?". Well, someone else will have to give their opinion on that because walking toward the car outside Murray Lotus, I just knew I'd made the right choice when I saw it sitting there proudly waiting for me to collect it, big chunk of my savings gone or not. I couldn't get out of the dealership quick enough mind you, when the salesman (who's been an absolute star) asked me if I wanted all the sat nav etc explaining I just said no. I knew if I was lucky I'd have an hour or two before the heavy rain came, and I certainly wasn't wasting them pissing about with a car hi-fi.

So first thing was to hoof it back from Edinburgh to Fife and take my brother out for a spin before he went off to the footy. On the journey to pick him up, I've realised I already have to completely change my driving mindset with the Evora, acceleration of the car is just mental. Like, seriously mental. I've owned what I think you could safely call some quick cars in the past, but this thing is just a rocket and definitely the quickest thing I've ever personally owned. This was hammered home after I picked my brother up and heading out for a blast. The thing is, you're just enjoying running through the gears so much and it's all happening so quickly, that when you look down at the speedo it tends to be followed by a sentence like "F***ing hell, we're doing XXX!!!!!!!". The way the car carries itself through bends just inspires masses of confidence. I don't know what it's limits are, and in no way am I a good enough driver to find out, but it feels amazing.

As for the car itself, make no bones about it, some of the negative things that have been said about it are spot on. The interior in parts feels poorly put together, particularly the carpeting which doesn't seem to sit quite right in a few places. I've driven all day with the stereo off just listening to the car, and it does give you regular mechanical sounding clunks and bangs to keep you entertained. The gearbox feels pretty much like most Lotus cars I've driven including the Exige/Elise, clunky noises abound when changing gear, though that said all the changes are nice and smooth. I've certainly had no issues with it in any type of driving, whether it be sitting in traffic or whipping around country roads. I did notice in the cars history that at one point it had some work done on it though. For me personally, I love the interior layout apart from one silly thing, the indicator stalk seems just too far back from the wheel for fingertip indications which just feels plain weird. Other than that it's almost as simplistic as an S2000, which was always one of my favourite things about the Honda. I really am sick of getting in cars that have more buttons than my laptop. Oddly after going through the car history I found the car has had some extras retrofitted that Lotus didn't even mention (like powerfold mirrors) which I'm thinking that because they supplied it new they just just listed it as their initial sale spec. Rear camera is a definite winner, the rear window is definitely just a token effort though serves its purpose for general driving. The ridiculous thing about the car, and the one that seems most confusing, is just how nicely it rides. Surely cars of this level of performance aren't meant to be this comfy while still managing to communicate every little thing that's happening with the road you're on? Hugely impressive.

Not having driven a standard Evora I have no idea how much of a performance hike the S feels to drive, but it's an intoxicating thing that just feels perfect in oh so many ways, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one. I've had people waving at me and stuff, with kids shouting for me to rev the engine which has been quite funny. Also, people seem to want to let me out at junctions etc just so they can get a better look at it, quite a surprising attitude. It feels special, and I love what Nick said about it being a leftfield flick of the V's to the general sportscars on the road, seems spot on. I work away from home during the week in York these days, with the Saab doing all the donkey work driving there and back. This week though, I think I'll be making the trip in something just a little more special.............

Happy. Very happy.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice writeup

After I sold my GT3 I was advised to go and try one of these by MB

Maybe he was right.....

Chris.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM

Great news.

Firstly, the chunk of cash that just went will be forgotten in 2-3 months. That is how it is. But you'll still have the car. And, don't see it as 40k, see it as the depreciation (which will be low on that) and thus you have taken savings out of one thing and placed them into something more interesting. For me, I never think I am spending 20 or 30, I see it at 5 only.

As for the car, the S is a large hike on the std. If you watch that megafactories video about the evora which I posted last week, it explains a little about that.

Absolutely lovely car. I will have a lotus of some sort, whilst able to afford, for good I expect. I have been very taken by this brand. Will certainly end up in an exige I expect. V6 if life is kind to me

Enjoy that car. Fingers crossed its dry tomorrow. Its pissed it down here all day and I wanted to go for a run.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM

That's a brilliant way to look at it mate, I'd never really considered it like that. A lot of the purchase anxiety faded due to the amount of enthusiasm you've shown over yours, especially since we both seemed to be searching for that 'magic' something and failing to find it in other highly recommended drivers cars. Everyone I've taken out in mine today has stepped out of it afterwards buzzing, they really are something a bit special. I probably owe you a pint for guiding the way.

Quick Reply: Looking for Lotus advice