Originally Posted by s2k_Nut,Jun 26 2008, 04:30 PM
What you really mean is you hope he does,
No, If I wanted to say it, I would

I am English after all.

More driving and less talking would be my top tip for LH
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LTB,Jun 25 2008, 02:57 PM
Agreed, but how do you explain his performances against Alonso last season ?
Personally I don't think Alonso is as good as other people think and that is why Hamilton looked so good. If he was in the same car as Schumacher, Raikkonen and Hakkinen I'm sure it would have been a different story. I reckon Nigel Mansell would still be able to equal or beat Lewis Hamilton over a few laps.

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jun 26 2008, 01:53 AM
He wasn't lucky. He tested the McLaren, along with Gary Paffit and Pedro de La Rosa, and Ron & co. made a decision on who was the best driver at their disposal, and it looks like they chose right. McLaren weren't stuck for choice; every driver (with the possible exception of Massa and Raikonnen) would have wanted that seat.

And McLaren weren't the dominant team. In case you've forgotten, Ferrari won both championships.
By lucky I am talking about the car not the fact that he was chosen. In F1 there are two dominant teams, Mclaren and Ferrari and you are lucky if your first season in F1 is in one of these cars. Also, Mclaren were the dominant team last year and it wasn't until the latter part of the season that Raikkonen caught up and this was only due to mistakes by Lewis Hamilton and the Mclaren team. Don't forget Ferrari were handed the constructors championship by the FIA.

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Jun 26 2008, 05:36 AM
Just remember that the Stig managed a Liana lap in 1m 44 in the dry.

Lewis managed a lap of 1m 44 in the wet.

The stig has been round there hundreds if not thousands of times.

Lewis hasn't.

If you believe that Lewis actually did that time, you seriously need your reasoning skill checking.
It looks like you misunderstood my post because at no point did I mention that I was impressed by LH's lap. I was trying to imply that I believe Mark Webber is a very good driver and it would be nice to see how good HE is when he has a capable car underneath him. I think he did a 1m 46s in horrendous wet conditions which was far more impressive than LH's lap in dubiously slippery conditions.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtman,Jun 26 2008, 09:47 PM
I reckon Nigel Mansell would still be able to equal or beat Lewis Hamilton over a few laps.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=gaddafi,Jun 23 2008, 07:56 PM]not a chance
Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by silverskin,Jun 27 2008, 08:36 AM

Pesonally I reckon he will end up winning 2 maybe 3 if he stays in a competitive car, then he'll quit to do something else.
PR consultant?

I think there's a good chance he won't win a championship at all

I think it's likely he'll end up like Button

There are a lot of good, cheaper drivers out there, other teams are improving and Ferrari are looking strong

The Lewis Hamilton 'brand' is looking a little dodgy lately, which will reduce his appeal to teams like Ferrari

I suspect his best chance went last year, but we shall see
Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah, I think he's had his best chance but he will be there-or-thereabouts for the next few years at least.

Who knows if he'll win a championship but he'll be fighting for one for the next few years.

Renault, Toyota and BMW are all closing the gap though so maybe the competition will be even greater.

It's a tough old game
Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtman,Jun 26 2008, 09:47 PM
By lucky I am talking about the car not the fact that he was chosen. In F1 there are two dominant teams, Mclaren and Ferrari and you are lucky if your first season in F1 is in one of these cars.
And I'm saying it's nothing to do with luck. Senna recognised that getting yourself into the best car was just as important skill as being able to drive, and Hamilton famously approached Ron Dennis back when he was a precocious brat. It's not luck that he ended up in one of the top teams, he singled out McLaren as very likely to be one of the top teams in the years to come and went for that goal. Arrogant yes, but ultimately successful.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Horza,Jun 27 2008, 08:51 AM

Who knows if he'll win a championship but he'll be fighting for one for the next few years.
If, as seems likely, he remains in a Mclaren, then I couldn't disagree

But finishing second or third for four or five years won't do much for his reputation either
Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 AM

Yep, just like DC

I believe he will stick at McLaren until they bin him. No idea when that will be but I presume it will depend entirely on his success.

Better to shine in a shit car than be mediocre in a god one. Again, DC, Fizzy, Ralf, HHF....They all got found out.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Horza,Jun 27 2008, 09:23 AM
Again, DC,
Maybe, but I think DC is driving the best he ever has ATM!

Like gtman says, Webber is a bloody good driver.

Red Bull do seem to be mostly unlucky with the rub of the green.

Best of the privateers though.

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton