Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Lewis Hamilton

Old 06-23-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway this thread is supposed to be about Hamilton, it's title is shocking though. We all know what we are supposed to be discussing here, whether or not Hamilton is going to be a great or not.

Personally I think he is a natural talent, he is very young and prone to making mistakes on (and off) the track. Is he the next Schu Senna Prost / delete as appropriate, well I think he has the right characteristics for it, it would appear he has the driving talent, certainly has the ego, and it looks like he might have the team (if we can keep a level playing field) - so yes I think barring anything catastrophic he could be a multi world champion, and maybe one of the greats - some of his drives are stunning.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Type-R's post from France F1 thread refrenced from Stevange local rag
Hamilton feels drive-through penalty was harsh
12:32 - 23 June 2008

LEWIS Hamilton feels he was harshly penalised by stewards at yesterday's French Grand Prix.

The 23-year-old Herts hero was handed a drive-through penalty at Magny-Cours for missing the apex of turn seven on the opening lap.

Hamilton received the punishment that ultimately stopped him challenging for a podium position following a move on Sebastian Vettel approaching the corner.

He overtook the German Toro Rosso driver but then ran wide and was deemed to have gained an advantage.

Having climbed into ninth place, Hamilton dropped down to 13th after coming in for the penalty and that ruined his hopes of any points.

"My drive-through penalty was an extremely close call," said Hamilton.

"I felt I'd got past Vettel fairly and was ahead going into the corner.

"But I was on the outside and couldn't turn-in in case we both crashed.

"Then I lost the back-end and drove over the kerb.

"But, after that, I got my head down and pushed hard until the end of the race."

The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver had already been demoted down to 13th on the start line due to the 10-place grid penalty he received at the Canadian Grand Prix for smashing into the back of Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari in the pit lane.

The Tewin race ace eventually finished the French race in 10th place as Ferrari's Felipe Massa took the chequered flag and the overall lead in the Drivers' World Championship.

Hamilton is now fourth in the drivers' rankings, 10 points behind Massa, as the F1 circus heads to Silverstone next month for the British Grand Prix.
Originally Posted by The bit i'm interested in
"My drive-through penalty was an extremely close call," said Hamilton.

"I felt I'd got past Vettel fairly and was ahead going into the corner.

"But I was on the outside and couldn't turn-in in case we both crashed.

"Then I lost the back-end and drove over the kerb.

"But, after that, I got my head down and pushed hard until the end of the race."
[QUOTE=What Lewis should have said]
"I was desperate to make up for lost places and was pushing hard"

"I overtook Vettel.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:31 PM

What's wrong with the thread title Nut? I think the ridiculous tilte conveys the situation well enough-for one man to divide public opinion in such a way is, frankly, ridiculous

On another note, I really don't think you can compare the talent of todays(or the modern eras) drivers with that of the likes of JYS.

For a start, most of us never saw JYS racing.

The most important factor is this: mentality. JYS and his generation saw their friends killed in horrible ways on a race-by-race basis. They knew a mistake could quite possibly cost them their lives.

Do you think Schumi and Senna would have pulled some of the tricks they did had they been in 1960s cars?

It's one thing pushing yourself and the car to the very limit knowing that you'll probably be okay if it all goes tits. It's entirely different pushing when the car you're in is a death trap.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

That's my point. Quite often you didn't even have to make a mistake to die either. The margin for error was miniscule, and the consequences for it were usually harrowing.

To win multiple world championships during that era is the mark of something very special.

Anyhow, Hamilton's a c0ck.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Jun 24 2008, 10:13 AM
That's my point. Quite often you didn't even have to make a mistake to die either. The margin for error was miniscule, and the consequences for it were usually harrowing.

To win multiple world championships during that era is the mark of something very special.
Maybe, but in a lot of ways the cars were easier to drive. One thing I don't like about the recent crop of drivers is the way they're all fitness freaks, because they have to be. The heavy drinking, heavy smoking playboy driver of old just wouldn't be fit enough to cope with the modern F1 cars with modern levels of downforce and cornering forces.

And I suspect the modern drivers are driving consistenly closer to the limits than the drivers of old, and not just because of the relative safety they now have.

A bit of nostalgia is good (though not as good as it used to be), but I'd bet that if you could have a fair competition between Hamilton, Alonso and Raikonnen and the likes of Graham Hill, JYS and Jim Clark, the modern drivers would run rings around the old timers.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 AM

In which cars?

I think the new boys would struggle in a skinny little Lotus 38 as much as the old boys would struggle in a modern car.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Horza,Jun 24 2008, 10:50 AM
In which cars?

I think the new boys would struggle in a skinny little Lotus 38 as much as the old boys would struggle in a modern car.
I don't think so. I think the new boys would be better even in an old car. The racers of old were enthusiastic amateurs who fancied a go; the new guys are almost bred to be racing drivers (and in the case of Kimi Raikonnen you have to wonder if he was made in a test tube after having all trace of personality removed).

Like all modern sportsmen they've been perfecting their craft since a very young age. No ordinary person has a chance.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 AM

I take your point Dembo.

But, what about changing gear? Heel-an-toeing? Pitching the car into beautifully controlled four-wheel drifts?

You're probably right and I doubt if the old boys could ever get their heads around the aerodynamic grip of a modern car(like Valentino Rossi) but I'd love to see just how close it would be.

As for the fitness thing, Moss was really the first driver to really concentrate on fitness and lifestyle side of things. They weren't as fit as today but they just didn't have to be. There were probably only a few real playboys in the paddock(Hawthorn) but I suppose history marks them all down as party animals
Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Sir Jackie, a big Lewis fan let's not forget, speaks:

"Lewis is already world famous, thanks to the amazing opportunity he was given last year, and the incredible skill with which he took advantage of it," Stewart said.

"He's now experiencing both the privilege and the penalty of celebrity. He's excited the media so much, and now some people are starting to feel let down. But we should remember that Lewis has only been in F1 for 15 months. He's not the finished article yet - and it's wrong to think he should be.

"He might not like to hear this, but he has a fundamental lack of experience at the top of the sport. If he asked for my advice, I'd say, 'Take your time, and don't expect too much of yourself'.

"I know because I've been there myself. I had a big accident in my second year, which I was lucky to survive. Over the next

few years I changed: I gained experience, which gave me knowledge, which in turn enabled me to deliver."
Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by san2000,Jun 23 2008, 06:39 PM
They have one similarity.

Button's Dad also damaged a supercar. An NSX in his case.
He damaged a car you mean

The NSX isn't a supercar

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton