Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

LCDs with everything

Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Originally Posted by unclefester' timestamp='1394535907' post='23056606
No - you just disconnect it and reconnect the new one - the panel isn't where the intelligence sits. This is just like replacing one computer screen for another one.
Not necessarily. With phones, they're building the display control directly into the same SOC (System on a Chip) that does the CPU, GPU, RAM and everything else, so this sort of thing could be one ready assembled unit with display and system all stuck together in a box. And that means the dealer will just have one part number for the whole thing, and charge a fortune for a new one if there's any fault (like with VSA).
Pain in the arse if they do - its one of the reasons i always preferred a seperates HIFI system - you only change the part that fails. This will be yet another way to fleece you blind no doubt ..... and LCD does dim beautifully over time - can you imagine the problems with buying 2nd hand out of warranty!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester
Pain in the arse if they do - its one of the reasons i always preferred a seperates HIFI system - you only change the part that fails. This will be yet another way to fleece you blind no doubt ..... and LCD does dim beautifully over time - can you imagine the problems with buying 2nd hand out of warranty!
It's the cold cathode tubes which dim over time.

The LED backlights, with/without IPS, don't suffer from this. I would be confident it is LED backlights fitted to car LCD displays as they are cheaper and less complicated than cold cathode systems.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattlad
Originally Posted by Polemicist' timestamp='1394524230' post='23056520

Compared to traditional 'analogue' instruments I suspect these LCD displays are very inexpensive to manufacture.
I think that you are correct about the manufacturing costs.

However when the stealer diagnoses that you need a new one I bet the price will make your eyes water. Then you have to get the new one programmed in (on top of getting it physically fitted..........)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Naturally! I remember when DVI LCD monitors arrived and you have to pay a premium for them over the DSub connector version. DVI had no need for an ADC so had less tech and cheaper to make, yet they were a good 15% more expensive!

Standard really.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine the hacker community that is about to explode onto this. I saw the TT dash a month or so ago and the first thing I thought was, NEW SKINS!

Get a skinning prog going and we can create our own look and feel
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite. 1960's Austin 1100 speedometer would be rather nice...

Old 03-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Compared to the migraine in that Audi, yes! All style & no ergonomic sense.

Ditto touch-screen controls are cheaper than knobs & wires. Only fly there is people have those, because it all gets a bit 'Push the Tempo' on a bumpy road. Thus Ford is reverting to trad. knobs.

I suppose the other advantage is you can always rip one out of a Tesla as a momento, just before it gets consumed in the conflagration...
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Thhhaannnnkkkk yoououuuuu ffffooorrrr selectttting Raaaadiooo FFFFFFFour as youurr prrimarrry stattionnn offffff chooiceee.

Or something like that.

Voice activated / gesture control is what is needed and something that can be fully customised - touch screen phones are hard enough to use even on a well mounted cradle.

Appradio is getting there and some of the DashCommand type apps are pretty good, I'm not sure i'd want that AUDI display right in my line of sight though.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
Thhhaannnnkkkk yoououuuuu ffffooorrrr selectttting Raaaadiooo FFFFFFFour as youurr prrimarrry stattionnn offffff chooiceee.

Or something like that.

Voice activated / gesture control is what is needed and something that can be fully customised - touch screen phones are hard enough to use even on a well mounted cradle.

Appradio is getting there and some of the DashCommand type apps are pretty good, I'm not sure i'd want that AUDI display right in my line of sight though.

My current voice activation system: typical scenario, me on phone : 'Ok Google - navigate to Blakemere, Ellesmere' 'NAVIGATING TO BLACK LOCK, WEST VIRGINIA'

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wonder what they will be like to read in bright sunlight.

I run a PC and touch LCD screen in my s2000 when I get chance to dump the serial format from the ecu I'll have something but more like what an r35 gtr displays but also for the media side if things too.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Voice activated bollocks!

Whatever I say, it turns the fucking air conditioning off.

A client's Legend does the same, and he has a Basildon accent.

Maybe I should try a mildly racist one.

Quick Reply: LCDs with everything