Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Kraut Wagons

Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 AM
ge2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kraut Wagons

I'm still very happy with my Legacy and I'm in no rush to change it but it's not going to last forever (even though it feels like it will).

I've been thinking about what I'm going to replace it with and because of the use it's been getting I'm starting to hanker for something maybe not so sporting but more comfortable and, I use the term loosely, upmarket.

I've never had German car and just fancy giving it a whirl.

I'm current doing about 15k a year, mainly motorway miles, about 3k of those towing. There's likely to be an increase in the latter going forward.

One of the problems I face is not being able to predict my mileage - I could end up working in the city for a year and only do 6k total.

I'm after thoughts, suggestions and even being talked out of it altogether.

Some guidelines:

- Estate
- Auto
- Biggish engine, 3.0+, 6+ cylinders, torquey and lazy
- Petrol (will consider a diesel but the savings will have to be HUGE, so good luck there).
- Mpg in the 20s most of the time.
- Ms, RSs and AMGs are out - too expensive to buy and run.
- No 4X4s.
- Not FWD, maybe irrational but I don't like the idea of it for this particular car.
- Must be utterly reliable.
- Toys. Lots of toys.

If I go this route I'd be looking at cars under a year old and for the first time in my life might even go for a new one although this is very unlikely.

The current favourite is the Merc C class, in black, had a good look at and sat in one recently, lovely

Also the BMW 335i, although I'm a bit worried about towing with that engine and the boot space, off to the dealers this morning to find out.

BMW 530i if the 3 series isn't big enough.

Not so keen on Audis, but if there's one that fits the bill....

I reserve the right to come to my senses and decide run the scooby into the ground and buy another for 10k, at any time
Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 AM

5 Series Tourer, I'd probably go for a 540 but I'm not renowned for my car sense.
A6 Estate would do it but the 5 is probably a better car. Your probably not old enough for an E class.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:18 AM

No scrub that they do a 550
This one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...65242&logcode=p

or this one:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...16502&logcode=p
Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

550i is a good shout if depreciation isn't a big issue

if it is, I think it will halve in value again over the next three years (or less)
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 AM
ge2

A 550i would be perfect if I could guarantee low work mileage but I can't and it's very unlikely to go that way

I'm not overly worried about depreciation but that's getting a little steep.

Anyway, just back from the dealers, the 3 series is big enough, just.

Taking into account salesman speak, there's not enough of a difference between 330i and 335i running costs to make that choice difficult. No problem with the towing either.

We also established that no-one buys 335i estates. Not one on the used network at the moment. Not a problem though, I could wait.

Unsurprisingly, the conversation got round to the M3 beating 335d

The salesmen did mention the famous 50-70 time, but to be fair he did admit that it's not going to compare to the petrol when it comes to the drive

But, despite what I said earlier, I can't help thinking that for the intended use, it might make some sense. That grunt with an auto box has some appeal.

They're getting a 335d Coupe in soon so they're going to let me drive it, even if it's just to rule that engine out.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Try a 5 series BMW 525d or 530d, had one on loan recently, great car for every day use, the auto box was a bit slow witted, I can see why there are so popular though

Larger diesel engines are pretty good these days; you get good Torque and MPG, I’d have one over the same petrol engine any day
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 AM

I know you said you weren't overly keen on audi's and you don't want 4 wheel drive, but you should at least consider the new s4 avant. The 3 litre supercharged engine is pretty awesome with reasonable economy and it would be good with the 7 speed dual clutch s-tronic box. Also, if you shop around you can get 10% discounts on them new. The interiors are nice and they don't look too bad.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 AM

Just as an example my local dealer had this one in yesterday.

http://www.bowkerblackburnbmw.co.uk/usedbm...ANS72030CR56431

From what I've read the 3's don't offer much room inside.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 AM

How long are you planning to keep it for?

Why are you not worried about depreciation?

Why < 1 yr old/new?

I've asked these because I'm struggling to understand your guidelines as they stand.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
ge2

Originally Posted by Disorderly,Oct 4 2009, 10:28 AM
I know you said you weren't overly keen on audi's and you don't want 4 wheel drive, but you should at least consider the new s4 avant. The 3 litre supercharged engine is pretty awesome with reasonable economy and it would be good with the 7 speed dual clutch s-tronic box. Also, if you shop around you can get 10% discounts on them new. The interiors are nice and they don't look too bad.
I do like the sound of those actually, any idea of servicing costs?

4WD would be my first choice, it's just the transit van driving position 4X4s I don't like.

Quick Reply: Kraut Wagons