Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Just witnessed a rather nasty accident

Old 08-14-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I helped some berk push his car out of a field the other day. But then I was a bit lost and needed directions, so I had to really

I've not actually witnessed anything serious - I'm certain I'd stop, but I've no idea how I'd react to serious injury or death. Hopefully I'll never find out.

I was certainly appreciative of the guy who ran over the road to offer his services as an independent witness when I got pranged. Made the whole insurance process a lot easier. In fact...I should send him a case of beer I think.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I helped someone on Arran ...
Old 08-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Good on ya, Rahula
Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM

I stopped a few months ago when a biker hit the car in front of me, and I would do it again. It was a pain having to fill in pages of forms but I'm sure it helped out the people involved. If I had an accident I'd want witnesses to stop.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM

I always thought most people stopped, but it's pretty shocking what John57 is saying.

I can't think of anything in the law that is stacked against people stopping - I know medics are concerned in that they have a higher duty of care if they make a mistake in these circumstances, but they are generally covered for these sorts of incidents through their MDU (at least my parents both are), and would always stop anyway.

I have only once witnessed anything more than a mild fender bender - by the time I had parked up and got to the scene, there were a dozen other drivers there who had also stopped and offered to help.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Aug 14 2006, 09:31 PM
I helped someone on Arran ...
Well...tried to. Until it transpired she didn't have a wheel brace as I recall
Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamb,Aug 14 2006, 09:47 PM
Well...tried to. Until it transpired she didn't have a wheel brace as I recall
I was using my superstrong fingers and improvising and then you lot drove past ...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 14 2006, 09:45 PM
I know medics are concerned in that they have a higher duty of care if they make a mistake in these circumstances, but they are generally covered for these sorts of incidents through their MDU
You are right, either the MDU or MPS (medical defence - indemnity companies) would cover us in that situation.

I've only had to stop once, and the people were not badly injured. I can't understand how some people can completely ignore a big accident or someone falling etc and just walk past as if nothing had happened
Old 08-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by euan,Aug 14 2006, 09:45 PM
I always thought most people stopped, but it's pretty shocking what John57 is saying.
It is strange but I have witnessed three accidents and not once did anyone stop.

In fact, the accident I was involved in meant a nosy nobody came to the scene of the accident to take charge. He had been standing on the opposite side of a DC, in the dark and about 400 yds away. My accident meant both lanes of the DC were closed and I suggested we move the three cars from the outside lane to the inside as we were there during rush hour and with a huge tailback. This pillock thought he knew better and told everyone not to move their cars even though we had verified that no one in the three cars was injured.

The first thing the police did when they arrived was to verify no one was injured and then move the cars to the left to allow the traffic past.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:55 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by S2rr Kitty,Aug 14 2006, 09:06 PM
This is not entirely true, I stopped when I witnessed a serious accident last year and a minor accident earlier this year.... I was physically unable to go down to the vehicle after realising there was a person's head sitting in the carriageway, it was all I could do to not pass out with shock - but some people did go and check the vehicle and assist the only survivor to get out of the wreckage... probably beyond what most would be able to do given the scene.

Rahula, you did the right thing and I like to think *most* people would do this & the people who just pass by are in the minority.
This is often my worry, not sure how one would react in that instance. I imagine that would stay with you for life! Not that you wouldnt want to help, but I can quite see how you wouldbe unable.

With the people falling down in the street, it depends on the circumstance. I think myself pretty streetwise, so you have to weigh it up. Some basts use this tactic to rob you, or have someone else waiting by. Sad but true. How many give the time in the street if asked? I dont anymore. Its another old trick. If its an elderly person or the circumstances dont seem dodgy then maybe get involved.

I recall someone being stabbed and killed lately for intervening in a domestic on a train

Off on a tangent, but in the case of this accident I would have stopped.

MB

Quick Reply: Just witnessed a rather nasty accident