Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Just witnessed a rather nasty accident

Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just witnessed a rather nasty accident

I was around the corner from the house and was approaching a junction. From the opposite direction was coming a white car that had stopped at the give way and then driven across the road. Just as he was finishing crossing the road an Audi travelling from the right hit him on the rear panel pretty hard and swung the white car around with a lot of force.

To me it seemed the Audi driver never even saw the car crossing the road. He didn't swerve or brake hard at all, he drove straight into the side of him but a difficult judgement to make as my vision was obscured to the right by very tall hedges.

The worst bit is that not one other car stopped to give details as witnesses or check that the drivers and passenger were OK. The cars behind the white car at the junction saw exactly what happened yet not one of them were concerned enough to stop. WTF.

I stopped to make sure they were OK and once that was verified I gave them both my name and phone number as a witness. This world is going to implode from such uncaring behaviour as I witnessed today.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Hope everyone was ok.
At least you stopped.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 AM

If it wasn't for the fact someone on this forum just happened to witness my accident last year, I wouldn't have a witness either - at a major huge junction !
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People don't stop at accidents any more ...... no matter how serious.

All my job involves is going to big accidents - and having seen the tyre tread marks through a motorcyclists blood in the middle of the road a few months ago nothing surprises me any more !

The bloke was lying there with blood pouring out of him and the only people who stopped were two off duty police officers and an off duty paramedic.

The image of the tread marks though his blood (and there were alot!) will live with me a long time - and I see some horrible things in my job ..... it just really showed me how little people care these days.

And yes, he did die .....

Sorry to post this but as you can probably appreciate I don't like people who don't stop !
Old 08-14-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The way the law seems to stack up against the good guys, you can understand why people want to stay out of things.

I would always stop - but then thats the way I am. Only on Sunday I stopped to help a driver AND they had a soft top Merc! (You have to make exceptions )
Old 08-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think you need apologise for posting that, John.

It IS unforgiveable behaviour.

I always thought one helped a man who was down.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

Apathy has taken over, I'm afraid. Things can only get worse. Look who was re-elected back into power, after all their sins FFS.

Mainly because no one could be bothered displaying their distain for the current outfit. They just assume their vote is worthless and don't bother.

People fall in the street and others will happily walk past without a second thought.

It's not until you illustrate how much of a useless cvnt they are that they bother to come alive. They do not like having their flaws pointed out (like their driving or their kids), but are quite happy to do nothing about fixing them.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 AM

That's horrible John - you don't need to apologise for that, it's just amazing (although sadly not unbelieveable) that it happened
Old 08-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

good for you Rahul

someone has some standards
Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by John57,Aug 14 2006, 08:33 PM
People don't stop at accidents any more ...... no matter how serious.
This is not entirely true, I stopped when I witnessed a serious accident last year and a minor accident earlier this year.... I was physically unable to go down to the vehicle after realising there was a person's head sitting in the carriageway, it was all I could do to not pass out with shock - but some people did go and check the vehicle and assist the only survivor to get out of the wreckage... probably beyond what most would be able to do given the scene.

Rahula, you did the right thing and I like to think *most* people would do this & the people who just pass by are in the minority.

Quick Reply: Just witnessed a rather nasty accident