Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Just got left for dead by a focus ST!

Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

I still drive my s2 even though I have the M3

Different beasts with something in common... Great motors
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a drive of my mates standard 06 focus st3 a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't driven one before and knew they are supposed to be quite nice, i also have my ep3 as i do like a hot hatch. It does feel quicker than the S2k, but on a short drag the S2k would stay level until the car was into the power and then it would just slowly pull away, tried it a couple of times with the same results.

The ST to drive left me never wanting to own one, high driving position, soft seats, the car feels really heavy on turn in, torque steer was horrible. As much as Honda gets abuse for lack of torque, they make a great car to drive
Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey81
I had a drive of my mates standard 06 focus st3 a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't driven one before and knew they are supposed to be quite nice, i also have my ep3 as i do like a hot hatch. It does feel quicker than the S2k, but on a short drag the S2k would stay level until the car was into the power and then it would just slowly pull away, tried it a couple of times with the same results.

The ST to drive left me never wanting to own one, high driving position, soft seats, the car feels really heavy on turn in, torque steer was horrible. As much as Honda gets abuse for lack of torque, they make a great car to drive
I didn't get much torque steer at all wearing Conti 2's, it's a slight nip to one side when your really floor it. Hardly surprising though?
Worse in the VXR of the same year circa 2006/7, they tug like mad.

Agree on the high driving position, Ford got that wrong plus you get rattles behind the dashboard. I guess when you get used to the pops & bangs on the over-run, it all gets a bit long in the tooth. I'm still fond of them, chavvy as they are
Old 05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1399356793' post='23146044
[quote name='calisfar' timestamp='1399323738' post='23145343']
The mate who I bought the S2000 off had an ST before the honda and I always said it's nice enough but at the end of the day it's still a Ford Focus
Very true.

There's always something faster and often it's something that cost relative peanuts.

It is a source of great pleasure to me that I will never need to own a hatchback and then be forced into deciding between common things like Foci, Civics, Meganes, etc.
Just wait 'til the money dries up....
[/quote]

Nothing to do with money - I just don't like hatchbacks and if I need to cart stuff about I'd have an estate or hire a van or pickup. If I could have 100 cars I don't think there'd be a hatch in the list.

Plus my partner always has a hatch so my dislike (or complete disinterest) and what I need means I'll never have to own one

Old 05-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
Originally Posted by Mikey81' timestamp='1399467403' post='23148133

I didn't get much torque steer at all wearing Conti 2's, it's a slight nip to one side when your really floor it. Hardly surprising though?
Worse in the VXR of the same year circa 2006/7, they tug like mad.

Agree on the high driving position, Ford got that wrong plus you get rattles behind the dashboard. I guess when you get used to the pops & bangs on the over-run, it all gets a bit long in the tooth. I'm still fond of them, chavvy as they are
you don't get torque steer on most moderns because the electronics cut the power

so it's 'puters not engineering

I don't think different tyres (assuming we rule out Nankangs and the like) make any difference
Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM

I've had a brief play with an ST (clearly standard) and not much in it in a straight line although I started to pull away slightly once a bit higher up the revs.

Standard they are quite lardy feeling cars but respond really well to a bit of tuning! I used to own an asbo orange one and a turbo back exhaust, air filter, intercooler and remap and it was pushing 300bhp. With a some suspension tweaks it was a fantastic car. Granted I ended up with an RS clutch as it slipped the standard clutch but in a straight line it would embarrass the s2000 (sounded fantastic to!)

S2000 is like the clio sports etc of the world...they are not designed for straight line speed! It's not what they are about.

My old tuned focus might have been considerably quicker in a straight line but I'll bet round a track there wouldn't be much in it.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D7PNY
I've had a brief play with an ST (clearly standard) and not much in it in a straight line although I started to pull away slightly once a bit higher up the revs.

Standard they are quite lardy feeling cars but respond really well to a bit of tuning! I used to own an asbo orange one and a turbo back exhaust, air filter, intercooler and remap and it was pushing 300bhp. With a some suspension tweaks it was a fantastic car. Granted I ended up with an RS clutch as it slipped the standard clutch but in a straight line it would embarrass the s2000 (sounded fantastic to!)

S2000 is like the clio sports etc of the world...they are not designed for straight line speed! It's not what they are about.

My old tuned focus might have been considerably quicker in a straight line but I'll bet round a track there wouldn't be much in it.
Agree with all this - I had an 07 ST with just a dreamscience handheld map - max was up to 270 bhp and it was a fast car with good legs the torque made it feel like a big motor - quite happy on the motorways keeping up with the v6 diesels & BM's etc. The S2000 is a clinical and more mechanical car - much more rewarding.

As much as the ST's engine was special and brought back memories of Audi Quattros in the forests, it was made by Volvo. The S2000's engine makes the car what it is, an engine developed by the Honda racing division alongside the NSX powerplant. I tend to look on it with a rose tint as there will never be another engine made like it and aside from the V10's of the LFA and CGT I don't know of any other engines that are so happy to rev to 9k and sound so enticing! For the money I doubt there is a more grin inducing car to compare....
Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by s2k4tony' timestamp='1399375971' post='23146214
[quote name='gaddafi' timestamp='1399356793' post='23146044']
[quote name='calisfar' timestamp='1399323738' post='23145343']
The mate who I bought the S2000 off had an ST before the honda and I always said it's nice enough but at the end of the day it's still a Ford Focus
Very true.

There's always something faster and often it's something that cost relative peanuts.

It is a source of great pleasure to me that I will never need to own a hatchback and then be forced into deciding between common things like Foci, Civics, Meganes, etc.
Just wait 'til the money dries up....
[/quote]

Nothing to do with money - I just don't like hatchbacks and if I need to cart stuff about I'd have an estate or hire a van or pickup. If I could have 100 cars I don't think there'd be a hatch in the list.

Plus my partner always has a hatch so my dislike (or complete disinterest) and what I need means I'll never have to own one

[/quote]

He has a hatch? You shock me. Tell him to buy something interesting.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by soulcrew
i never have this problem..most cars like staying behind me to hear the exhaust

but getting the vxr8 made me stop driving my s2000 as it just didnt have the oomph.
Your VXR8 is a bloody ace car - I will have one, one day!! The sooner they get to sub £12k, the better!!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:17 AM

twas good up the evo triangle that day

Quick Reply: Just got left for dead by a focus ST!