Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Just got left for dead by a focus ST!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has a turbo, it's probably gonna get you. The S2000 only produces 237bhp at 8300rpm. At every other time it is producing less.

If you look at the power curve for a OEM turbo car it'll be the same figure for 2-2500 revs which is probably 30% of it's rev range!

Put that in perspective for the S2000 and at 6000rpm it is producing about 170bhp and at 9000rpm it's back down to 220bhp.

If you can keep the revs really high you'll go well, but on the road this is tricky to do and it is oh so easy to get caught with your pants down.

The difference with these cars is that the engine is ripe for force induction should you want the nutter power.

But you should just enjoy the car for what it is and enjoy the challenge of you and the road
Old 05-04-2014, 12:28 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Yeah, but that requires a degree of skill at gearchanging & anticipation & throttle control, which few possess.

Far easier to have a car in which you can simply nail the throttle in a straight line with one hand on the wrong side of the wheel at any speed whilst wearing an inane leer.
One can make about anything go fast nowadays... finesse is another matter..

Old 05-04-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
If it has a turbo, it's probably gonna get you. The S2000 only produces 237bhp at 8300rpm. At every other time it is producing less.

If you look at the power curve for a OEM turbo car it'll be the same figure for 2-2500 revs which is probably 30% of it's rev range!

Put that in perspective for the S2000 and at 6000rpm it is producing about 170bhp and at 9000rpm it's back down to 220bhp.

If you can keep the revs really high you'll go well, but on the road this is tricky to do and it is oh so easy to get caught with your pants down.

The difference with these cars is that the engine is ripe for force induction should you want the nutter power.

But you should just enjoy the car for what it is and enjoy the challenge of you and the road
thats really put in into perspective for me!
Think supercharger is a must
Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

or buy a TVR?

Turbo motors have come a long way.. I've never owned one bar diesels but driven a fair few. I seriously looked at Scoobies years ago and the package just didn't appeal, really didn't enjoy the on/off power delivery and narrow power band.

never liked Fords either . the original RS Turbo Escrote was a good car with a shit engine imho
Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
or buy a TVR?
Don't tempt me

The S does seem a little underpowered compared to Today's hot hatches, but then that's what hot hatches are all about.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

I think stock vs stock you'd be fine albeit if you were 'on it'
Old 05-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Had a rolling start from 40mph with my friends new Fiesta ST with the Mountune upgrade. We were absolutely equal all the way, that was with my roof up which seemed to help compared to roof down. Not sure what the specs are for his upgraded car but I would expect the Focus ST to have the legs on the Honda, even standard spec.

I know which one I'd rather drive though - S all the way, it's just a fun car and that's from a guy who's previous motor was 340bhp @1.1bar
Old 05-05-2014, 04:03 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

I owned an ST, brand new back in 2006 (56 plate). Wearing Conti 2's, it was impressive in the corners and did exhibit the supposed lift off o/s and pretty neat at it too. Great handling thing for a lard-arse, and missing a trick diff to help at the bends. You're reliant on sticky rubber to keep things in order, not that it's particularly understeery. Mine started to get wayward once the tyres went past 5000 miles on the fronts. If i'm honest, it was nowehere near as ballistic or as involving as my Accord Type R. Mine wasn't remapped, I treasured my warranty more than dialling in extra burble and consumable wear. I had this idea that remapping would start to see it pushing out of corners too wide, with a lack of differential assistance. Might be wrong, but 212bhp in the lightweight Accord was far better. It was.
As a budget FWD thing, it's a snip! And lovely to tune. For me though, it does miss out on a proper diff, unlike it's successor RS. Such a shame they stopped making that RS, OTT cars like that are utterly brilliant.. especially in electric snot green. Probably the only "latest" Ford I'd stick on the drive. The RS500 being the daddy at £35k (350hp). There's one for sale in Bolton for 50k being so rare!
5-6k though gets you a pretty good example ST (if you look), as long as you don't mind the RX8 mpg. You'll never see 30.4 to the gallon which Ford claimed, and even though some don't factor in mpg, I still think its important to know if you're going to keep filling it up. They are thirsty.
Even though when I sold my ST, i remember thinking "ok, been there, done that...".. I'd never say never again because it was a pretty interesting 5 pot that gave quite a surprise once it got going. Cheap cars now, try one.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 PM

I had a little race with one of these the other month when on a pistonheads meet. I was in my r26r which is pushing out about 300bhp and he couldn't keep up with me! It was more apparent when coming out of bends and roundabouts......no idea what bhp it was running though.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your hell bent on leaving these sort of cars, turbo and don't bother supercharging. Before I wrote mine, I didn't get much chance to test it on much but I was literally pushing an audi R8 out of the way and I was backing off, it was the V8 version though.

You've got a car with forged internals as standard weighing circa 1.2 ton which is light by today's standards and potentially reliable 450 bhp per ton, still not masses of torque though which does count.

Still you can make anything fast throwing money at it, you don't have to throw an awful lot into the S to make it a weapon.

To put things into perspective I easily left a focus RS in my 335d which is a diesel I'd be more gutted getting done by a diesel.

Quick Reply: Just got left for dead by a focus ST!