Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Just got left for dead by a focus ST!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

There's a green one around here, H13ULK is the plate and i suspect it pops as much fuel out the back as it burns but my god does it sound nice and goes even better.

S2000 is a bit of a grandfather clock in the current world of things.

But then as i said to the chav in the Astra VXR Nurburging white special black wheel V++++ editon at the pumps the other night, yep yours is faster but your roof is stuck in place
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtMachineHead
:

Alright gents title says it all really,
Was driving round this evening in my s
and this st came very close to my arse
so guessed he wanted a little play.

So went down the slip road onto the bypass and put my foot down
at first i gained a little on it, then stayed about the same for a few seconds
then as got to about 60-70 he just came right up my arse again then flew straight passed me.
Now i know the standard 225ST are quite a bit slower to 60.
And i know stage one remap on them takes them to 270. stage 2 290 & stage 3 300+
Pretty sure it wasn't stage one because think they'd be neck and neck with the weight differences.
But yeah pretty shocked at how quickly it left me.
Any ideas on what you reckon it would be running?
I had my roof down, not sure if that would have affected my s's acceleration or not,
My s is also standard apart from a skunk2.
What colour was it mate? If it's who I think it is, no S would've standed a chance
Old 05-03-2014, 12:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Just to clear up a misconception. Engine torque figures on their own have nothing whatsoever to do with acceleration. You have to take into account rpms (and also gearing)

Acceleration is proportional to the engine's power output (which is torque x rpm). See my signature for a good explanation of it all.

Think about it, an S2000 with its 153lbft can out accelerate many diesel cars which have much higher torque figures because it has shorter gearing.

In a drag race as described above, both engines will be using their best power range, so torque figures matter even less. The Focus had been tuned to make more power, so it won. It's not really rocket science.

As Notts said, learn to make it go faster round corners (you don't need to add any bits to the car to do this) which is much more fun.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree on the fun/corners argument and straightline is pretty futile really - but - it is nice to have a bit of poke

However, this ST was rapid in both straight and corners. Was incredibly quick and that was against one of the fastest 4wds you can spend cash on. It was an orange rocket
Old 05-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Originally Posted by CurtMachineHead' timestamp='1399063921' post='23141593
:

Alright gents title says it all really,
Was driving round this evening in my s
and this st came very close to my arse
so guessed he wanted a little play.

So went down the slip road onto the bypass and put my foot down
at first i gained a little on it, then stayed about the same for a few seconds
then as got to about 60-70 he just came right up my arse again then flew straight passed me.
Now i know the standard 225ST are quite a bit slower to 60.
And i know stage one remap on them takes them to 270. stage 2 290 & stage 3 300+
Pretty sure it wasn't stage one because think they'd be neck and neck with the weight differences.
But yeah pretty shocked at how quickly it left me.
Any ideas on what you reckon it would be running?
I had my roof down, not sure if that would have affected my s's acceleration or not,
My s is also standard apart from a skunk2.
What colour was it mate? If it's who I think it is, no S would've standed a chance
It was orange matey, i have seen it round wrexham before, and mentioned it to my mate, and he seems to think he knows who it is, and he reckons its was 350hp !

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Just to clear up a misconception. Engine torque figures on their own have nothing whatsoever to do with acceleration. You have to take into account rpms (and also gearing)

Acceleration is proportional to the engine's power output (which is torque x rpm). See my signature for a good explanation of it all.

Think about it, an S2000 with its 153lbft can out accelerate many diesel cars which have much higher torque figures because it has shorter gearing.

In a drag race as described above, both engines will be using their best power range, so torque figures matter even less. The Focus had been tuned to make more power, so it won. It's not really rocket science.

As Notts said, learn to make it go faster round corners (you don't need to add any bits to the car to do this) which is much more fun.
Well, i've heard the opposite before but you seem to know what you are talking about so

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper
I agree on the fun/corners argument and straightline is pretty futile really - but - it is nice to have a bit of poke

However, this ST was rapid in both straight and corners. Was incredibly quick and that was against one of the fastest 4wds you can spend cash on. It was an orange rocket
Didn't think they were that great in corners tbh!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova

Yeah, but that requires a degree of skill at gearchanging & anticipation & throttle control, which few possess.

Far easier to have a car in which you can simply nail the throttle in a straight line with one hand on the wrong side of the wheel at any speed whilst wearing an inane leer.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Mines fast enough around the corners...

If you drive to the rule of being able to stop in the line of sight.

Oh and I've been blown off by a few fiesta STs in the past.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes that's one of them mate! can't remember the lads name that owns it, lovely motor. If you see what looks to be a standard looking dark grey one, don't try it, over 400bhp right sleeper!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to drive an rs. Might go and test one. Don't want one but like to see how quick they are.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
There's a green one around here, H13ULK is the plate and i suspect it pops as much fuel out the back as it burns but my god does it sound nice and goes even better.

S2000 is a bit of a grandfather clock in the current world of things.

But then as i said to the chav in the Astra VXR Nurburging white special black wheel V++++ editon at the pumps the other night, yep yours is faster but your roof is stuck in place
I don't know anything about that version of the VXR but I once bad a play with the normal new shape vxr and there wasn't anything in it. It's nearly 300bhp but it's also very heavy. My top was down too so I was infinitely cooler

Quick Reply: Just got left for dead by a focus ST!