Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Insurance question

Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance question

Hopefully somebody on here will be able to answer the following...

I recently hired a car abroad and for one reason or another it got slightly damaged.
I had collision damage waiver cover, but was liable to pay any policy excess. The damage excess that I was charged was €230 so not a major amount of money.

I am covered for this kind of excess on my annual travel insurance so I could claim the full amount back.

What I'd like to know is whether all types/branches of insurance share data. I know that car insurance companies share date with each other, but would a holiday insurance company share details with car insurance companies ?

I don't want to have to declare this incident to UK car insurance PLC as no doubt my premiums will go up and I'll end up paying more than the amount I could claim back.

I would like to make a claim on my holiday insurance for obvious reasons, but am happy to let it go for the reason mention above.

If anybody knows how these things work I'd be grateful for some insider knowledge.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how or why a car insurer would check your holiday insurer for car related accidents, unless there was a strong suspicion of fraud involved with any future motor claims.

AFAIK, motor insurers just check on the MID (Motor Insurer Database) and CUEPI (which checks for injury claims) for previous car accidents/motor claims/injury claims. I don't think this picks up any other non-related insurance claims.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.

Anybody else able to shed any light on this ?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, but a related topic for a bump if I may Lee?

Was wondering if I need declare something similar.

I just found you can get your records here:

DSAR Form for Insurance Information

If you need to determine who you are insured with, or obtain details of your insurance history, MIB can provide this information under a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR).

Please note that the only information we can search for is a Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM) and that records are only held for 7 years. We also have to be certain of your identity so that we can protect your personal information.

There is an administration charge for providing the service of searching for information and this charge is non-refundable even if no record of insurance can be found. We can only accept payment by cheque or postal order.

To enable us to make a search of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) on your behalf please complete the following:

DSAR form

and return it with the administration fee of £10.00 to the address supplied on the form.

Subject to the form and payment being correct, the UK Information Centre will send the details by post to you as soon as possible. If you have any enquiries please call them on 0845 165 2800

What is interesting on another page is this:

"A search of the MID can only be conducted using the full Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM). It is not possible to search on a name, or address, or policy number or even a partial VRM.

The information held on the database is supplied by motor insurance companies and reflects the information that has been supplied to them by the policyholder."

I was under the impression that if you failed to tell your insurer about an accident prior with another company you would be sunk.
But it seems that unless they specifically search the previous VRM then this is impossible?
Not as far reaching as I thought then!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

First of all most europian hire firms wont go through their insurers for minor damage just go to a local repairer and pay the minimum so that cars details won't be logged as having had an accident, when you claimed against your travel insurence all you would have given them is a recript for your loss not a copy of an insurence claim or details of the accident, so your travel insurer will not have anything to pass on.

I had a similar experence when I scraped a company car at a petrol station, my company asked for details from my licence and my own insurers details, i asked if they were going to make a claim, they said as the damage was minor they wouldn't be going through the insurence, therefore I told them to sod off!

There is a great deal of anamosity between europian authoroties (DVLA included) and insurence companies etc, the liklyhood of any information tranfer is minimal.